The world is full of injustices...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weight has nothing to do with DOT regulations regarding loads that extend beyond the end of the vehicle. Neither does if it is for business or personal reasons. If you are carrying a 12 ft board on top of a Honda Civic and it extends beyond the rear of the vehicle, a red flag should be attached to alert other drivers of that. FMCSA does not apply, but state DOT regulations do. Some states, it may be 5 ft. Other states, it is 3 ft. States vary.

There is no way to ascertain if he is illegal on GVWR without putting out the portable scales. Again, my first thought when I saw it was not the weight or size of the load, but that it extended beyond the rear of the vehicle.

You're confusing DOT regulations with state statutes. USDOT FMCSA regulations do not apply to any vehicle registered for less than 10,001#, and some only apply above 26,000#. DOT regulations never apply to any vehicle not being operated in commerce. While he could certainly ticketed for over weight/length violations there would be no DOT paperwork involved.

I wish I got photos of some of the stuff I have seen in Texas near the Mexico border.

There are insurance auctions outside of El Paso.

I have seen some INSANE stuff on I-10 going towards El Paso and Cuidad Juarez.

The Mexicans will buy 10-12 Wrecked cars, and they will flat tow them with other wrecked cars.

I seen a wrecked dodge caravan towing two cars with chains behind it.

Then I seen a Toyota Matrix towing two cars as well.

Apparently it is quasi legal if they write the word IN-TOW on the vehicles rear window in paint marker.

Towing two cars in tandem like that into the Davis mountains looked like a method of sure death. I was sure to pass them as quickly as I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back