Hastings LF655

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a Hastings or Baldwin fan after opening up many. I tried to be.
This is a hard shot unless you have 3 hands.
Look center left and you will see a yellow dot. The center tube at the top was bent or rolled roughly and it has a long gap where the sealant is not wide enough to seal off the media. later I will open it to see how bad it is. with a flashlight it is over 3/4 inch long and the seam is over .150" wide easily.
It shows up as flashing a bit where the metal of the center tube is distorted where it contacts the underside of the baseplate.

These filters just seem poorly made to me these days.

This may help a bit....... Go to the top of the word Above.... sorry I need some arrows
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
Baldwin and Hastings are fine filters, dad uses both on all his equipment
wink.gif

May be like MC filters with the bad come the good.
Since I have been using Ultras and canister MG's etc. the last c&p of Hastings and Baldwins turn me off.
Short OCI's and they look half as good as a OCOD..........

ooo a Hastings with a silicone ADBV!
20.gif

Hastings/Baldwin makes the best slotted center tubes
smile.gif

Do you know if the Wix 51348 uses round holes or louvers?

I have a Baldwin B37 with that same issue, ragged edge of center tube not sealed on the end, not long enough. Also the thread on the tapping plate is not perpendicular to the tapping plate. Great design and engineering, thick can and so on, but the assembly process leaves something to be desired. I posted pics before, people don't want to hear or see it, no response. It should still work, but why buy defects. It's possible some of the ragged edge could come off and go right to the main bearings.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I have a Baldwin B37 with that same issue, ragged edge of center tube not sealed on the end, not long enough. Also the thread on the tapping plate is not perpendicular to the tapping plate. Great design and engineering, thick can and so on, but the assembly process leaves something to be desired. I posted pics before, people don't want to hear or see it, no response. It should still work, but why buy defects. It's possible some of the ragged edge could come off and go right to the main bearings.

I agree. I did cut it open and it was clean and good... Can't post pics at the moment however the tube issue gives it a failing grade. Now the older Federated labeled Hastings were perfect.
Now the can on this model Is Not that robust. Thanks

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
ooo a Hastings with a silicone ADBV!
20.gif

Hastings/Baldwin makes the best slotted center tubes
smile.gif

Do you know if the Wix 51348 uses round holes or louvers?

No but one is on my list to look at. I think the Quantum Blues are Wix and they have holes.

I purchased 5 of these LF655s from Rockauto late last year....I just checked them and they don't have that issue (thankfully). Mine were made on 2/9/2016.

These filters seem solidly made and have a silicone ADBV....I would consider them on the same quality level as Wix Gold....I have no worries about using them.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I purchased 5 of these LF655s from Rockauto late last year....I just checked them and they don't have that issue (thankfully). Mine were made on 2/9/2016.

These filters seem solidly made and have a silicone ADBV....I would consider them on the same quality level as Wix Gold....I have no worries about using them.

+1

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
This may help a bit....... Go to the top of the word Above.... sorry I need some arrows
wink.gif

I think I see what you're pointing out. Make sure you take a good look and give us some pictures when you open it up. I've never seen one of them with a silicone ADBV, either, and that base plate looks peculiar to me, at least in comparison to other Baldwins I've seen. Of course, they've got a huge catalog, and I haven't seen a lot, clearly.

I just looked at the media.
I just took my thumb with very little pressure along each pleat and pressed- tear-tear-tear
Very easy and simple to tear the media. Not robust at all. most louvers are open but I'm starting to be anti louver.
Do we really want filtered oil to go through a maze just to get through a louver?

Honestly IMO only. I rank these as junk.......... If you don't that is fine but I'll stick with Ultras
for everything if I can get them.

For now this is the best I can do- top of the red marker shows the louvered tube way far away
from being sealed at the top. For over 3 inches its not sealed and bent-distorted inwards.

That's got to be hard to photograph. You almost would need an inspection camera to get a good view.

With respect to how easy it is to tear media when new, unused, and dry, it would be interesting to compare several cellulose filters side by side. It's tearing during use I'm worried about, not tearing when I'm trying to tear it. As for louvers, Hastings and Baldwin use a very different looking louver system than I've seen on other things, including the few louvered Wix examples I've come across. I trust the Hastings and Baldwin louvers. They look a lot harder to screw up.

I took a Fleetgard I cut open here last week ( LF3826) The media spacing is so super tight and very robust the thumb trick gets you nowhere and I love the extreme hole spacing on these- Swiss cheese look. They interchange in duty and thus the FG LF3826 will be my go to filter on this application. I agree and I think the thumb trick will at least yield some results that can get you started on your inspections. I would have thought simple very easy thumb pressure would not snap media like that. It had to have been very brittle and this will give me something to investigate with other makers. Basically we all have our favorites and that does not make them a quality product. That said I have ideas of what makes a great filter and so do other folks here and I'll just go with what I like and that's what we all have to do.

To me right now I personally will avoid any filter with wide pleat spacing especially if it is long in the height ( taller filter) You are asking for tears.

Originally Posted By: Garak
That's got to be hard to photograph. You almost would need an inspection camera to get a good view.

With respect to how easy it is to tear media when new, unused, and dry, it would be interesting to compare several cellulose filters side by side. It's tearing during use I'm worried about, not tearing when I'm trying to tear it. As for louvers, Hastings and Baldwin use a very different looking louver system than I've seen on other things, including the few louvered Wix examples I've come across. I trust the Hastings and Baldwin louvers. They look a lot harder to screw up.

I used to use Hastings filters on my Firebird with the GM 3800 and was very impressed with the construction, especially for the price. Their efficiency ratings weren't anything to write home about, per what they emailed me after requesting them. However, it was nice of them to actually provide me with specifics for that part number. When cut open, all of the pleats were still straight and the ADBV was still working fine... even after hours of stop & go and fairly hard driving in car cruises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back