Ravenol 0W16 video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mods please delete if this is duplicate.

The video is in Russian but you can follow along with the visuals. Interesting claims if they are legit, but also not surprising on things like increased fuel economy.

https://youtu.be/TEX_RkZ4DO0

Only problem with that video is they compare their HTHS 2.4 oil with a C3 HTHS 3.5 oil, and of course there is going to be a big fuel economy increase!! Most of the fuel economy gains are from the thinner oil films that a low HTHS gives you.
A more reasonable comparison would be to compare any SN 5w30 (HTHS 3.0) to their SN 0w16 (HTHS 2.4), because who would pick a C3 oil and then switch all the way over to their low-HTHS oil? Not fair.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

The video is in Russian but you can follow along with the visuals.

You can turn on CC and then in Settings make it translate to English.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Only problem with that video is they compare their HTHS 2.4 oil with a C3 HTHS 3.5 oil, and of course there is going to be a big fuel economy increase!! Most of the fuel economy gains are from the thinner oil films that a low HTHS gives you.
A more reasonable comparison would be to compare any SN 5w30 (HTHS 3.0) to their SN 0w16 (HTHS 2.4), because who would pick a C3 oil and then switch all the way over to their low-HTHS oil? Not fair.

Good point. But it was interesting that they showed less "wear" from such a thinner oil film.

Also, the tested Toyota Aygo is specified for a 0w20 in Germany. Castrol suggest using this oil:

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/DBC578FA40A7A62E802580A4003C1A56/$File/BPXE-AHGR23.pdf

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Good point. But it was interesting that they showed less "wear" from such a thinner oil film. Also, the tested Toyota Aygo is specified for a 0w20 in Germany. Castrol suggest using this oil:
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/DBC578FA40A7A62E802580A4003C1A56/$File/BPXE-AHGR23.pdf

Yep, Ravenol says to use their HTHS 2.4 oil anywhere an HTHS 2.6 oil is recommended. It doesn't seem like it leaves much room for possible fuel dilution. Without fuel dilution, I think it would be fine. If you compared the 0w16 Ravenol to a good 0w20, fuel economy would probably only improve by, guessing, 0.3% or so.

I am wondering about those wear claims too. Sometimes a thick C3 oil won't get to the rings as well, creating a little more wear. Alternatively, Ravenol has some genuinely good performing additives which handle metal to metal well.

I'll have to say,there's no way a Via is hard on oil. Run that oil in a raced/tracked twin turbo V8 and let's see what happens.

OP-appreciate the video--& OFM-thanks much for the translated version.
Thoughts:
A German company using a dude with a British accent what's up with that--?
Notice they never say ZERO-16, it's always the letter O-16
Steve

If anyone knows how to find this for a decent price I am more than willing to try it on my car and do a UOA. I found it on amazon for 11$ a liter...

It's virtually a monograde...aka no shear, which is what I've been saying since this oil first hit BITOG.

If I had a Prius, I'd use it over platiscised GrIII 0W20 any day.

Ravenol says to use it any time a 0w20 is spec'ed. For the brave only I guess. Certainly in about any Hybrid in the winter cuz they are famous for having a hard time getting to operating temperature in cold weather anyway.
At least Eneos limits their application list to specifically: http://www.eneos.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/ENEOS-0W16-Compatibility-List_12-5-16.pdf
In that list, you should be able to figure out if your North American, etc., engine is the same as what they list for differently named models. Find out the engine code, and you've got it.

Only oil analysis was performed and not any engine inspection. The [censored] they sat about API standards and how this oil meets them, means nothing. Real world testing was performed based on UOA, which they determined good TBN retention and viscosity stability, yeah and fuel economy.
Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back