Tire recommendations 2016 Grand Caravan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at Tire Rack, they are recommending General Altimax RT43 or Continental Truecontact (225/65/17). Ideally, I would put dedicated snow tires in the winter. But that would be dependent upon ability to afford them. Can I count on decent winter traction with either of these tires? Other recommendations? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: otis24
Looking at Tire Rack, they are recommending General Altimax RT43 or Continental Truecontact (225/65/17). Ideally, I would put dedicated snow tires in the winter. But that would be dependent upon ability to afford them. Can I count on decent winter traction with either of these tires? Other recommendations? Thanks!
truecontacts hands down. They are great in the rain and snow. I got rid of my factory procontacts with 8/32 if tread left because i got a good deal on a set of truecontacts at work. I just did a tire rotation and oil change on my Malibu today and i can't even tell if they are wearing yet.

Nothing against either tire but, they are all season tires w/o snowflake/mtn rating. They aren't going to be as good as a winter tire when the snow and ice comes. I'm up in the Colorado Rockie w/ a 2wd f150. I use Blizzaks in the winter vs the Michelin LTX M/S2s I'd run during the summer and fall. I keep about 350 lbs of ballast in the bed and the only time I've ever used chains with the Blizzaks was after a spring storm that dropped two inches of hail followed by twelve inches of snow. The Michelin's are great all season tir tires but, they don't hold a candle to the Blizzaks in winter. All season tires don't have the grip, especially for slowing down and braking that a winter tire does. If you can afford winter tires, they are well worth the investment.

DTD should have sale come Black Friday. Save your pennies and buy a set then, perhaps. Cruise your local CL and see if anyone decides to sell some Caravan takeoffs--actually, look and see what else will bolt up properly, same bolt pattern, offset, etc.

Heck sometimes you can get good takeoffs (steel rims with good condition rubber) on CL.

While I agree that a good snow tire is always better, there is something to be said for getting decent all seasons. That way you don't have to put snows on at Thanksgiving "just in case" or having to sweat out every predicted flurry. I have the RT43's and will recommend them as a decent tire. Good in snow (for an a/s) when new. I suspect a heavy Caravan might chew them up relatively quickly, not an LRR tire (or weren't when I was shopping) but a decent tire.

I am very impressed with Falken's Ziex ZE950 A/S tires on my wife's 2013 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I have a set of dedicated winter tires for her vehicle but we have driven in all sorts of weather and it truly excels in them all dry/wet/snow/ice with a quiet comfortable ride and decent tread life. The wet weather handling is exceptional even with 6/32's of an inch remaining. We drove home from the INDY 500 in some torrential rains and we witnessed an Audi S4 and Buick Lacrosse hydroplane and spin out of control just in front of us on a curve into the ditch (Audi) and hit the median (Buick) while I maintained the speed limit confidently.

http://falkentire.com/tires/car-tires/ziex-ze950/s-tire

I really like the General Altimax RT43 tires and have put several sets in my inlaws cars. Never used the Truecontact but they also look like a good tire. I'd use which ever is the cheapest of those 2.

The RT43 is very popular on here, as is the Cooper CS5. Some other good choices are:
Falken Ziex ZE950
Kumho Crugen KL33
Nitto NT421Q
Yokohama Avid Ascend
Yokohama Geolandar G055

First, you should decide whether you're going use dedicated snow tires or not. You can probably afford them since you have a new car.

But if you decide to stick with one set of tires, and snow traction is of high importance, consider an "all weather" tire like the Vredestein Quatrac 5, Toyo Celsius, or the upcoming Goodyear WeatherReady (should be out by the end of the summer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back