Will a nitrile adbv last 10k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im sure this has been discussed on here but I can't find a subject title .. So can a rubber valve last 10k even through a harsh winter?
The hastings/baldwins are well made as the Mahle but these dont have the silicon adbv ?

Last edited:
I've seen some that do, others are rock hard at sub 5k. I'm guessing oil temperatures play a role there.

Why even risk it? If I was running a 10K OCI, I would be stepping up to a better filter anyways that had a silicone ADBV and better media.

They will be fine
smile.gif

Will nitrile they last for 10K. Probably. But silicon is better. I use Mc filters(Silicon) for 10K and the ADBV always looks good.

The Toyota adbv is black, but may be silicone. They feel more like silicone than nitrile to me. I have very old used ones that look and act new when cleaned up. I put one in the freezer, stayed pliable. Someone posted here a 1949 Ford truck manual recommended using the filter for two changes. I still do one anyway.

Are the FRAM Ultras made with black silicone ADBVs and baseplate seals, or are they nitrile? I get a lot more friction when I spin off the filter than filters with (red) silicone baseplate seals, so I'd assumed both were nitrile on the Ultra.

The filter is rated for 15K miles, so if it's nitrile, then I guess the answer is "it depends." Some nitrile gets brittle. Others can take the heat cycling.

Originally Posted By: Arved
Are the FRAM Ultras made with black silicone ADBVs ....

I’ve never seen an Ultra with a black ADBV - what number are you using?

Originally Posted By: Arved
Are the FRAM Ultras made with black silicone ADBVs and baseplate seals, or are they nitrile? I get a lot more friction when I spin off the filter than filters with (red) silicone baseplate seals, so I'd assumed both were nitrile on the Ultra.

The filter is rated for 15K miles, so if it's nitrile, then I guess the answer is "it depends." Some nitrile gets brittle. Others can take the heat cycling.

Please state your Fram Ultra part number with a black silicone ADBV?

Ugh... My mistake. My sincerest apologies. XG3614. Bright orange ADBV, but a black gasket.

164904387.HCZn8OES.jpg

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste," but I had fun doing it.

I'd say it really depends on how FAST you put those 10,000 miles on the car. Because I put over 500 miles per week on my daily driver, I can easily hit 10,000 miles in 5 months, and IMHO, most nitrile ADBVs would be just fine after that.

Most people, however, take much longer to hit 10,000 miles. My mom, for example, would take approximately 4 years to drive 10,000 miles in her MR2. No way would I want to risk that long with a nitrile ADBV.

Good point. all that time through all the seasons with cold and heat. I usually change oil every 6 months but trying to clean things up a bit with a a few 5 k ocis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back