Skyactiv 2.5t DI high compression - oil choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got new 2017 CX9 with it's unique 2.5l turbo , Direct Injected, high compression , dynamic pressure turbo

http://wardsauto.com/2017/2017-winner-mazda-cx-9-25l-dohc-turbocharged-i-4

Mazda is calling for 5-30 oil , i wanted to use GC 0-30 (on amazon 6pack 42usd with long wait fro delivery in prime) or go with Walmart's super tempting Castrol Edge 0-40 (made in Belgium, 5 qts jug 23usd ! ) I think both should be a good choice for this application my concern is if thicker 0-40 will not lower fuel economy over little lighter 0w-30.... I live in Florida, is 0 cold rated ok , should I maybe go with Rotela 5-40 ????

Don't use Rotella, there are much better choices then that. Including the two you mentioned. Also Mobil 5w30 is a good oil with easy accessibility at a good price.

Last edited:
As the owner of a DIT engine, you might want to acquaint yourself with a little potential problem called LSPI!

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4307779/Infineum_on_Quenching_LSPI

My car was recalled for this a while back (along with WRXs using a similar 2.0l DIT engine) and Chevy just had a recall for their 1.5l DITs. The first vehicle I've heard of having a problem with LSPI was the Veloster Turbo. These all involve smaller engines than yours, but it's still not a bad idea to educate yourself about the issue! Seems like quite abundant Ford Ecoboost DITs are not showing up as LSPI sensitive, no idea about Mazda. The link between LSPI and oil in DITs seems to be through minute droplets of oil pre-igniting the air-fuel mixture under certain conditions of low RPM and high engine output.

The new dexos1 Gen 2 standard is going live in September includes an LSPI test, so buying oils with that license in the future might make sense for DIT owners. GF-6 will also have an LSPI test, but it was just pushed back to 2019! The rule of thumb that I came away with when first learning about the issue and its relationship to the oil used was to avoid high calcium oils, later on Infineum mentioned that sodium was an LSPI accelerant when used in combination with calcium. The issue appears to be complex enough that such cut and dried rules are probably not sufficient, but I still use M1 5W30 oils that are low in calcium and don't use sodium. Castrol Edge 5W30 was also low calcium not so long ago, but seems to have been reformulated to a medium dose within the last few years. Rotella T6 5W40 was actually a very low calcium oil, but I'm not sure if anything changed in the very recent reformulation...

Hope you enjoy your new ride!

Castrol Magnatec is highly regarded by EcoBoost owners with stellar UOAs to back it up, why not run that and stay within the manufacturer's recommended viscosity as well? It's already licensed for dexos1 generation 2, so as a bonus you can rest assured it's been blended to help reduce the risk of LSPI too.

+1 run what the manufacture recommends with regards to viscosity and type. I like 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1 or Castrol Magnatec as mentioned above. ed

Does the owners manual have any allowances for different grades? My subaru has 0w20 and then all the way up to 20w50 depending on climate and if you're towing etc. So it accepts basically anything.

The 0w40 castrol is hard to beat at that price.

Wow that LSPI is a serious problem , not sure how MAZDA's 2.5 DI and 2.5 DIT engines are affected , our Mazda 3 with 2.5 DI is perfect at 45K miles on 5-20 PU and I do use Red Line's S1 full fuel system synth cleaner .... It works great if used every 3-5K miles right before oil change. Can Redline S1 help with preventing LSPI ??? In CX9 2.5t Mazda calls for 5-30 Castrol oil , not sure why Mazda officially calls for Castrol , can it be due to it's chemistry / formula best fits this engine? So I thought that Castrol's 0-30 is much better than it's 5-30 so why not use 0-30....???

Last edited:
Mobil 1 5w-30 or 10w-30. The 10w-30 is a bit thicker at operating temp and has less VII so it's more shear stable.

I'd read your OM carefully and see if you are able to run anything besides 5w-30 without breaking warranty.

Castrol pays Mazda to get their recommendation. Any quality brand 5w-30 synthetic will work but considering this is a turbo GDI, look for oils with lower NOACK numbers in addition to low calcium additive amounts. Mobil has some good oils there.

Here is what I found :

Many factors have been demonstrated to impact LSPI, including: engine designs, fuel composition, and lubricant composition. On the lubricant side, the most noticeable impact has been from the detergent chemistry. Oils with higher concentrations of calcium, which is found in many detergent systems, have been shown to increase the frequency of LSPI. The exact chemistry of the detergent is less important to LSPI than the calcium content. Conversely, magnesium-based detergents do not seem to promote LSPI. Although reducing calcium may seem like a solution to control LSPI, there may be other performance tradeoffs to consider. In addition there are other additives that can also help reduce LSPI events. This provides an opportunity to formulate for robust LSPI performance, while maintaining the level of detergency needed to help keep engines clean and neutralize acids generated during combustion.
Aside from the detergent system, there are many other additive and lubricant compositions that can influence LSPI. Molybdenum compounds, for example, not only provide frictional benefits, but also have been shown to decrease LSPI when used at high levels. Base oils also affect LSPI events. Both the quality of the base stock (i.e. Group II versus Group III) and the viscosity can have secondary effects on LSPI. The effect on LSPI from these other lubricant aspects are not as significant as the detergent system, but can shift the LSPI frequency in oils that are more prone to LSPI.

Originally Posted By: M6ser
Mazda is calling for 5-30 oil....

What else are they calling for, besides just the viscosity. What specifications are they calling for? Just being given a viscosity, and nothing else, well, we can fire off examples as far removed from each other as you can imagine. The G37 is in that camp, and can use an ordinary ILSAC 5w-30, or a 5w-30 HDEO, or a 5w-30 C3. Most manuals aren't worded like that, though.

As far as I know, Mazda is specific on the 5w-30 but there are no additional requirements required. No special specs of any sort.

Originally Posted By: W3DRK
Castrol Magnatec is highly regarded by EcoBoost owners with stellar UOAs to back it up, why not run that and stay within the manufacturer's recommended viscosity as well? It's already licensed for dexos1 generation 2, so as a bonus you can rest assured it's been blended to help reduce the risk of LSPI too.

I'm not sure how the dexos1 Gen 2 rollout is going to work...I'm assuming that I'll have to see the new logo on a bottle to be sure that formulation passed the LSPI test, but somebody on here reported seeing an oil (M1 AP?) with the new dexos1 Gen 2 license number but not the corresponding logo.

I'm really not sure what the right answer is, but I'm not assuming that oil on the shelf now that is listed online as having a dexos1 Gen 2 license has necessarily passed the LSPI test. Here's the list, btw...

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

I'm not entirely sure, but I imagine if the new license number is printed on the bottle then it's safe to assume it's the new formulation. Otherwise who knows---perhaps the bottles already contain the updated formula and marketing hasn't released new labels yet, or it could still be the old dexos1 product.

I have 6 qt of the 5w-30 Magnatec "Full Synthetic" variety waiting at home for the next OC on my 2.0 EcoBoost, I'll have to take a look and see if it's got the new license number printed on the back.

Either way, since the EcoBoost (and presumably the Skyactive 2.5T) don't seem to suffer from LSPI, I'm not too worried about it. Interestingly enough, Ford's 2.0 EcoBoost uses the Mazda "L" engine bottom-end...although besides ring gap, I imagine LSPI susceptibility is more a byproduct of combustion chamber design and tuning than the reciprocating assembly or anything else. (Pure speculation on my end)

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I'm not sure how the dexos1 Gen 2 rollout is going to work...I'm assuming that I'll have to see the new logo on a bottle to be sure that formulation passed the LSPI test, but somebody on here reported seeing an oil (M1 AP?) with the new dexos1 Gen 2 license number but not the corresponding logo.

I'm really not sure what the right answer is, but I'm not assuming that oil on the shelf now that is listed online as having a dexos1 Gen 2 license has necessarily passed the LSPI test. Here's the list, btw...

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back