My $300 Score!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
But there are lots of other stuff you can do. Quick struts all around, front/rear sway bar links, tie rods, motor mounts, ball joints, plugs, ............etc, etc . See above.

.....learn Chinese,.....take up knitting.....have a sex change operation.

But they probably aren't necessary either.

Hahahaha!

Hate to spoil the lovefest, I had three of these for company cars. The front seats are beyond uncomfortable-if you spend any amount of time in them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
For about $1.5k all in that is going to be a sweet ride.

How'd you figure $1.5k? $300 car + around $400 for tires.

Can't see compressor, ATF, brakes making up the remaining $800.

Maybe he quoted a price if a shop did the work.

That's one heck of a steal for $300. Enjoy the car.

But there are lots of other stuff you can do. Quick struts all around, front/rear sway bar links, tie rods, motor mounts, ball joints, plugs, ............etc, etc . See above.

13.gif
I didn't extrapolate quite the same , but was also thinking that list was pretty long!

Originally Posted By: CKN
Hate to spoil the lovefest, I had three of these for company cars. The front seats are beyond uncomfortable-if you spend any amount of time in them.
Me too, I still have nightmares about the 2 '99s my family had-oil pan leaks, rust in weird places, numerous bad rack & pinions... Hopefully they improved by '03!

Nice! I bought my 2000 Ford Taurus wagon in 2008 @90k miles for $3300. You did well!

I can see from the side sticker you have the DOHC. This is a GREAT motor, decent power in my wagon (better in the sedan) and decent gas mileage (mid to high 20s).

I've got the oil pan leak but it doesn't even hit the floor...just weeps a bit on the pan. I had it fixed/replaced a few year ago and it started again 2 to 3 years later...not worth doing.

Last edited:

I don't know about that.
I'm 6'4" 275 #'s and spent 2.5 hours a day in one for over 275K.
I can tell you the seats are better than the ones in a '12 Accord.

Originally Posted By: 2002 Maxima SE
Nice! I bought my 2000 Ford Taurus wagon in 2008 @90k miles for $3300. You did well!

I can see from the side sticker you have the DOHC. This is a GREAT motor, decent power in my wagon (better in the sedan) and decent gas mileage (mid to high 20s).

I've got the oil pan leak but it doesn't even hit the floor...just weeps a bit on the pan. I had it fixed/replaced a few year ago and it started again 2 to 3 years later...not worth doing.

I'm pretty sure it's leaking on this one too. I cleaned the bottom off with a pressure washer and some degreaser...it looks like it's coming from the oil pan. Oh well, it doesn't drip either.

Originally Posted By: 2002 Maxima SE

Retorquing the pan bolts fixed it on my mother's Sable.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

I don't know about that.

Try 6 to 7 hours a day and get back to me.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

I don't know about that.

Try 6 to 7 hours a day and get back to me.

I have done that many hours in that car before.
The seats are still better than the ones in a '12 Accord.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

13.gif
I didn't extrapolate quite the same , but was also thinking that list was pretty long!

Actually I had the same type car and got over 200k out of it. Those were the things I did to it over the 10+ years I owned one, he might only need half the stuff on that original list. But certain things like quick struts and sway bar links I did multiple times as they didn't last that long. I always dropped the pan and changed the filter on the transmission, I think it took about 7 quarts, Supertech Mercon V worked fine. I think in 2003 though they went with a weaker spline in the transmission. My torque converted ended up giving out a bit over 200k. I also had the power leather seats and they were fine even on long trips, believe it or not, my Mercedes E350 is actually more uncomfortable on long trips and it's a common complaint about MB seats too.

Nice score Tom. Looks good.
thumbsup2.gif
Rain Man would approve too. Course he still thinks it costs about hundred dollars, but he wouldn't be too far off.

Enjoy it in good health.

Originally Posted By: tomcruise
I only paid $230 for them.

What kind of tires are they? Sounds like a great price.

You didn't do too bad for $300!

Was the compressor mounted low on the engine but blocked off by the subframe and hard lines too? If it was me, I'd drop the pan on that AX4N, change the filter/gasket and give it a fresh fill of MaxLife ATF or anything that lists Mercon V. A fresh fill of G-05 won't hurt either.

Excellent score for $300! I would have snatched it up too, if it were in my neighborhood. That's a nice looking car, and with the Duratec engine to boot.

I used to own a 2003 Sable LS with the same engine/trans combo. Nice car. Prior to that, I had a 2000 Taurus with the Vulcan. Also nice, but obviously not as peppy and not as many bells & whistles.

As others have said, if I were in your shoes, I would do a pan drop, fluid & filter change on that transmission. Easy way to extend the lifetime of the powertrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back