GM external voltage regulator replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad has a 2005 Saturn Relay with the 3500 V6. 125000 miles and runs great except it appears to have a charging problem. It seems any time the engine hits around 3000 rpm the headlights and the dash lights start flickering. The charging voltage also seems a bit high at around 14.5 volts. There's a TSB for the external voltage regulator and that's what I most often come across as the most likely culprit. Are they hard to change?

The external voltage reg is most likely a part of the body control module or ECM. But to me it sounds like the brushes are half shot in your alternator.

I've had one GM do this do to a loose connection at the alternator- voltages would spike 18+ volts and all sorts of dash lights would come on.

Also has this happen on our Aviator- get on it hard (engine RPMs over 4k and it too would spike the voltage into the 19v range! It was so bad that ALL the dash related stuff shut off for a moment! Not cool in the middle of the night. That was remedied with a new alternator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back