Delo 400 SDE

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is slightly different from the bottle on Chevrons website
Just in now from Amazon- was on sale.

Looks like a winner
smile.gif

Phosphorus too low for my bikes. Pass until someone is willing to guinea pig their shared sump bike with this oil and shows it is safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm betting the majors have a good alternative add pak, maybe proprietary ... I know Chevron was using organic calcium additives for a while. There have to be other good AW packages besides Ph & Zn... I'll bet they just won't show in VOA or UOA ...

The 50% reduction in wear is a BIG claim if they have nothing to back it up
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Phosphorus too low for my bikes. Pass until someone is willing to guinea pig their shared sump bike with this oil and shows it is safe.

Just bought a new dirt bike this spring and it has seen nothing but Delo 400 SDE so far. 20 hours and counting. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm on my first run of Delo 400 SDE CK4 15W40 in my Detroit Series 60. In a few more weeks, it'll be time for a pm service, and I'm planning to have a UOA done. I'll post my results when I do. I haven't noticed any difference in consumption compared to their CJ4 version, if that means anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Zn 800 ppm, Ph 760 ppm, Sulfur at 3000 ppm ... Whatever they are doing to make up for the lower Zn and Ph, is using sulfur in some way ...
The oil companies usually tries to give it equal to better anti-wear.

I may bite the bullet and try it in the Bug when I run out of all my high-ZDDP oil I've got stashed.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Zn 800 ppm, Ph 760 ppm, Sulfur at 3000 ppm ... Whatever they are doing to make up for the lower Zn and Ph, is using sulfur in some way ...

As I am not so sure about using it yet with the SN rating, I did some reading up on the reasoning for the high amount of sulfur. Just need to determine with sulfur they are using, active or inactive based on this article I will add from http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28548/sulfur-used-in-lubrication

What is the difference between total sulfur and active sulfur contents in extreme pressure additives? How does sulfur (both forms) increase extreme pressure (EP) characteristics?”

Sulfur is used in many EP oils and metal-working fluids as an EP additive. The basic way this works is for the sulfur to react at elevated temperatures, such as those experienced by meshing gears to form a sulfide layer. For example, for steel gears, an iron sulfide layer forms on the gear tooth surface. This ductile layer improves sliding contact, preventing scuffing or galling.

There are two types of sulfur compounds used — active and inactive sulfur. The main difference is that for active additives, the sulfur-containing additive reacts with the surface at much lower temperatures, whereas inactive compounds react only at much higher temperatures. While active additives have advantages of greater reactivity and hence may offer better anti-scuff protection, especially at lower temperatures, they are also mildly corrosive, particularly to yellow metals (brass, bronze, etc.), and should be avoided where these alloys are present.

The amount of active sulfur additive can be measured by first determining the total sulfur content using an appropriate ASTM test method, then reacting the active sulfur with copper powder and removing the copper sulfate by filtration, and again measuring the remaining total sulfur.

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that it's mostly inactive sulfur because many of the engines it has to go into still having bronze bushings in some locations. Any oil found to take out bushings will get a bad rap in hurry and the market will shrink ...

High temp and high pressure reactions would not bather most bronze bushing which only see modest pressures and temps
smile.gif

I'll pass. I think the Delo 15 minutes of fame is over.
Delvac is in the same boat.
Kind of crazy when a VOA of Supertech looks better than a major.

But we're comparing totally different specifications, so there should be no surprise here. These oils have things we don't see in VOAs. It's not like the oil companies grabbed some ordinary 10w-40 SN from the shelf and dumped it in the 15w-40 CK-4 or 15w-40 CK-4/SN bottles.

The Delvac conventional HDEO's are made from high quality GII+ ... guess add packs can't work in that stuff?
Based on the builder approvals and track record - I'm planning to use it more often (better NOACK and price than T6 too).

I'll start running VOA right after I run UOA - not - I can buy a whole oil change for that cost.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
I'll pass. I think the Delo 15 minutes of fame is over.
Delvac is in the same boat.
Kind of crazy when a VOA of Supertech looks better than a major.

The 15 minutes of fame at BITOG doesn't count. In it's intended application of heavy duty diesels, Delo will continue to be very popular (as will Delvac 1300). If they had taken the same old Delo (and again, Delvac) and just removed some of the phosphorus, that would be concerning, but we know that there's more to it than that.

The engineers and chemists at Chevron and Mobile probably don't realize the benefits that phosphorus and zinc have to offer. Someone should send them a link to BITOG so they can educate themselves on how to make a quality oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jgturbo
The engineers and chemists at Chevron and Mobile probably don't realize the benefits that phosphorus and zinc have to offer. Someone should send them a link to BITOG so they can educate themselves on how to make a quality oil.

Haha wise guy! Delvac Elite (syn-blend) still has the higher ZDDP for those who want it (at least in the 10W30).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
The Delvac conventional HDEO's are made from high quality GII+ ... guess add packs can't work in that stuff?

And up here, I wager that the CJ-4 stuff is long gone from the distributor, aside from certain product lines that happen to be CJ-4, like Delvac 1 LE 5w-30, for which the builder approvals are far more important than the API specs. But, that's CJ-4 and low phosphorus at the same time, so that must be a real paradox.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back