New Yard machines 163 Briggs mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls

I just changed the oil in one of these "life time oil" engines, it had thickened to such an extent that my oil extractor could not pump it out.... the new oil in was supertech 15w40

That is very hard to believe.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I have never changed the oil in my mower and it starts and runs just as good when I bought it new in 2002 when I bought my house.
It takes me an hour and 5 minutes to mow my lawn before doing trim work and blowing. My mower blows a little blue smoke on a cold start,
but I don't care.

C'mon! Treat that mower with a little love. Takes five whole minutes to change the oil.

I change my pushmower (small lawn) every three years. I use Rotella-6 Syn in 5W-40. No smoke whatsoever! But my spring-loaded choke system on this Honda engine is slowly going kaput and not worth a $125 estimated repair, when I can buy a new mower for $240.

The Yard Machine with that 163 engine is probably where I'm headed. My neighbor has one and I love using it. Man is-it light to push and the height adjustment is higher than mine.

Last edited:
I just bought a Toro Recycler with this Briggs EXi engine. Nice OHV design, quiet as a Honda, and easy to pull-start. I don't subscribe to the "no oil change" philosophy, but I know an overwhelming majority of homeowners already don't change their oil. All my neighbors are perfect examples of what Briggs is talking about.

Bought my Yard Machine riding lawn mower 10 years ago, and just did it's first oil change a few minutes ago.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Did you do UOA - might have gotten more years from the oil

You are a funny guy!

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Did you do UOA - might have gotten more years from the oil

Pointless.

The cost of getting the UOA will be the same or more as a few years worth of oil changes for a mower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back