F1 - 2017 Monaco Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was one of the races where I can actually catch the American network feed, rather than it being on your sports network that I don't get. But, I did stick to the Sky coverage for most of it, except when our feed went to picture in picture commercials. Then I'd do a check.

As for Kimi, them's the breaks. Verstappen suffered and Ricciardo gained, the same way Raikonnen and Vettel did. Both Kimi and Max should have realized that the gas pedal is the one on the right when it mattered, particularly Kimi. Sure, he had some traffic, but he was also losing time when he didn't have traffic.

Originally Posted By: Garak
As for Kimi, them's the breaks. Verstappen suffered and Ricciardo gained, the same way Raikonnen and Vettel did. Both Kimi and Max should have realized that the gas pedal is the one on the right when it mattered, particularly Kimi. Sure, he had some traffic, but he was also losing time when he didn't have traffic.

Thanks. I DVR'd this to watch after Indy.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Interesting how my last post in here from a few hours ago disappeared. I guess one of the mods is a Hamilton fan.

I can still see your childish post from a few hours ago. Or did you make another equally stupid post that is no longer there? I'm a HUGE Hamilton fan but I didn't delete anything.

Nope, that's not the one, but thanks!
wink.gif

Shame NBC's coverage changed over to NBCSN. Kimi looked like he was livid but I didn't get to see the podium and post-race interviews. I'm not sure if that went according to Ferrari's plan but you can't blame Vettel for running faster laps in clean air than he did. Their pit strategy just seemed off and favored Vettel. Understandable but lame.

Button's day did not turn out like I had hoped. Shame.

Originally Posted By: billt460
If someone gave that guy 3 cups of Espresso, he'd have a full blown coronary. I miss Peter Windsor. More knowledge without acting like he was jacked up on PCP.

You are so right. Windsor has more gravity than Buxton who really should be announcing soccer matches. SCORE!!!!!!

That's a little harsh. Buxton is knowledgeable and he always only has a limited amount of time compared to the main announcers. I guess he feels he needs to make impact! while he can. Heck, as good as Lee Giffey is, I'm still not over losing Bob Varsha. Bob was just better.

I'm a Ferrari Team supporter, so naturally I'm loving this season so far. But it's a long road to the points final tally, so don't think I am counting the season done just yet.

I watch the race via ROKU (cord cutter here) as they are all covered on UK Channel 4, which I get as a package of about 20 British channels for $C 2.09/month ( $US 1.57). They have the full F1 coverage, including all the qualifying sessions live.

Next up is Montreal, where you can overtake much easier than Monaco. I really like how the cars are so much more competitive this year, there are 4 or maybe even 5 teams that can challenge for podiums.

Just with regard to the top two teams, the Mercs really do well in clear air, although the Ferraris are pretty quick there as well, but I've noticed in traffic or in buffered air the Mercedes cars struggle, their cars work the tires and engine management hard under those conditions, while the Ferraris seem fine everywhere on the track. We'll see what happens in the mid-season adjustment, everything could change for the second half of the season.

Raikkonnen was kind of pouty after the race, and Hamilton was his usual grumpy self when he doesn't win. But the driver personalities are not particularly interesting to me, I'm more into the cars and teams.

Mercedes seems to have their car nicely tailored to clean air, yes. Otherwise, they're slipping and overheating. I do have to give Hamilton credit for hanging in there like he did. Not giving up was good. You never know what goes on up front, and if you're not there to pick up the pieces, someone else will. Generally speaking, I'm a Williams fan when it comes to teams, but Vettel as a driver, and it's impossible to dislike Kimi, either. Williams is a mess right now.

In fairness to Raikonnen, he would have looked and behaved exactly the same even if he won the race, or if he retired in the first lap.

Mercedes seems to have their car nicely tailored to clean air, yes. Otherwise, they're slipping and overheating. I do have to give Hamilton credit for hanging in there like he did. Not giving up was good. You never know what goes on up front, and if you're not there to pick up the pieces, someone else will. Generally speaking, I'm a Williams fan when it comes to teams, but Vettel as a driver, and it's impossible to dislike Kimi, either. Williams is a mess right now.

In fairness to Raikonnen, he would have looked and behaved exactly the same even if he won the race, or if he retired in the first lap.

That's why they call him "The Ice Man".

Williams is a great team, really I have no problem with someone who supports them. Awesome history, good competitors. Hamilton is a spirited competitor and there is no doubt he can drive. Any team would be happy to have him.

I'm not a fair-weather fan, it's been a long time since I've had something to cheer about but I have always hung in there, thick or thin. This year is a nice change from what happened between the 90's and today. And overall, with genuine near-parity between so many teams in the sport, is a nice change from the 1, space, 2, space everybody days of previous years.

Im not convinced the Ferrari pit strategy favoured Vettel. In many races pitting first gives you the edge, but you have to still drive. Raikkonnen had an opportunity that from my chair, he squandered. And besides, P2 is not a defeat, it's a victory.

The guy whom I feel for the most is Stroll. Tough season, not always his fault. But that's racing.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Shame NBC's coverage changed over to NBCSN. Kimi looked like he was livid but I didn't get to see the podium and post-race interviews. I'm not sure if that went according to Ferrari's plan but you can't blame Vettel for running faster laps in clean air than he did. Their pit strategy just seemed off and favored Vettel. Understandable but lame.

Button's day did not turn out like I had hoped. Shame.

I was disappointed with Button's performance. He dawdled around in 20th place, then crashed when trying to pass the 19th place car. I think he was just there to get start #307 to surpass Schumacher.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Here you go, tig1:

CEJLIi2UgAEHtQX.jpg

Johnny2Bad: It's amazing, if you go back to some of those old races, how identical the complains about the product are to what they are now, or were last year. And Kimi could have gotten going. There is something to be said about getting yourself a gap out front, specifically so this type of thing doesn't happen. It could have very easily been Kimi pitting one lap and Sebastian the next, and you want to have a bit of a gap in case something goes wrong on the stop, or you pull into and out of the pits like a grandmother, like Kimi did. Autosport showed how much time he lost on his in lap and out lap, and it was pretty bad. He spend something like a second longer in pit lane than did Sebastian, which is obviously the type of issue you can mitigate by setting up a gap.

Stroll has to have some of the worst luck out there. I think he's going to give Mark Webber a run for his bad luck record, as it were.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I was disappointed with Button's performance. He dawdled around in 20th place, then crashed when trying to pass the 19th place car. I think he was just there to get start #307 to surpass Schumacher.

As in the other thread, I wonder if Alonso has any regrets. He took a fantastic, rare opportunity, for sure, but from his perspective, it's too bad Indy didn't clash with Canada or Monza, not Monaco.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

As in the other thread, I wonder if Alonso has any regrets. He took a fantastic, rare opportunity, for sure, but from his perspective, it's too bad Indy didn't clash with Canada or Monza, not Monaco.

Alonso really enjoyed his Indy experience, at least up to lap 179, and the American fans liked having him there. I wonder if he could run at Watkins Glen. That would be kind of a natural thing for an F1 driver to do; run a race at the historical home of F1 in the USA. It conflicts with Monza, but what the heck; Monza is a power track, and Honda won't be competitive there. They will be competitive at The Glen, and Honda failures will be less likely.

I'm sure it was a breath of fresh air to Alonso, aside from the Groundhog Day repetition of failing Honda engines in which he seems to be mired. Coincidentally or not, Canadian dealers are having a very difficult time getting people to take the new NSX off their hands.
whistle.gif

I don't recall Kimi's race laptimes but maybe he was told to settle in and control the pace from the front while Vettel was told to attack as soon as Kimi went in? It may not be a 'Ferrari team' thing but maybe a 'Vettel's side of the garage' thing. I doubt Kimi's people would assume Vettel would slot into 2nd and be happy about it so that would still be on him/them if so. Still a shame. Kimi winning here would have been fantastic. He had the pace for it, I just think he got outfoxed which would explain how angry he was at the end of the race.

This was one of the races where I can actually catch the American network feed, rather than it being on your sports network that I don't get. But, I did stick to the Sky coverage for most of it, except when our feed went to picture in picture commercials. Then I'd do a check.

Kimi did lose 3s on the one lap after pitting relapping button and wehrlein, and Ferrari knew that he would come out behind them... Kimi was doing laptimes fast enough to make sure he'd come out in front of them if he delayed stopping a couple more laps, so it was Ferrari's way of swapping him and Vettel. Kimi matched Vettel's pace without the traffic and would've held position IMO but lap 35 was 3s slower due to relapping... After that he was within a few tenths of Vettel.
I taped the F1 race and after watching the Indy 500, Monaco was pretty pathetic, with the exception of the few laps after the pit stops where drivers really had to push, then the Ferrari [censored]
sick.gif

Atleast Canada is coming up, its a far better race.

I'm not so sure. Looking at Autosport's lap analysis, not to mention just the in and out lap comparison, Kimi was in trouble. In the end, it was his responsibility to ensure he had enough of a gap to cover eventualities. Of course, as mentioned above your post, he could have been told to slow down, but considering Sky liked the conspiracy theory, had there been any radio message of the sort, they would have been showing it. Kimi pitted, Sebastian pushed. Ergo, Kimi was holding Sebastian up, and if you don't want to lose a position to your team mate, or anyone else, the simplest solution is to lap faster than those people.

It was Kimi's race to both win and lose.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Finns are well known for not being overly emotional...my father's family was Finnish and his sister took a trip to the Old Country to meet family. She got lost making her way to the old hometown and stopped a random man to ask for directions (she still spoke good Finnish). He told her the way and she then asked for his name out of curiousity...he was a little suspicious, but told her. She became very excited and said, "That's my maiden name, we must be related!!", as it was not an especially common surname (my father changed it because he didn't want to sound "ethnic").
The guy gave my aunt a hard stare and replied, "Oh, we'll see about that."
The extra funny thing is that they were naked together in the sauna along with the rest of the family the next night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back