Mobil 1 M1-xxx and M1-xxxA difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any difference between the old and new Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filters (without and with the A suffix, respectively)?

The old version didn't specify the particle size for 99% efficiency, and for the new version, it's 30 micrometers. Did the old version have the same efficiency? Is there any difference in the construction and is it made by the same company?

I think(just me) that any differences that we could see in e.g., a VOA would be in the additive package. However, any other differences would probably be proprietary to Mobil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I think(just me) that any differences that we could see in e.g., a VOA would be in the additive package. However, any other differences would probably be proprietary to Mobil.
oil filters.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
The reason I asked was because someone claimed the older version had higher efficiency. I don't know if this is true.

Dear Customer,

Don't worry your sweet little head. We're XOM, we know what we're doing, and if we tell you it's OK then that'll just have to be enough.

Love and Kisses,

Big Oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
The reason I asked was because someone claimed the older version had higher efficiency. I don't know if this is true.

Someone posted documentation with a link showing previous higher efficiency.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz2NTEAdC4vxdDNXV05Yc0FHUGczaVRTeF9qb0FuTWt2bXRF/view

But I guess except for Motorking nobody knows if this is true?

BITOG thread link

Thanks, this is useful info. It's hard to say whether the old version that had 99.6% efficiency @ 25 microns is any different than the new version that has 99+% efficiency @ 30 microns.

It's also interesting that Fram Extraguard has higher efficiency than Mobil 1, and Purolator has the same efficiency as Mobil 1.

TfXhEtUAmKRtpEfn4JSan1D_A58lNCM7zDDAd4T4Tyv66PegARVrsBmdNQqQiT2d0bGsdmWlYPHYfdpq2PXysHf6v96uxrKgGGj4UW4VPqjt1sVpVQyScr0GNWkt86QyckTdSMEvjYFW-3tu3xNTr8JN6H4TsdRFOhN3cgD3R9JttdX8RNuEsdoqIH_Rc8DNLHEFsbfGdO8Mzrms6XCpPODQNgDHcJR3-VrFcEk8V6LnlGJSFtxGochWgYHur0CrSAwzwAbD-q6cdaZgGQYtT5TYcB_nFmeyJe0O8BOnu2KVbJZlsUY_IHIZX9Gu9BO-r-sC7eHZaeKxIoEsv0RO-TR7aeLUkAcUNoAZZ3ai5VAwi4cHBEjYnLZHK6-wJXzRXnJDfRJzvskGOVnm-Oerf6orZhaGiIYp_un0jZDBXWgZX_FMntzLTeA-5qABWAh7Qy9SVrFB_mIQk9nrGFBolgJr3JYRpO2TLw9hdCpnJdwR3bEpIRSJMXqIr7eeL690YLJIbLN2_3NbonpOBpU-Y57fVYqmC85AYYWTJlAROrINeZL76AVq0PPPSjDVgl2aH5ApwPPvefdTkVLD5AHp6jwudJ-1ok41Nu5Qpc8spbzub9YoSVOf5Q=w1600-no

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
oil filters.

Ah yes 6am, sorry!

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha

Someone posted documentation with a link showing previous higher efficiency.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz2NTEAdC4vxdDNXV05Yc0FHUGczaVRTeF9qb0FuTWt2bXRF/view

But I guess except for Motorking nobody knows if this is true?

BITOG thread link

Thanks, this is useful info. It's hard to say whether the old version that had 99.6% efficiency @ 25 microns is any different than the new version that has 99+% efficiency @ 30 microns.

It's also interesting that Fram Extraguard has higher efficiency than Mobil 1, and Purolator has the same efficiency as Mobil 1.

TfXhEtUAmKRtpEfn4JSan1D_A58lNCM7zDDAd4T4Tyv66PegARVrsBmdNQqQiT2d0bGsdmWlYPHYfdpq2PXysHf6v96uxrKgGGj4UW4VPqjt1sVpVQyScr0GNWkt86QyckTdSMEvjYFW-3tu3xNTr8JN6H4TsdRFOhN3cgD3R9JttdX8RNuEsdoqIH_Rc8DNLHEFsbfGdO8Mzrms6XCpPODQNgDHcJR3-VrFcEk8V6LnlGJSFtxGochWgYHur0CrSAwzwAbD-q6cdaZgGQYtT5TYcB_nFmeyJe0O8BOnu2KVbJZlsUY_IHIZX9Gu9BO-r-sC7eHZaeKxIoEsv0RO-TR7aeLUkAcUNoAZZ3ai5VAwi4cHBEjYnLZHK6-wJXzRXnJDfRJzvskGOVnm-Oerf6orZhaGiIYp_un0jZDBXWgZX_FMntzLTeA-5qABWAh7Qy9SVrFB_mIQk9nrGFBolgJr3JYRpO2TLw9hdCpnJdwR3bEpIRSJMXqIr7eeL690YLJIbLN2_3NbonpOBpU-Y57fVYqmC85AYYWTJlAROrINeZL76AVq0PPPSjDVgl2aH5ApwPPvefdTkVLD5AHp6jwudJ-1ok41Nu5Qpc8spbzub9YoSVOf5Q=w1600-no

Why do you find it difficult to tell if the media changed? Is your position the same media is being used and it has an essentially flat efficiency curve between 25 and 30 microns?

If so then why enlarge the micron rating point number? Isn't that a change directionally opposite desireable marketing?

Also did you see the posts in the linked thread where someone called Champion Laboratories and was told the changes were at the request of XOM?

Also, Purolator efficiency has changed since that document from Champion Labs was generated. I believe the Fram Extraguard has also changed since then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back