Maintenance Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wrote here about some kin I have ( trying hard not to link myself to this nonsense)
I said this dude does no maintenance unless his vehicle demands it. Well he does change the oil yearly with unknown oil and filter. Of course that year could be 30-40,000 miles..................
I got flack here by the usual disbelievers. He stopped by my house with 4 of the worst tires I have ever seen on a vehicle. I guess they were winter tires sans studs because the steel belts acted as such for traction.

Now I usually buy Ford Trucks because I like them and my family all worked for GM and they had a cult like attitude.
But the dude I'm talking about always gets 400K miles out of his Chevy trucks before many accidents or heavy abuse destroys the suspension. Original engine and trans stay in amazing shape given the circumstances. Nobody beats a vehicle like this dude and he drives like a maniac.

He stopped by and has a 2007 Silverado 1500. He got it used several years ago and it was a cream puff fully loaded with leather. Now it has maybe 15 large dents in it and every tire is totally gone. fast forward a few days and I picked him up four new tires- top quality ones and called him and told him since he has no coin he can work them off. of course as usual I will get screwed in the deal.

He comes over and I tell him the new Pirellis are at my shop and drive me over to pick them up. To get into the truck I have to remove a 55 gallon trash can of soda bottles and trash and no exaggeration it would require two more cans to clean up the back seat. Seriously a real slob.

He then tells me the tires came at a great time. Shows me a few blown ones. He says can you believe I wasted two tires this week????????????

This one was sitting in the bed of the truck..........
Seriously................

He probably has some level of unresolved mental illness. People that are so extreme in their neglect usually have some underlying issue(s). Extreme hoarders like featured on the reality shows are an example. He's lucky to have you to help him out and you are to be commended for doing so.

yikes. These people are on the road with us. My dad is not as bad but is up there, as is my brother. I own the truck my dad got at 5 years old and 30k miles. Yes he kept the oil changed but never did anything else unless it failed. When I travelled three hours to go pick it up he told me it was in great shape. When I drove it, the brakes were atrocious. They made all kinds of noise. The battery was undersized and not secured. The cables were heavily corroded and had the clamp on replacement terminals. The cables had been cut so many times they had to be stretched super tight to get onto the battery post. The tires had good tread, but were old and cracked. They started separating. There was a layer of dust and coffee all over the dash. The brake fluid looked like coffee and the fan clutch wan non operational. The fan shroud was in three pieces held together by zip ties. luckily it has the 300 engine and a manual transmission so it has held up to the abuse and still runs well. Ive just replaced so many things on it.

Well, its been driven on flat. Wouldn't take long, especially if it was old and brittle to start with.

I was once in a Commer van that got a rear flat and no one noticed until the remains caught fire. Was quite hard to put out.

Check and see if there is a banjo with a few missing strings in the backseat under that junk. He maybe continually testing the truck for that quick run to the Willie Nelson he figures to be invited to as guest picker and smoker.

Witnessing abnormal behavior first hand is a blessing in disguise. It makes you realize how lucky it is to be normal.

LoneRanger said:
He probably has some level of unresolved mental illness. People that are so extreme in their neglect usually have some underlying issue(s). Extreme hoarders like featured on the reality shows are an example. He's lucky to have you to help him out and you are to be commended for doing so.

[/quote
Maybe with some but I work with a girl who has no problem going into debt to get what she wants. She and her husband have $130k in student loans, and he wants to go back to school to get another $60k degree. They financed a large wedding and her ring too. It is giant. They spend a week in Rome and she wears nice clothes.They also have been looking at new homes in the $230k range. She was complaining about needing tires and how much they cost and didn't want to buy them. I told her since she lives so far she needs good tires because she spends a lot of time on the highway. She went out and got the cheapest tires she could find. Blows my mind. You spend good money on a car and let it go to [censored].

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I wrote here about some kin I have ( trying hard not to link myself to this nonsense)
I said this dude does no maintenance unless his vehicle demands it. Well he does change the oil yearly with unknown oil and filter. Of course that year could be 30-40,000 miles..................
I got flack here by the usual disbelievers. He stopped by my house with 4 of the worst tires I have ever seen on a vehicle. I guess they were winter tires sans studs because the steel belts acted as such for traction.

Now I usually buy Ford Trucks because I like them and my family all worked for GM and they had a cult like attitude.
But the dude I'm talking about always gets 400K miles out of his Chevy trucks before many accidents or heavy abuse destroys the suspension. Original engine and trans stay in amazing shape given the circumstances. Nobody beats a vehicle like this dude and he drives like a maniac.

He stopped by and has a 2007 Silverado 1500. He got it used several years ago and it was a cream puff fully loaded with leather. Now it has maybe 15 large dents in it and every tire is totally gone. fast forward a few days and I picked him up four new tires- top quality ones and called him and told him since he has no coin he can work them off. of course as usual I will get screwed in the deal.

He comes over and I tell him the new Pirellis are at my shop and drive me over to pick them up. To get into the truck I have to remove a 55 gallon trash can of soda bottles and trash and no exaggeration it would require two more cans to clean up the back seat. Seriously a real slob.

He then tells me the tires came at a great time. Shows me a few blown ones. He says can you believe I wasted two tires this week????????????

This one was sitting in the bed of the truck..........
Seriously................

[img:gal:70511592c3821123fd]https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/attachments/usergals/2017/05/full-70511-8281-mp.jpg[/

I wouldn't help someone like that. I see tires and wheels destroyed and worse everyday. Moral of story: people don't give a hoot!
frown.gif

If I contemplated helping this "individual" he'd give me half the $$$$ upfront no excuses

It is very good of you to help him out like that. It is amazing what people will do or will not do. I will never understand how people live like slobs and not take good care of anything. I used to see it myself all the time when I was in the car audio business. Bald tires, exposed steel cords, tail lights, brake lights, turn signals not working, air bag lights on, CEL lit up for who knows how long. Interior of the car is like the interior of a dumpster, you name it. But there they were spending money on a new stereo. Some people have really bad sense of priority.

I confess to running tires to death and beyond. If I have a flat , I will drive on it to someplace where I can safely change the tire. Run flat tires are a scam. Every tire is a run flat.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
I confess to running a tire to death and beyond. If I have a flat , I will drive on it to someplace where I can safely change the tire. Run flat tires are a scam. Every tire is a run flat.:D

I have a friend who is a car noob. I had to teach him how to air up his tires. When I tried to teach him to change oil, he took notes. Anyway he got a nice saturn from his parents when he got married. One day he got a flat and didn't know it. He drove it on the highway until it was completely shredded. I guess thats when he found out. He did end up changing it himself somehow and he jacked the car up on the floor board. There was a nice hump in the back passenger foot area. Pretty hilarious. Not much later, the engine locked up as he never changed or checked the oil. Too bad. His dad, even disabled like he is, kept up with the maintenance and even used OE dealer oil filters. Some people can just ruin a nice car in no time.

They must be related. Items are only addressed after the failure.
But as others have noted they always have money to party............
Disgusting!

Originally Posted By: E150GT
yikes. These people are on the road with us. My dad is not as bad but is up there, as is my brother. I own the truck my dad got at 5 years old and 30k miles. Yes he kept the oil changed but never did anything else unless it failed. When I travelled three hours to go pick it up he told me it was in great shape. When I drove it, the brakes were atrocious. They made all kinds of noise. The battery was undersized and not secured. The cables were heavily corroded and had the clamp on replacement terminals. The cables had been cut so many times they had to be stretched super tight to get onto the battery post. The tires had good tread, but were old and cracked. They started separating. There was a layer of dust and coffee all over the dash. The brake fluid looked like coffee and the fan clutch wan non operational. The fan shroud was in three pieces held together by zip ties. luckily it has the 300 engine and a manual transmission so it has held up to the abuse and still runs well. Ive just replaced so many things on it.

Agreed.
Honestly I try not to associate with that type as I fear a bit will rub off.
Sadly I take care of my stuff better than I do me. That's not good either but I just can't live like that.

I told the guy if you rolled up my lane to do work for me and I see how you operate I would not hire you.
If you open the truck door stuff just starts falling out of it. I'd be afraid a customer would notice!

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
It is very good of you to help him out like that. It is amazing what people will do or will not do. I will never understand how people live like slobs and not take good care of anything. I used to see it myself all the time when I was in the car audio business. Bald tires, exposed steel cords, tail lights, brake lights, turn signals not working, air bag lights on, CEL lit up for who knows how long. Interior of the car is like the interior of a dumpster, you name it. But there they were spending money on a new stereo. Some people have really bad sense of priority.

I know there are plenty of people who don't want to hear it, but GM truck motors / transmissions are the most reliable out there, if you look at a set of buyers over one individual instance (you can find one example of anything if the set is big enough).

It's not a huge difference until the miles get really up there, but it exists none the less.

And I'm not suggesting GM does not have other issues or that other trucks have unreliable engines. I would not say that. It's just that both Ford and Chrysler / RAM have had far more transmission problems overall and the motors are more sensitive to abuse, and sometimes even without abuse. There are plenty of other reasons to buy one of those brands, you have to take everything as a whole, not cherry pick this or that.

Some people are just ... well, I'm trying to be polite ... different. Remember ... don't sweat things you can't change. Tell your family to stay out of his vehicle and if they see him on the road, pull over and give him a wide berth. Then just move on to something you can actually do something about and forget this one.

My daughter is the same way. Never washes a car. Never cleans one out. They fill up with food, cans, clothes,, much like a super massive black hole. Never changes oil or does any maintenance. Can't tell you how many times I have had to go get her a tire to replace one that shredded. Her apartment is the same, when she has one and is not trashing my house. I have a sister in law who claims she can't afford to change the oil in her cars, but eats out every night. She trashes them as well. This time around instead of a used minivan from a buy here pay here, she bought an almost new Nissan Armada with money from her mom's estate. Can't wait to see how that turns out.

My wife and I used to own some rental properties. While we were showing a prospective renter the house one of us would go out and look at their car. If it was loaded up with junk and needed serious cleaning out and generally neglected we put them on the "NO" list for renting. If they do that to their vehicle it was pretty certain they don't clean house either.

Gotta go with that too. I'm not a genius nor any pillar in the community but I do have some grip on reality.

A true "psycho slob" has certain detachment issues....and I don't claim to know what they are (for fear of some know-it-all getting a free pass to call me a doctor imitator).

An old roomy of mine went down the road of "inexcusable filth". Honestly, any health department or fire department could step into his world and force a clean up and I'm as red, white and blue a skeptic of government as the next suburban cowboy who wears eyeliner and heels.

There are people who are out of control and would benefit from living like a monk in a cell. Out to the fields to work and make value. Too many worthless, garbage people all over the place.

The trashy pig described here is the type of guy who'll break into your house, show up in emergency rooms for minor things ($) and always cry along with the demagogues.

You want a real vein of infection in our society---here is your example.

I've always tried to get the maximum out of my tires. I don't see a problem running bald tires if you don't drive in the rain.

Its not green to replace tires too early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back