BMW 5W30 -- 10K Miles -- 13 BMW 335i w/ N55

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some history… The vehicle is a 2013 BMW 335i xDrive. I purchased it Certified Pre-Owned in 09/2015 with 19,378 miles. The original owner purchased it in 04/2013. The first oil change was done at 10,806 miles in 06/2014. The second oil change was done 8,545 miles later at 19,351 in 08/2015, just prior to my purchase of the vehicle. Both of those were performed by the Dealer and I imagine they used Genuine BMW High Performance Full Synthetic 5W-30.

This is my first BMW and, while not feeling entirely comfortable doing so, I did what the Dealer told me to do… I ran it until the Condition Based Service (CBS) computer told me it was time for an oil and filter change. That didn’t come until 36,241 miles which means I ran it for 16,890 miles. That’s the sample that was previously tested and posted here.

Although the analysis for that extended interval was pretty good, now that the factory warranty has expired and maintenance is no longer included, I decided to shorten this interval to 10,000 miles. (I believe that is what BMW pulled their recommendation back to anyway, starting with the 2014 model year which is the same F30 generation and has the same engine.) I took the sample at 46,414 miles which means I ran it for 10,173 miles.

Current fill… I performed the oil and filter change myself using 7 quarts of Castrol Edge 0W-40 (A3/B4 European Formula, BMW Longlife-01 Approved) and a K&N PS-7014 Pro Series cartridge filter. I plan to run it for 10,000 miles.

I'd stick with the original Mann-Hummel oil filters in that one. I've seen those K&N PS-7014 Pro Series cartridge filters deform badly in a BMW 5-series. Did yours look misshapen, kind of warped when you saw it come out? Those OEM oil filters always looked structurally sound coming out.

Excellent choice of Edge 0w40. Can't do any better than that.

Amazing how much iron these things generate. Universal average is high, so yours is very normal for the N55. See what iron an oil drainplug magnet would remove if you get a good one like Dimple or GoldPlug.

Some engines like GM and Nisan, and apparently BMW show higher metal numbers than others. However that doesn't mean shorter engine life. 10K should be fine with this oil.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Some engines like GM and Nisan, and apparently BMW show higher metal numbers than others. However that doesn't mean shorter engine life. 10K should be fine with this oil.

Agreed.

The K&N filter came with an oil change special at Advance Auto Parts which is why I used it rather than a Mann filter. Although I'd read a couple of similar crush-related reviews on Amazon, I was nothing but impressed with the shape and structure of the K&N. Here are a couple of pictures I took:

I'm wondering if in the reported crush cases, the filter wasn't appropriately aligned when it was installed and the cap screwed back on? I could see how that might cause a filter to get damaged as the cap was tightened. Despite a couple of negative reviews, there were many positive reviews of the filter.

The K&N came with a package consisting of both rubber O-rings and a copper drain plug washer. Maybe the Mann and other brands include the same?

I'll evaluate the condition of the filter when I do my next oil change and decide whether I'll use the second K&N I have in my cabinet. Unlike past used filter evaluations on my previous vehicles, I won't have to mess with cutting open the can.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: barlowc

The K&N came with a package consisting of both rubber O-rings and a copper drain plug washer. Maybe the Mann and other brands include the same?

Yes, the factory filter comes with all new o-rings and crush washer.

....change myself using 7 quarts of Castrol Edge 0W-40 (A3/B4 European Formula, BMW Longlife-01 Approved) and a K&N PS-7014 Pro Series cartridge filter. I plan to run it for 10,000 miles.

Technically, you used the wrong kind of Edge 5w30 A1/B1 previously for those 2 oil changes, the SN GF-5 variety, instead of the A3/B4 Edge 5w30 type preferred. The low ZDDP was the main clue as to which you used.
Its probably just fine, as currently BMW is admitting that you CAN use low-HTHS (HTHS=3) stuff like the oil you used as they finally are pushing Twinpower Oil in LL-01-FE 0w30 flavors. Your SN GF-5 oil you used also met tough dexos1, HTO-06, and A1/B1, so it was fine even without the LL-01 FE rating.

The amount of stuff folks make up on this site is unreal.

He has stated the dealer changed the oil on previous changes. Dealer oil has been Shell/Pennzoil over 2 years now (Jan 2015).

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
....change myself using 7 quarts of Castrol Edge 0W-40 (A3/B4 European Formula, BMW Longlife-01 Approved) and a K&N PS-7014 Pro Series cartridge filter. I plan to run it for 10,000 miles.

Technically, you used the wrong kind of Edge 5w30 A1/B1 previously for those 2 oil changes, the SN GF-5 variety, instead of the A3/B4 Edge 5w30 type preferred. The low ZDDP was the main clue as to which you used.
Its probably just fine, as currently BMW is admitting that you CAN use low-HTHS (HTHS=3) stuff like the oil you used as they finally are pushing Twinpower Oil in LL-01-FE 0w30 flavors. Your SN GF-5 oil you used also met tough dexos1, HTO-06, and A1/B1, so it was fine even without the LL-01 FE rating.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Technically, you used the wrong kind of Edge 5w30 A1/B1 previously for those 2 oil changes, the SN GF-5 variety, instead of the A3/B4 Edge 5w30 type preferred.

To be clear, all previous oil changes were done by my BMW dealer while the vehicle was covered by the factory warranty and included maintenance. This is the first oil change that I've done myself. So the two OCAs that are shown are for dealer oil.

The owner's manual specifies, "When selecting an engine oil, ensure that the engine oil belongs to one of the viscosity grades SAE 0W-40, SAE 0W-30, SAE 5W-40, and SAE 5W-30." It further specifies that the oil should carry the BMW Longlife-01 or BMW Longlife-01 FE approval.

The K&N filter ........I'm wondering if in the reported crush cases, the filter wasn't appropriately aligned when it was installed and the cap screwed back on? I could see how that might cause a filter to get damaged as the cap was tightened. Despite a couple of negative reviews, there were many positive reviews of the filter.
I'm not sure. I guess as long as the end caps don't get too excessively twisted sideways. I didn't like mine when I pulled it out, thats for sure. The Mann-Hummels always looked structurally OK. The K&N company doesn't care to get very high filter efficiency numbers anyway, so I'm not a fan
At least its a cartridge. All cars should use cartridges for easy inspection.

Stick to MANN, Mahle or Hengst filters in BMW's.
What I do is I go to dealership and buy OEM (Made by Mahle for M57 engine) and that is it.
Great report, but I also prefer Castrol 0W40 for Euro gasoline engines.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
The amount of stuff folks make up on this site is unreal.He has stated the dealer changed the oil on previous changes. Dealer oil has been Shell/Pennzoil over 2 years now (Jan 2015).

Wrong. He only stated the first two (previous owner) oil changes were done by a dealership. Trouble with reading comprehension? Grumpy too?
wink.gif
??
Did you also miss the Blackstone report saying "Castrol Edge 5w30"? Hmmm....
or maybe the low levels of zddp for non-euro oils? Try harder.

Last edited:
Blackstone's listing of Castrol Edge 5W/30 on the report is a bit misleading. It should probably say BMW 5W/30 like my previous report did. It was dealer oil so we don't really know whether they used Castrol or Shell/Pennzoil at the time. The service invoice for that fill shows oil part # 83-21-0-390-323 noting 5W-30 weight. With that said, nowhere did I say Edge 5w30 A1/B1 SN GF-5 was used, so that was a misconceived assumption. Anyway, let's get back on topic.

Last edited:
Previous owner of my e92 328i had it serviced at a local shop. Unknown mileage on the filter, but the sticker on the windshield showed the oil change wasn't due for another 2k.

Filter was badly deformed when I pulled it. Based on the markings, I believe it was kn.

25535284562_faa426990f_c.jpg

You can see the center of the filter in the background slightly dented in. Replaced with a Mann filter.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Stick to MANN, Mahle or Hengst filters in BMW's.
What I do is I go to dealership and buy OEM (Made by Mahle for M57 engine) and that is it.
Great report, but I also prefer Castrol 0W40 for Euro gasoline engines.

+1 Stick with the MANN filter.

I've been using them for a few years now on my GF's E90 325xi with the N52, and my neighbor's 2004 E46 330xi with the M54. They always come out looking good. Castrol 0w40 Euro also slowed consumption in the 325xi's N52.

Originally Posted By: zeddy
Previous owner of my e92 328i had it serviced at a local shop. Unknown mileage on the filter, but the sticker on the windshield showed the oil change wasn't due for another 2k.

Filter was badly deformed when I pulled it. Based on the markings, I believe it was kn.

25535284562_faa426990f_c.jpg

You can see the center of the filter in the background slightly dented in. Replaced with a Mann filter.

I had the same experience with a Carquest filter with only 1000 miles on it! Hour-glass shape, and it fell off the center tube of the oil cap on my 09 BMW. If it is so loose that it falls off, then oil can certainly leak right past the seal, leaving a portion of the oil unfiltered.
shocked2.gif

The Mann/Mahle/Hengst I have used on same engine have to be pulled off, and are still structurally like new.
01.gif

A friend of mine took his 2004 X3 to some idiot who used a filter element with plastic end caps- which were staring to break up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back