Accept paypal as payment for motorcycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a person who is agreeing to pay my asking price for my motorcycle, but she wants to use paypal to pay me for it. I have used paypal in the past, but never for any large purchases like vehicles. I've had troubles with paypal and supposedly my account either got hacked into, or paypal was suspicious of possible hacking, I don't remember what the exact issue was, but I ended up just closing my account because I didn't want to deal with the hassles anymore. Would you trust paypal for a large sum of money?

If you drew the money out there is a substantial penalty (15%?),unless you bought things off it(spending it down).I wouldn't.

Paypal is a legitimate company and an easy way to make/receive payments.
I would accept payment by Paypal but check with them (Paypal) that the money is in your account before
relinquishing the bike.

I personally wouldn't. Cash or certified funds. All she has to do is contact Paypal and tell them there is a problem with the vehicle; your funds are then frozen until the dispute is resolved. You could have her sign a bill of sale that states - "As-Is" "No Refunds" See if that works for the buyer.

I don't think I would. If the buyer gets a wild hair or is unscrupulous, they could put in a claim that might hold up the funds or possibly have them reversed, not to mention any money you'd lose on transaction fees. I haven't used PayPal in years so things might be different, but I can say I've been burned on a few sales.

Is it still possible to send a cashier's check via PayPal?

Last edited:
unfortunately it is used very often to scam people on craigslist and similar sites. Get cash, exchange it at your local bank. If they have an issue, pass on the sale and wait for the next buyer. You may end up with a little less in the long run, getting scammed out of all it would be a disaster.

What kind of communications are taking place, is it all by sms texting? If so: SCAM. The scammers almost always communicate strictly by texting, using burner phones.

PayPal should be fine. Just don't click on any links they send you. Go directly to PayPal and look for the money. Add the 1.5% fee to the price.

Keep proof they are in receipt of the motorcycle.

But cash is King.

I agree maybe a scam.

Maybe they just want to use PayPal to allow them to pay back PayPal over time??

This is very likely a scam.

If she sends you a "PayPal" link, it's probably a PayPal phishing attempt.

Do not click on any links that a buyer provides. If she really wants to send money that way, she only needs your email address.

When you login to PayPal, type the address in your browser, or use their mobile app. Do not click on any links that you receive in an email unless you fully understand how to spot a phishing attempt.

Or, just accept cash.

The other way to go with PayPal is if they send the money as a gift. This removes all buyer protections and there are no fees to you. This would minimize the reversal threat.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Maybe they just want to use PayPal to allow them to pay back PayPal over time??

Maybe.... PayPal offers 0% interest for 6 months

Cash, if they are not looking at the bike in person, i would think scam. Even if they look at the bike, cash , or bank certified check.

Originally Posted By: NYSteve
The other way to go with PayPal is if they send the money as a gift. This removes all buyer protections and there are no fees to you. This would minimize the reversal threat.

uh no, they just say the gift was unauthorized and its reversed.

I'd pass on paypal its usually a scam... you dont have to be smart enough to figure out the scam.. just know about 90% of the time it involves some kind of scam and dont allow it.

No paypal on a vehicle. It just gives the buyer a way to get their money back later.

I'm no PayPal hater, but no way would I use it for something like a vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back