Expensive Dealer Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife purchased her 2017 Explorer 2.3 Ecoboost from this dealer because they were the most honest and gave the best price and treated her, as women, the best of any of them she went to. I stayed out of the purchase process, my wife is REALLY independent! The dealer is in a higher end "neighborhood", we don't live there needless to say. Got a flyer about service "specials". Their 5,000 mile oil change service is "only" starting at $89.95, using conventional oil, and is basically the same as Ford's $39.99 oil service however the Ford service uses Motorcraft oil, wow go figure! They do claim they do some useless "inspections", your drive belts, air cleaner and "emission control systems". Not sure they even offer the Ford service $39.99 multi point service. Oh well there are other dealers around if they don't offer the

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
and "emission control systems".

I read that as nagging about your CEL.

They inspect your wallet lol. I would expect that price for a synthetic oil change from a stealership.

Maybe the offer free lattes at this dealership?

You can change the oil with the best full synthetic oil and filter, with no sale or rebate on either component, for half that. And even if you don't do your own work on the car it will be cheaper to own and stay in better shape until the day you sell it if you learn how to "inspect" anything that needs inspected on the car, yourself.

I just got in a fight with the Ford dealer near my job.

I asked for "The Works" oil change special which is $39.95, including tire rotation. Then there's a $10 rebate on top of that. They pull the vehicle in, 15 mins later the service advisor asks if "they can skip the tire rotation" as they're "really busy". It wasn't due until the next LOF anyway so I agreed.

30 minutes later I got a bill for "5,000 mile service" for $89.95. On the paperwork it said a rotation was performed. I asked if it was, and was told it wasn't.

I got the manager and asked "how an FL-910S and 5 quarts of oil can be $90". He began to say about additional work like a rotation, which I quickly ended that train of thought.

The bill was adjusted to $29.95, but I am still aggravated.

And this is why I usually I do my own work. It was near being overdue so I thought I'd just get it done...

I have used the Ford dealer 2x for oil changes, once for a 2004 Hyundai Sonata and once for a 2016 Ford Edge. I went under "the works" package both times and they charged me an extra $10 for the Sonata because it didn't take standard Ford oil. I just went with the Edge and the total bill came out to be about $47 with tax and disposal fee; the Edge takes more than 5 quarts so they charged me $2.50 extra for oil. I also had used $20 in Ford owner points to knock the bill down to $27. It isn't a 5,000 mile service it is an oil change where they look your vehicle over. They found the Sonata needed brakes which my mechanic verified and replaced.

I don't change my own oil, going to Jiffy lube would cost the same or more for a oil change and tire rotation. I am assuming with semi synthetic Motorcraft oil I am getting better oil than from Jiffy lube, Ford gives rebates at times, 5% back all the time and after 4 oil changes I get a free one ... so it actually comes out better by using the Ford dealership for me.

Being charged more than expected is [censored], would be good if they would say something especially when you bring in a vehicle with an expectation you'll get the advertised price.

The whole thing about these oil changes being limited to 5 qts, and any beyond that will cost ya, has been the norm for at least the last 20-25 yrs I know. But it seams to me it isnt normal to only need 5 qts anymire. Logic would dictate these oil change specials would gradually follow suit over the years and get beyond the 5 qt limit to keep up with the times.. but they havent, obviously. The cynical side of me thinks tgat is on purpose to allow for the extra charges that invarably come with requiring more than the specified deal's specs allow. Could it really be that simple though...and shady?

I'd say we're currently right pn the cusp of 5 qts. no longer being a "standard" fill. However, at least 75% of the vehicles through my shop ('95 to '07 or so, mostly cars and vans) still fill with 4-5 qts. so the 5 qt. idea is still relevant for me.

shoot thats cheaper than my mazda dealer. they wanted something like $120. Ive called a couple times and get a different price each time I call.

Mercedes is basically $300 for a synthetic oil change and they check a bunch of stuff. But it's good for 10k. I think you can also get a free loaner too.

I once brought my own oil and filter to my mechanic and he changed it for 10 bucks, plus a free inspection on major components.Total cost out the door for me was about 25. Conventional oil and cheap filter. Point is, check out your local trusted indy and have them change it for you rather than bringing it to the stealership.

Originally Posted By: The_Nuke
The whole thing about these oil changes being limited to 5 qts, and any beyond that will cost ya, has been the norm for at least the last 20-25 yrs I know. But it seams to me it isnt normal to only need 5 qts anymire. Logic would dictate these oil change specials would gradually follow suit over the years and get beyond the 5 qt limit to keep up with the times.. but they havent, obviously. The cynical side of me thinks tgat is on purpose to allow for the extra charges that invarably come with requiring more than the specified deal's specs allow. Could it really be that simple though...and shady?

They've been advertising 5qt fills for so long, it's a standard base price now. They're not going to adjust it, as consumers would complain the price has risen, when it really hasn't (as much) for the same amount of oil, and it was always more if you didn't. Consider it a baseline now.

I seem to remember back in the 90s, the Jeep/Eagle Dealer my father used to get his 1993 Wrangler serviced at, they charged $35-sih dollars for a oil change, but that was when I think Chrysler was still making their own oil filters and their house oil was I think was made by Ashland but wasn't Valvoline.

I was in a few months ago to the Jeep dealer for a recall. They offered me a synthetic oil change for $89.99. I passed.........

Sounds like bait and switch. Usually the dealer has a get-em-in-the-door oil change that competes with the fast lube places. They can try and upsell and you can look at new cars while waiting. But if your specific, you can get the low price.

I was annoyed that our Honda dealer sent us a deal for an oil change special (with rotation) that was $52.99 for most cars and $62.99 for cars that take 0w-20.

Of course I diy.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Mercedes is basically $300 for a synthetic oil change and they check a bunch of stuff. But it's good for 10k. I think you can also get a free loaner too.

At $300, you should get a free loaner. You paid for it.

I asked about the synthetic oil change at the Ford dealership and the service adviser said to save my money and just use the synthetic blend for the Edge. The recommendation is to use the OLM to change the oil and if you go to a year, replace it then. I am assuming that the OLM is calibrated for Motorcraft synthetic blend oil and having a warranty on the car I am going by the Ford requirements. My OLM actually said there was 38% lie left at 8966 miles but it is a used (certified preowned) and I have no previous service records; I did the math as best I could and I think the oil was changed at least once or maybe the OLM was reset.

I don't have an issue of paying extra for extra oil - I expected it; what bothered me is paying $10 more for 10W-30 oil because it wasn't "standard Ford oil" ... next time it'll be 5W-30 as someone here suggested!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back