S&W Rebates

Status
Not open for further replies.
So who's taking advantage of Smith & Wesson's rebates? I picked up a Bodyguard for $199 after rebate. I see that Palmetto has a deal on the .40 Shield for $204 after rebate.

2res4na.jpg

I sold my Shield as I didn't really care for it. Its a good enough gun though. With the $75 rebate, they are an absolute steal.

I'm actually a big fan of the SD9VE series. I find them to be one of the best budget pistols on the market. If you are on a budget and need a home defense gun I definitely recommend them. After $25 rebate you should be able to find one for $250ish.

Maybe Smith has a 2nd generation Shield on the way and they are trying to get the old models sold and emptied out of the distributors stock. Maybe.

The 40 is definitely more of a handful than the 9 but now it's easy to find a replacement 9 mil barrel for it so, for a little over 3 bills, you could have the best of both.

I've been wanting the 45 Shield for quite a while now, but since I already carry the 9, I decided to get the Bodyguard to replace my Beretta Bobcat. The BG fits in my pocket better than the Bobcat does. The wife wanted to go on a cruise this summer so I will have to wait on the 45. Good news is, I did get a green light on a car lift.

I have been considering trading my Shield 40 in and getting a Shield 9 with the rebate. I agree with what has been stated above, they are a bit snappy.

Not really a fan of swapping the barrel. YouTube video I saw showed a tad bit of play with the 9mm aftermarket barrel.

Originally Posted By: Mantooth
I have been considering trading my Shield 40 in and getting a Shield 9 with the rebate. I agree with what has been stated above, they are a bit snappy.

Sounds like a good idea. HST 124 Standard pressure is a top choice for it and Magguts makes +1 and +2 magazine extensions
smile.gif

200 is the regular price for the LCP. I wold recommend it over the bodyguard.. I put over 1000 rounds on it and if I had a failure..I don't remember it.

Originally Posted By: Mantooth

Not really a fan of swapping the barrel. YouTube video I saw showed a tad bit of play with the 9mm aftermarket barrel.

There are aftermarket barrels available to convert the 40 to a 9, and maintain proper lockup. Storm Lake and Remsport make them.

Originally Posted By: Al
200 is the regular price for the LCP. I wold recommend it over the bodyguard.. I put over 1000 rounds on it and if I had a failure..I don't remember it.

Which model? LCP, Custom, or LCPII. For a 380s intended purpose, the Custom is a fantastic gun, much better than the original LCP. For a range gun, the LCPII can't be beat. The Bodyguard just feels better in my hand than any of the LCPs, and contrary to what most people hate about it, the trigger, I prefer it. As with any new design, the BG has had its growing pains but all issues seem to be worked out now. I have just over 200 rounds of 4 types of ammo through the BG and it has been flawless but time will tell.

Last edited:
The Wife wants a shield 45 to take when she takes the dogs and our boy to the park. Gotta love a woman that prefers a .45.
cool.gif
They are like ~$225 from Palmetto after rebate.

Originally Posted By: funflyer

Which model? LCP, Custom, or LCPII. For a 380s intended purpose, the Custom is a fantastic gun, much better than the original LCP. For a range gun, the LCPII can't be beat. The Bodyguard just feels better in my hand than any of the LCPs, and contrary to what most people hate about it, the trigger, I prefer it. As with any new design, the BG has had its growing pains but all issues seem to be worked out now. I have just over 200 rounds of 4 types of ammo through the BG and it has been flawless but time will tell.

Depends on what you want. An LCP is a self defense hand gun..pure and simple. They'll all be identical in SD situations. You take it to the range to practice SD situations. If you know what you are doing all three of them will give exactly the same results..for better or worse.I am nort looking for a "good" trigger for a SD firearm. But whatever you like is the way to go.

Bodyguard was more snappy than the LCP. The Shield 40& 45 are snappy also.

The new 40s have gone sales-dead the past decade or so. 9mm is pretty much what the old 40-cal owners moved to.

I would not want to pocket carry the new LCP2, the trigger is too short and light for that purpose even in a pocket holster. If I was going to belt carry I would just take the shield.

I think the LCP custom is the best option, although the heavy trigger on the regular LCP (gen2) is perfectly adequate for up close and dirty, it would be certainly give you added comfort to know that it will be not go off even if something got into the trigger since it's a very long pull

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I would not want to pocket carry the new LCP2, the trigger is too short and light for that purpose even in a pocket holster. If I was going to belt carry I would just take the shield.

I think the LCP custom is the best option, although the heavy trigger on the regular LCP (gen2) is perfectly adequate for up close and dirty, it would be certainly give you added comfort to know that it will be not go off even if something got into the trigger since it's a very long pull

I like how the new lcp shoots, but i'm not sure i want to carry a small gun with that trigger. My lcp has the long trigger pull. I think i prefer that on a small carry gun. ( I always holster carry)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I like how the new lcp shoots, but i'm not sure i want to carry a small gun with that trigger. My lcp has the long trigger pull. I think i prefer that on a small carry gun. ( I always holster carry)

That's the reason why I like the BG. It has an even longer and tougher pull than the LCP but I have no problem with it. The ones who don't like it much are usually the little weak guys or women. If you watch some of the review videos of the 380s, you can see just how weak some people really are. I'm surprised they don't get bonked in the head from the recoil.

Originally Posted By: JDM396
The Wife wants a shield 45 to take when she takes the dogs and our boy to the park. Gotta love a woman that prefers a .45.
cool.gif
They are like ~$225 from Palmetto after rebate.

I hope she got one.

I ordered one, should be here next week. I figured this is the time to get what you want before prices go back up and the rebate ends.

I want to love S&W but can't. Even at these prices... I really didn't like the Sigma I had as my first gun, and that bad impression has carried over to their current lineup. They've taken their Sigma design architecture and still use it as the basis of the SD9VE, Shield, Bodyguard, and even the M&P. Upgraded and refined, yes, but still carrying the DNA of the Sigma.

The Sigma was absolutely awful. So is the Bodyguard according to everyone I know who has had one. But the M&P series is quite good I believe. Not sure how much they have in common with the Sigma, but something that is broken CAN be fixed too.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I want to love S&W but can't. Even at these prices... I really didn't like the Sigma I had as my first gun, and that bad impression has carried over to their current lineup. They've taken their Sigma design architecture and still use it as the basis of the SD9VE, Shield, Bodyguard, and even the M&P. Upgraded and refined, yes, but still carrying the DNA of the Sigma.

You know a Sigma is "carrying the DNA" of a Glock, being a Glock copy, right? On the early ones, you could put a Glock slide on a Smith frame, and vice versa. Copying a Glock is not a bad thing.

As to the trigger, the SD9VE does not have a Sigma trigger. It feels much better. It breaks at 8 pounds, not 12. Being that the SD9VE is marketed to new shooters, those on a budget, and those with limited firearms skills, the trigger is PERFECT. Its safe, being longish like a double action revolver, and in weight, at about 8 pounds. Its a PERFECTLY designed trigger for new shooters.

If you are a 3 gun shooter that needs a light, crisp 4 pound trigger with a quick reset, then obviously this gun is not for you. If you are Joe Schmoe American, on a budget, this gun makes sense.

I have expensive guns, really expensive guns, and I'll be the first one to scream from the roof tops how good these $250 guns actually are. They are good guns. Period.

People sometimes complain about these guns by saying, "Glocks are better". Or Beretta's. Or Sig Sauer, etc. Better at what? If Joe Alpha successfully defended his home with an SD9VE, and Joe Bravo successfully defended his home with a Beretta, how is the Beretta better? They both are combat accurate, reliable pistols, that can put rounds on target if you do your part. And the SD9VE does it for less money (half the cost of a Glock, Beretta, Sig, or HK).

There is an unjustified hate for this pistol. I'm almost 97.6% certain that if you put this gun into the hands of its detractors, gave them 500 rounds, and told them to actually go shoot the pistol, most would come away impressed and with a different view of the pistol.

The SD series is an evolved Sigma in the same way man is evolved from other great apes. There is some DNA sharing there, but just enough difference to make it more advanced when it comes to Homo Sapiens.

If you toss in an Apex trigger into the SD series, they get even better, just as the M&P gen 1 improves. For someone needing a 300 dollar gun or less to defend a home with, the SD series is certainly worth a look at. I have even thought about getting one as a real beat around gun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back