02 Buick Regal Joseph abboud

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found one for sale, has 127k miles, no body damage, no body rust, but some rust on the metal bracket that the radiator sits on. Oil on the underside, but no spots on the sellers driveway. Test drive was good, the supercharger was pretty quiet, suspension fine and steering was fine. Just needs a good detail and tires. It was clean through the oil fill, no milky substance. The coolant was dexcool orange, no signs of oil in the coolant overflow. He is asking $3000. Does anyone have any experience w this? Any recommendations?

That is the fair price for the condition, they are cheaper in rusty condition. They are nice especially if you rust free which is why Is big problem around here. It's not a deal breaker anyway.

The regals have plastic rocker covers so they usually rust under those where you can't see. Give it a little tap with your foot on the rockers to see if it falls to pieces underneath.

Transmission is a weak point on any of these but you never know if it's gonna go 100k or 200k without problems.

Also they didn't use good brake lines until 2003 so rusty brake lines are a huge problem around here, not sure about your area but check the lines under the car if possible.

I forgot to add my father in law has one with almost 200k on it, he got it for $1500 but the rockers are completely rusted underneath the cover, other than that it's extremely clean.

I remember those. Nice cars but he's asking too much. Retail value for my 2000 Regal GS which is in great shape only showed around $1500. That special edition would not double the value.

These tend to go for fairly cheap. I've owned a handful of 3.8's in the past 30 or so years. More often then not people just wanna throw them away so you can get some really good deals if you look around.

Teens normally avoid them since they don't look all that sport and the stigma of a "Grandmother's Car". Still tho you can find them cheap.

I've never purchased a vehicle from a dealer tho I just by them in cash. Figure if I can't afford to save the money I don't need the car.

But yeah they have some problems with the lower/upper intake and gasket leaking. They tend to go bad around the 50,000-70,000 mile mark and have to be watchful of the vehicle in order to prevent potential damage.

The transmissions also have problems as well and that can get expensive. As long as the fluid is not burnt and you change it regular you can extend the life of it a great deal. They are good cars if you care for them.

They also tend to leak but they are not really know for nickel'ing and dime'ing you. Just keep up with maintenance for the most part. Often times people just neglect them and small problems end up getting worse and they blame it on the vehicle.

These things can really be had for cheap when buying private party. Most I've ever paid for a 3.8 was $2,600 and it was by every grade mint condition.

I even got a 98 Bonneville once for $700 with less then 90,000 miles. Was a great car and had it for a number of years but the oil pump had a rather quick and unexpected death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back