Do thermostats get 'lazy' over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Temperature range is likely the issue . Ic its minus 5 faren outside it take a while to warm up .colder means tolerance are tighter and part could stick . Even well made.unless someone knows a brand or type that is better .

Check them with a Pyrex glass container and heated water ... it's helpful if you have a thermometer to check the water temperature, as knowing the exact water temp will help you determine if it's working at the desired temperatures, but plain boiling water is OK since that is hotter than the opening temperature, so it should open completely if that is all you have.

You can add cooler water and watch it close for a basic function check.

Note that thermostats aren't like a digital switch ... they do not go from fully closed to fully open at the rated temperature. But once some degrees beyond that temperature either way, they should be fully open or closed. Between those numbers, part open is pretty much what you can expect.

If the thermostat seems "slow" I would check to insure there isn't air in the cooling system.

New-in-box thermostats have been known to be improperly operable enough in my experience that I now check them before I install them.

They can get lazy/wear out, and can fail if a car was overheated due to low coolant, a radiator leak, blown hose. The only thermostats I ever had problems with right out of the box was aftermarket, now I only use OE.

Replaced plenty of lazy thermostats. They open and then don't close all of the way, or open too soon. One of my Rams was running at 140 degrees on a hot day, and 120 on a cool day because of this very issue.

I've always replaced the thermostat every other coolant change.
That was every 4 years with the green stuff, and at 10 years with my current car.
My aunt's 1976 Nova had the thermostat stick closed on the highway.
That was a bad scene, but that straight 6 was tough enough to survive.

I've generally just replaced them every other coolant flush and the last few times every coolant flush.

Only issue I've ever had was one seemingly getting stuck after the car had sat for almost 5 months. Took it for a long drive and the temp gauge got close to overheating. Very next day when I went to check it out, temps were back to normal and everything checked out fine. Figured it was the thermostat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back