New Home Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am researching replacing my homes windows. They are currently vinyl windows. I'm in North Carolina. My home faces west and gets a lot of sun. Are there Tinted windows? would that be a good idea?
I need to go ahead and replace my kitchen window, so i can re-trim it and proceed with countertop replacement and back splashes.

What are good brands? Reading online, I see some mention that air egress is as important as the solar coefficent and u numbers.

I have also read about brands such as Ideal and Survivor, but i don't know how they compare to Pella/Anderson. How do i find out/compare things such as air ingress/egress?

Thanks.

P.S. My current windows are 20 years old and not that great a quality, so just about anything will be better. Several of them have fogged up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Newer windows are much better. Look for Windows that have that low e coating that reduces the amount of heat that can pass through the window. You won't need tinted windows. Grills are still popular up here. There are different designs of grills to choose from.

I'm not sure what's available in your area. With that said, I would recommend OKNA vinyl replacement windows. From my extensive research and discussion on window forums (yes, they exist), this brand is considered the BEST by many. Also look at Softlite windows. I put 22 of these in my house. They're well built. Very pleased so far.

Dont really need tint.. you can get some with a coating that reflects away heat and UV.. lets all the "good" light through.

Forget "tint," you want windows MADE with a low-E glass and you want dual-pane (almost a given these days). While its not a dark tint, Low-E does have a very faint dimming cast and I was actually shocked at how much more livable it made several rooms in our house. The sun can shine through in mid summer, and you can sit with it on your skin and barely feel the warmth. The other thing that shocked me (the window company advertised it but I refused to believe... until experiencing it) was how much QUIETER the house is with modern double-pane windows. Almost no outside noise gets through unless we choose to open the windows.

The best window for you can vary a lot by region. We wound up, at the recommendation of the company doing the installation, using Simonton as they felt that company made the best window for our area. Simonton sells a completely different window in coastal areas, too. Andersen and Pella get all the press and are certainly good, but they're kinda the GM and Toyota of windows. There may be better choices for you out there.

There are some earlier threads (1-2 yrs old) on this topic you should search for. I recall them being pretty informative.

What was mentioned about low E glass is spot on. Some manufacturers add argon gas but from my research it dissipates through the glass itself. Replacement windows vs new construction windows - have to figure that out as well. Anderson makes both New and replacement windows, Pella gets good things said about them. Marvin is top of the line. I bought Peachtree windows years ago and they were very nice. Full screen windows look nicer IMO than 1/2 screen and have the added benefit to be able to open top and bottom at the same time.

When I had my house resided I had them replace the 1970 storm windows with up to date new construction vinyl windows. They are probably about 11-12 YO now and haven't had any issues with them. I got them from the people doing the siding so it was whatever brand they recommended (not a HD brand); we wanted Anderson's at the time and they were going to be much more expensive, we didn't have the money so we got these instead.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Forget "tint," you want windows MADE with a low-E glass and you want dual-pane (almost a given these days). While its not a dark tint, Low-E does have a very faint dimming cast and I was actually shocked at how much more livable it made several rooms in our house.

Low E glass is fantastic I highly recommend it. My South Florida home has both low E glass and smoke tint (in the same windows) they are quite pleasing to live behind. Plus the tint prevents people from seeing in, during the day.

Some other thoughts. Hurricane resistant glass is wonderful for reasons other than hurricanes. It insulates better and is very burglar and mishap resistant. While it can be rather expensive, it looks a lot better than burglar bars. Some hurricane windows simply cannot be broken into easily. The frames are strong, as is the glass.

Just had some custom size windows made by JenWeld from Menard's. Picked them up last night. Double pane with the low e coating. Replacing double hungs with a single glass.

I had some Anderson picture windows. They were original to the house and did well for 45 years.

Don't get hung up on the grantee. I've had two different manufactures for replacement windows who offered the lifetime guarantee and both went out of business.

I agree with the idea that sometimes what are considered the "best" window brands can be regional. I'd get a handle on that and work out from there. On the West Coast, Anlin and Milgard have a very good name but I don't believe they have the national scope of an Andersen. Then again, Renewal by Andersen, which is the installation arm of Andersen, has a poor reputation here for stringing along customers and overpromising. IMO, it's a multi-faceted process in figuring out what's "best" in terms of replacement windows.

Having recently replaced a 1979 construction sliding door and kitchen window, you'll probably be shocked how much better the new windows will be no matter what you chose.

I replaced almost all the windows in my house in 2012 and 2014. I had grills before, got rid of them as I like a clear view out better and I'm not a big fan of the style anyways. Plus grills in the interior of the glass (between the panes) where they don't affect cleaning of the glass kill the efficiency and you can't get an energy star window with them. I asked around a LOT and found that most people don't like their windows but Anderson customers were the least likely to be unhappy. I ended up buying Anderson Silver line windows from Home Depot (called something else there). I have been very happy with them. Lifetime warranty.

I went with the best Low E glass they had, there are different levels. I replaced a door at the same time and it was only available in Low E of a lesser grade and on a sunny day you can feel quite a difference between the door glass and the window next to it with the better Low E coating. It sounds like Low E coatings continue to improve, so I would get the best you can of what is currently offered if you want to block the radiant heat from the sun.

I replaced mine due to age and the fact that several had started to fog up, just like yours. Each window had 2 sections of glass (double hung windows) and I had one section (1/2 the window) replaced for $165 before I decided to just put in new windows. I averaged between $200 and $250 for each window which was cheaper than just fixing the fogged up sections of glass. All the windows were starting to go bad and fog up. I did the labor myself so it made sense to just replace them from a financial perspective. I also took down my vinyl siding and put up Tyvek wrap as well. My windows and walls are much better sealed than before and has made the house much more comfortable for us.

It seems that some manufacturers like okna or simonton only sell to contractors not individuals. This limits my options it seems to pella, anderson and jeld-wen 2500 series.

Last edited:
We replaced windows in our 1996-built house 2 years ago. Low-E glass, triple pane, vinyl windows, beige frames this time instead of stark white like the originals. My only issue is the the frames are "beefier" so the glass area is a little smaller.

The main thing I've noticed is that there is a lot less noise from cars going by on the street.

The new windows also have retracting latches built in, so the window can be opened maybe 6 inches, and that's it, so the dog can't stick his nose through the screen, and bad guys can't get in without breaking the window...not wide enough opening to get their arm in. Although, if they DID get their arm in, they might not get it back if Zeke saw it...he's very protective of the house.

We replaced our windows with vinyl, double hung, double pane low e with argon from Window World. 12 windows total was around $4600. Major difference. Much quieter and worked like a charm. Between the new A/C and the new windows we can keep the thermostat set at 73F 24hrs a day in this south Texas heat and our electric bill is only about $130 a month.

I'm looking at the jeld wen 4500 with 366 glass. I get full sun, the width of my house faces east. 20 windows.

Last edited:
I ordered 1 window for the kitchen. Ordered one, so i could judge quality. No display, so we will see. Ordered a Jeld-wen 4500 series argon filled, 366 low E glass.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I ordered 1 window for the kitchen. Ordered one, so i could judge quality. No display, so we will see. Ordered a Jeld-wen 4500 series argon filled, 366 low E glass.

It's going to be about the same as every other window in that category except in 15-20 years when the window looses it seal. What company be around or honor their warranty!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back