Battery with lower cca than the factory battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dart came with a different battery when I bought the car it's a no name battery but does say made by Johnson controls. The battery is rated at 600cca so far this hasn't caused issue but the factory battery is i believe 750 cca. Is theor any issues with just leaving it till it quits? Even in winter time?

Probably no problem at all. In fact, racers regularly remove heavy batteries and install motorcycle sized batteries to save weight. Never causes an issue.

Back in the 60's and 70's, those big V8 engines were being started with batteries having 500 cca's. I think it's overblown today even with all those additional demands modern cars have.

That's better than the 390 CCA battery Subaru put in my car. After four years, the engine would turn over slow but fire up every time. Replaced it with a 640 CCA battery. 600 to 700 CCA should be enough for a 4 cylinder. Kinda surprised yours came with 750.

My Miata is running with a lawnmower battery(U1R) it's a cheap light weight battery,15lbs it's ~10lbs lighter than the OEM.

Been running without issue for almost a year now

Battery output declines over time. You start off with a bigger battery than you need so that it takes several years before its output declines enough to cause problems. I haven't had battery issues until the tested CCA drops below 300 and it's really cold outside, and that's with a V8.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The only real problem is that it won't last as long

Some claim that in very hot climates, when comparing batteries of equal size dimensions, the lower CCA battery might actually last longer. Some of the reasons I was told by an Interstate rep. were that the plates are slightly thicker and not crammed so tight together, allowing them more breathing" room.

Of course, you know what they say about "somebody told me". Maybe one of our battery experts can chime in on this topic.

in the grand scheme of things it doesnt matter and is harmless so do as you like

but if somehow you are ashamed or feel guilty or need validation from internet strangers about; and you dont like feeling that way; then that's a different personal to work through so you can lead a more happy life.

Last edited:
Right on - my 5.3L has a 600 CCA - I just know 3 years is what to expect for my $99. I'd look for a bit more in the north -

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Back in the 60's and 70's, those big V8 engines were being started with batteries having 500 cca's. I think it's overblown today even with all those additional demands modern cars have.

And those motors also had less compression on the engine as well. There are plenty of economy cars with 13+ compression ratios today.

When I was a young tech you can turn a motor over by hand easy. Many cars today I pull the plugs as its much more difficult when they hit compression on newer cars.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz

And those motors also had less compression on the engine as well. There are plenty of economy cars with 13+ compression ratios today.

When I was a young tech you can turn a motor over by hand easy. Many cars today I pull the plugs as its much more difficult when they hit compression on newer cars.

I've been told most starters today are gear reduction. So while the work to be done is harder, the load on the battery is less. Recently I had to jump my Tundra 4.6L V8, battery was something like 9V (toast). I hooked up my cables and the darn thing started after less than 30 seconds of charging! in the old days it would have taken 5 minutes to get enough juice over to the battery to get a tepid crank.

my dad put an undersized battery in my truck and it was fine for the few years it was in there. I only replaced it because it couldn't be properly be anchored down to the battery tray and I didn't want it flying around, and I was replacing the cables and doing some needed maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz

Name some. I don't of any that are that high.

I have read that two same size batteries with different CC amps would favor the lower CC battery in a very hot clement. Don't know if this is true or not. Maybe someone with data or information will explain. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back