Ford WSS-M2C171-F1 spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I noticed out of T4, T5 and T6 only the Rotella T5 meets this Ford spec in 15w-40. I could only find one 1.25qt of Motorcraft 15w-40 oil at Wal-Mart. Ended up buying it and a 2.5 gallon of T5. I could use the T5 and finish with the MC meeting the WSS spec but I do not want to mix oil so I will return the MC and pick up 2 1 gallon jugs of Shell T5 15w-40. I do not know if mixing the shell and MC will cause issue's but who knows. If you have a opinion on this matter let it be known.

I wonder why T4 and t6 dont meet the specs? I guess I will just stick with the T5 as since the MC says it meets new spec. I cant find anymore MC 15w-40 for some reason? If I knew 10 Quarts of Rottela T5 15-40 with 5 quarts of MC 15w-40 would be fine I would just use it this go around.

Thanks Garak, I notice the wording of the spec talks about old diesel and new. I know people are just cleaning the new MC oil off the shelf as soon as they stock it here. My truck has only ever had Rotella and I have the original Injectors that are knocking on 18 years old.

I think Ford is doing the same thing GM did with the Dexos oil they license but I don't think they charge to be on the approved list. I guess the general consensus is this spec is aimed at the 6.7??

Thanks for the help, I just try to do the best for my ole girl

Note that if you look at the "E" spec, the previous one, there are plenty on there that aren't on the F1 spec, and there are plenty of fairly basic lubes on the current specification. And yes, it's about Ford's panties being wadded over the 6.7 and CK. Of course, the new spec is a backspec, too, as they indicate.

Note that your vehicle survived the switch to CJ-4, when there were many panics about the CJ-4 rollout. It's the same old song and dance, this time with Ford waving the conductor's baton, in a very panicked fashion.

What you've been doing is just fine, and will continue to be fine. If you're really unsure, just bring it up here, and I'll make sure to take very good care of it.
wink.gif

Note that my faith in Ford's lists is a bit shaky at times, and I'm a big Ford fan. Their "E" version of the list has products that are not only low phosphorus, but also have viscosities not mentioned once in any of their owner's manuals. So, I wonder what it actually takes to get listed.

Many years ago, Shell Rotella was exactly what was in the Motorcraft jug (Same with John Deere Torq Gard supreme 15w40)

I don't understand your fear of mixing the oils.

Well, there is some wisdom to sticking with what works. It doesn't help when we have OEMs playing around with specifications and playing mind games over 15 to 20 year old engines, either, particularly when the problem is here and now and of their own making on one platform, or have oil companies add and drop specs at a whim. Most consumers aren't prepared to play those games. As one of his posts, the MC oil has been getting hard to find, and that's quite likely due to scare tactics and strange memos, and not some astounding price noted on the shelf tag.

Ford played this game once with the original 7.3 Powerstroke and the "foaming" fiasco. They had everyone, including my dad, a long time XD-3 user and occasional Rotella user, pounding on the doors at Ford dealerships for Motorcraft HDEO.

I see this as another rerun of Ford confusion. Ford has nothing it can teach Shell or Imperial Oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back