Got a $700 plow truck because snowblowing's lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you never have been afraid to bring some rusty junkyard refugee home with the intent of putting it to use.
You already know that you can sell the plow with all of the hydraulics for more than you have in this truck.
You could start with that and part this bad boy out at a nice profit, but I know that you're already aware of this.
Good luck with this old crock.
You can post some pictures after the next New Year showing us how effortlessly this thing clears your driveway along with those of your neighbors for forty bucks a pop cash only.

My neighbors are all meth heads who own plow trucks and just cruise on by when my wife's snowblowing out the berm where the road meets the driveway. Yankee Hospitality meets Southern Ingenuity.

This thing isn't getting plates, insurance, excise tax, etc.

On occasion I see trucks like that at farm auctions. They rarely sell, and when they do sell they never go for more than scrap price. They've usually been sitting behind a barn for a dozen years or so.

Scrap price must be a lot higher there than it is here.

You did good for $700.

You bought the great condition tires for $700, and they threw the truck in for free!

That should be a nice tool to make your life easier.

I would DEFINITELY fix those holes in the floor. Would be awful drafty and cold. Find a street sign
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
On occasion I see trucks like that at farm auctions. They rarely sell, and when they do sell they never go for more than scrap price. They've usually been sitting behind a barn for a dozen years or so.

It's a plow truck. Plow trucks are meant to be disposable. $700 for a run & drive 4x4 with a working plow in the Northeast sounds pretty good to me.

Do you have something better for the task?

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Michelin tire with 2000 date code and no cracks at all!

The Michelin haters won't like that..
laugh.gif

That thing is awesome! As little as our driveways are I'd still like to have one. Could pay for the truck the first snow doing peoples driveways, although the neighbors wouldn't be too thrilled about it being parked in front of the house on the street the rest of the year...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
This thing isn't getting plates, insurance, excise tax, etc.

So I take it you're keeping the F150? I never saw the point in owning more than one pickup, but if this one isn't road-worthy, then it makes sense to keep both.

When I register any car or truck my insurance company asks if I have a plow. They may also ask if I plow for money. It's implied that it would make my insurance extremely expensive.

So it's cheaper to keep the F150 as my on-road truck. It's only 2wd and I try to keep the salt off. Only drive it to the dump in the winter and I try to pick nice days.

Well, at least you already know who you're not going to pull out of a ditch this winter.

Day 2: Drained 5 gallons of two year old gas to get the tank empty. Added 1/4 bottle of Sta-bil, 1/2 a bottle of Regane, and a gallon of fresh fuel. It had been stalling on the previous owner. It no longer stalls.
laugh.gif

Oddly the carburetor has this $50 solenoid that's supposed to be the idle stop. This is broken. But the (Holley 2280) carb also has a screw on the back in case the solenoid gives up the ghost. It rides on that.

The old gas is only slightly darker, but it doesn't smell like gas. All the lighter fractions disappeared. I'm secretly mixing it into my wife's HHR's tank. Let's see if she notices.
28.gif

Went to a car show. Turns out my engine looks pretty much the same as the ones in a mid 60's Valiant. Same pancake alternator, etc.

Oil's full, medium brown, with a fram filter, and it's all staying in/ on there for now.

Antifreeze is fresh and looks like universal green.

What's in the transmission, transfer case, brake lines, PS system, or plow hydraulics are anyone's guess.

Also tuned up recently with new cap and wires and probably plugs, though I haven't looked at 'em.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Just face it Pops, you are jealous...

a251cb38565f2ee5b083e2b7c39de39d.jpg

Even your neighbours have upgraded...
692c610b525b1f2e2e276ede09e4d3ae.jpg

Update! Got thinking the clutch would be nicer if it were nicer.

This truck has a cute little trap door in the separate bellhousing. Drop that and one can see the clutch. Pull the transmission back four inches to get the shaft out and she'll drop, too.
wink.gif

You might notice the scissor jack in there. It was oddly difficult to pull the transmission rearward. So I rigged a come-along to the rear axle to yank it aft. Still stuck.

Aha! Figured it out. The shifter tower was catching on the floorpan. Now, I have an issue in that the engine is resting on its oil pan on a jack stand, and I don't want to lower it for clearance. And I'm happy with how everything is still balanced and aligned. The transfer case is still attached and the combination is still maneuverable. This leaves the floor pan to get peeled back like a sardine can. Not the first vent in that floor, either.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back