07' CTS 3.6L Engine Oil 148K Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello yall,

Any recommendations as far as oil for a 07' cadillac cts 3.6.
Manual and engine oil cap state Mobil 1 5w-30.
However let's be serious I'm sure GM & Mobil 1 worked a deal on that.

Driving info:
I'm in the city of Houston where its hot, humid, and quite rainy. Have about 150k miles with no motor or transmission work.
Also this thing does go through oil, I'd say about a quart around 3000ish miles.
Really need this thing to last.

Been researching around and read that this 3.6l is exceptionally hard on its oil... allegedly on forums.
My trusted mechanic that I personally know, commented on the 3.6l drinking oil & busting timing chains as quite common.
Was told that the 3.6 is simply like that in regards to oil...

Now I do know that I have quite a bit of miles, but I want to minimize any engine problems.

Thanks for reading or comments, questions, or random info!
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: TX_1821
Hello yall,

Any recommendations as far as oil for a 07' cadillac cts 3.6.
Manual and engine oil cap state Mobil 1 5w-30.
However let's be serious I'm sure GM & Mobil 1 worked a deal on that.

Driving info:
I'm in the city of Houston where its hot, humid, and quite rainy. Have about 150k miles with no motor or transmission work.
Also this thing does go through oil, I'd say about a quart around 3000ish miles.
Really need this thing to last.

Been researching around and read that this 3.6l is exceptionally hard on its oil... allegedly on forums.
My trusted mechanic that I personally know, commented on the 3.6l drinking oil & busting timing chains as quite common.
Was told that the 3.6 is simply like that in regards to oil...

Now I do know that I have quite a bit of miles, but I want to minimize any engine problems.

Thanks for reading or comments, questions, or random info!
cool.gif

PPHM 5w30.

How long do you plan to run on each change? I have owned 2 CTS with 3.6L motors and have a couple BiLs with STS and the 3.6L.

I would say a good high mileage 10w30 oil would work well for 4-5k changes as long as you check it every 1k or each month. As long as it does not get low the timing chain will be ok. But even 1 Qt low can start to starve the chain.

My BiLs STS went to about 190k before the trans went out. Engine was still going.

And change the trans fluid as well. Valvoline Maxlife is what I used in my 2 CTS's.

It probably spec'd 4718M, which has been superseded by dexos1.

That said, nothing wrong with using M1 5w30, the current iteration of which is miles ahead of the 2007 FF M1.

My choice would be Napa Synthetic when it's on sale because it's a good syn at a great price that meets dexos1 standards. But you can use any dexos1 5w30 with confidence
smile.gif

If you want, you might be able to use PP Euro L 5w30, which is sold at some Walmarts. It is dexos2, and the only dexos2 I've seen on the shelf of an American retail store.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Mobil 1 10w-30 HM. Very stout oil, shear stable and low noack.

What is the noack?

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Mobil 1 10w-30 HM. Very stout oil, shear stable and low noack.
What is the noack?

Don't know the NOACK, but its probably low, since its a thick synthetic at an HTHS=3.5, as high as some Euro-spec oils. A 5w30 SN oil like that comes in at HTHS=3 or 3.1, so this 3.5 is extra oil film thickness for sure, good for that timing chain. Being High Mileage, it has extra seal conditioners to prevent leaks in aging seals too. Good choice for the Houston climate as well.

That and good oil filter, like a Fram Ultra or Royal Purple filter, is about the best one can do.

I'd be tempted to put in half a bottle of Ceratec (moly, hex-boron) to help the timing chain as well.

A more mainstream approach is to choose any of the second generation dexos1 oils (not the 1st gen ones) since they added a timing chain stretch wear test to the 2nd gen oils. http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/
Then put in STP High Mileage Oil Treatment with Stop Leak -- must see Stop Leak on the front label, silver bottle for the seals if using a non-HM motor oil. Use only a half a bottle just to boost seal conditioners some.

Last edited:
Also forgot to mention other specs.

OCI- About 7000ish miles, with dipstick checks around every month.
Filter- Fram Ultra Synthetic rated at 15K miles (Really nice filter and nowhere near the [censored] of the paper pleated ones they have)
Also engine does make some ticking noise, however pretty sure it's the purge valve solenoid. Doesn't affect anything but make ticking sound.

Runner-ups for oil so far are

-M1 10w30
-PPHM 5w30
-X HM 10w30
-Castrol Edge 0w40
-M1 5w30
-Napa Syn 10w30
-Maxlife 10w30

Maybe simply the cheapest oil above mentioned?...

Even though I don't use M1 because of cold start clatter in my older flat tappet motors (and I just bought another one ...), I'd certainly try M1 5W-30HM as a first shot. If it still drinks that (?), maybe move up to a 0W-40 as all those are pretty stout and mostly shear stable
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: TX_1821
Also forgot to mention other specs.

OCI- About 7000ish miles, with dipstick checks around every month.
Filter- Fram Ultra Synthetic rated at 15K miles (Really nice filter and nowhere near the [censored] of the paper pleated ones they have)
Also engine does make some ticking noise, however pretty sure it's the purge valve solenoid. Doesn't affect anything but make ticking sound.

Runner-ups for oil so far are

-M1 10w30
-PPHM 5w30
-X HM 10w30
-Castrol Edge 0w40
-M1 5w30
-Napa Syn 10w30
-Maxlife 10w30

Maybe simply the cheapest oil above mentioned?...

If you want to do 7-8k then I would use a 10w30 HM Synthetic oil in that motor. Use which ever is cheapest but check it often till you know how it wears and uses.

I have used Pennz conventional 10w30 in the 3.6 in my 2006 Caddy CTS for quite some time, year round. It meets the 6094M spec that the owners manual calls for. A really good car and will keep for quite a while longer. To be somewhat fair, it lives in a heated garage in winter when not being used.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: double vanos
Castrol Edge 0w-40. Very stout oil.

I love how this is the BITOG answer to everything.
wink.gif

If M1 0w-40 hadn't dropped the LL01 spec, they'd be still there. If Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40 came in something other than dixie cups and EcoBoxes, they'd have a shot, too.
wink.gif

Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and Wix filters in both my cars with the 3.6, 5K oil changes.
2008 Malibu LTZ and wifes 2015 GMC Terrain DENALI.

I just picked up an 04 CTS w the 3.6L for my daily. I changed the oil and put in 5w30 clearance Smittys syn blend (from my stash) and an AC delco oil filter. I will run this for about 1k miles as a rinse then I willl use up my castrol magnatec 10w30 syn blend (also from stash) w 5k OCI from then on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back