How many use a slide hammer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be doing a wheel hub and bearing assembly soon and on this particular one, everyone recommends a slide hammer. In the past I've always used a gear/pulley puller. Honestly never looked at a slide hammer before. It seems like this could be a great addition to my tool chest.

Anyone out there use them regularly? I'm thinking about just going to harbor freight and using 25% off coupon. Would only use it once in a while but looks like it would make wheel maintanance and bearing work much easier.

I have one. It's an absolute must-have for removing rear axle bearings and for removing spindles on Ford twin traction beam front ends.

I run into things that it can be used for more frequently than I realized I would. Sometimes it does the job, sometimes it does in a pinch, sometimes it doesn't. The attachment that threads into the end of a pair of Vise-Grips can really come in handy. Not one of the staple tools on my list but a good addition that you'll be picking up more often than you realize if you do much component work.

IIRC the slide gets used to pull the hub and outer race off, right? Do you have the other tools for pressing in/out the bearings? If not, I'm not sure how much a slide hammer would be to me, not if I could rent it along with the other tools required.

Probably something you'd find a use for, elsewhere, once you had it. What I'm not sure.

If you decide against purchasing one, you can borrow one from Autozone and AAP through their loaner-tool-service. Pay the deposit and get it refunded when you return it within a month.

+1 on the Autozone and AAP loaner program. That is what I use for tools that I only need once in a blue moon.

Slide hammers are a must for just about any press fit bearing. They sell a new air hammer attachment so you can pull with it. Haven't used one but I got one [censored] of an air hammer that I'd like to try it on. Only thing is at the end of the day I can swing a 5 pound sledge harder than my air hammer I'd have to imagine the slide hammer is still king. Wear leather gloves and don't smash any fingers. Sometimes I like to set the slide hammer handle on a jack stand so I can really rip that Hammer.

I used it when I had to do the wheel bearing.

I got the one from Autozone Loan a Tool since it is going to be used once.

Originally Posted By: Donald
How many use a slide-ruler?

I can use one, but obviously don't. Museum pieces. Amazingly quick and accurate, though.

Slide hammers:
You can rent, but they are not expensive and you will not regret having one, it's one of those tools that you find many uses for besides just pulling bearings, right in the middle of some job dealing with a stubborn situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back