Jeep 4.0 oil change question

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 days ago, i changed the oil on my cherokee. I used 6 qts of pennzoil hm 10w30 with a fram ultra filter. Everytime i check the oil level now, it seems to be a half inch above the full mark. This is my first time using the fram ultra filter. Is the filter possibly allowing oil to drain back to the sump? The engine is the quietest its ever been with this combo may i add!

That seems weird and could definitely be the filter allowing oil to drain back to the sump.

That is a really good combo, my friend. My father uses PHM 10w30 and a Fram TG year round and his jeep loves it. I used to use PHM but got tired of my 4.0's lifter tick with it. Though to be fair I've tried other oils that my 4.0 has had lifter tick on as well. M1 HM so far has been the only oil to really silence it for the most part and at times completely.

The engine is a fresh short block so i dont have a tick yet and im tryin to keep it that way lol. Im just wonderin why my sump seems overfilled. Ive noticed my oil gauge climbs slower than normal on cold starts aswell. I just dont want to think that i wasted $10 on a filter if you know what im saying

I personally doubt it's the filter. The 4.0's are all spec'd for 6 quarts as far as I know, but they don't all hold 6 quarts. Mine will take 6 only if I use the oversize PH8A size filter, otherwise it's 5 3/4 on the button no matter how diligently I drain it.

The 4.0 generally likes Pennzoil, I used it in mine for a VERY long time. Not surprised you are getting good results.

I do appreciate your input but it usually reads just a hair above the full mark. It is possible that i didnt drain it enough but i i waited til it was dripping from the pain. I may just forget about it and go with a wix next time and see what happens.

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
I do appreciate your input but it usually reads just a hair above the full mark. It is possible that i didnt drain it enough but i i waited til it was dripping from the pain. I may just forget about it and go with a wix next time and see what happens.

Are you draining when hot?

I drain it when its hot and the dipstick isnt a problem cuz ive done a few changes since it was rebuilt. Im gonna try a different filter next time and see if it still reads high after sitting all night

Normal oil check level according to my 1995 GC With 4L engine is to park a warm engine on-level ground, wait 5+ minutes and check the level. Remember to push the dipstick in slowly so as to not create a splash at the end of the dipstick. Ed

I wouldn't worry. I don't even check the oil after changing it on my Jeep. Pour in 6 quarts and close the hood.

Actually I did the same thing with my Sonata today, 5 quarts in, close the hood, didn't even check it.

6qts gives me full mark, however I use the 51515 (equivalent wix) oversized filter. Sound about right. Don't loose sleep over it, not enough oil to cause issues.

I'm in the don't fret corner too. Seeing what the next filter (the WIX) will yield on the stick is what you need.

HOW MUCH longer does the oil pressure take to come up? This is where I might just jump ahead and change the filter prematurely.

Just between you and me, The effectiveness with which drain back valves work has always been questionable in my mind. It seems they came up with an idea for a shape and went with it. IF it works, OK. If not, they don't care.

Oil filters on the family's Saabs (there were 6 of them so I have some "hands on data") performed differently regarding how much oil had been held back by the ADBV. Unscrew some and there'd be nothing. Unscrew others and I'd get a quart of oil from the engine's upper reaches.

I also think the ADBV isn't alone. The configuration of the oil galleys and their size plays into an ADBV's performance, I believe.

Thanks everyone for the help. I switched it out for a wix this morning and now its around the full mark when i check the level. I noticed that there was almost no oil coming out of the filter when i removed it. Im not sure what the problem was but its fixed now.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I'm in the don't fret corner too. Seeing what the next filter (the WIX) will yield on the stick is what you need.

HOW MUCH longer does the oil pressure take to come up? This is where I might just jump ahead and change the filter prematurely.

Just between you and me, The effectiveness with which drain back valves work has always been questionable in my mind. It seems they came up with an idea for a shape and went with it. IF it works, OK. If not, they don't care.

Oil filters on the family's Saabs (there were 6 of them so I have some "hands on data") performed differently regarding how much oil had been held back by the ADBV. Unscrew some and there'd be nothing. Unscrew others and I'd get a quart of oil from the engine's upper reaches.

I also think the ADBV isn't alone. The configuration of the oil galleys and their size plays into an ADBV's performance, I believe.

Kira's right. Some engines are notorious for cold start clatter and Saab is one. I have always thought it might be the pressure relief valve in the filter base that has just a tiny flaw in the seat. Nothing to do with the actual filter. Over night it'll let fluid out/down, even if it means nothing to a running engine ...

Yeppers, I'd just like to reiterate a tad above full is never a problem (as others have stated).

The 4.0 oil capacity seems to (I put it lightly) vary. As KC and dlundblad state but in my case if I use the regular specd PH/TG/XG 16 6 quarts is full for me and when I use the PH/TG/XG 8A mine takes an additional 1/4 qt. I always check my oil with the Jeep cold though after it sits over night. I have checked it warm before after settling for 15-30 minutes and the same results occur.

Also, a buddy of mine is a mechanic. He has a customer with a 94 XJ with the 4.0L. It had an oil leak so the guy just kept putting in a quart every few days and never pulled the dipstick. He drove it over to my mechanic and when he drained the oil, over 4 GALLONS came out. He showed me the 5 gallon bucket that was almost full, it still ran but not very well and all that oil made a mess everywhere under the Jeep. After an oil change it runs great, has around 270k miles I believe. That was a couple years ago and the guy still drives it.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Also, a buddy of mine is a mechanic. He has a customer with a 94 XJ with the 4.0L. It had an oil leak so the guy just kept putting in a quart every few days and never pulled the dipstick. He drove it over to my mechanic and when he drained the oil, over 4 GALLONS came out. He showed me the 5 gallon bucket that was almost full, it still ran but not very well and all that oil made a mess everywhere under the Jeep. After an oil change it runs great, has around 270k miles I believe. That was a couple years ago and the guy still drives it.

I guess that's one way to clean a crankcase...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back