Using brake pads of an Accord on a Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, so I have a brand new set of ceramic brake pads laying around for an accord I no longer have.

Looking at the brake pads for one of the Civic we have, it has exact same pads, except the height is a bit different.

Is there a way I can use them?Can they be modified or no? Any input or suggestions? Thanks for the help.

Here are the dimensions for reference: Accord ones:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2031940&cc=1167263&jsn=400

Civic ones:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2044712&jsn=11&jsn=11

Looks like thickness differs by 2mm per pad, or 4mm total. So it gets down to, how much does your caliper extend? Enough to accommodate the thicker pad, or not, will probably determine it.

Also one is Semi-Metallic and the other is Ceramic. I generally stick with the OEM material type. It'll probably work fine, though, assuming it fits.

The final differentiator is contact area. That may be more an issue of which material type is used. You'd have to scroll though the rest of the pads for each car to see if there's any consistancy between car+bevel type, or material+bevel type.

And to answer your final question, you'd need the precision of a proper milling machine to take that 2mm off, or better yet, a surface grinder. Any kind of carburundum type abrasive will take semi-metallic right off, speaking from experience.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HangFire
Looks like thickness differs by 2mm per pad, or 4mm total. So it gets down to, how much does your caliper extend? Enough to accommodate the thicker pad, or not, will probably determine it.

Also one is Semi-Metallic and the other is Ceramic. I generally stick with the OEM material type. It'll probably work fine, though, assuming it fits.

The final differentiator is contact area. That may be more an issue of which material type is used. You'd have to scroll though the rest of the pads for each car to see if there's any consistancy between car+bevel type, or material+bevel type.

And to answer your final question, you'd need the precision of a proper milling machine to take that 2mm off, or better yet, a surface grinder. Any kind of carburundum type abrasive will take semi-metallic right off, speaking from experience.

Thanks very much for your input. Pads fitment and everything else is same as stock pads.

But couldn't fit the caliper on these pads, because of height/thickness.

Hence, I am wondering and asking if it's easier to shave that excess material off and reuse these pads? Since I no longer own the car and will put them to use too
smile.gif

What if you put just one accord pad on per side, on the inside which wears faster, leaving a civic pad on the outside. Run this combo for 2mm worth of wear and then chuck the civic pad and add the other new accord pad?

I'm not saying do this, just the academic in me wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back