3156 Bulb. Who makes a Nova equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Ford Econoline uses 3156 incandescent bulbs for "back-up lights" and they barely illuminate enough behind me for my reverse camera. I ordered a pair of chinese LED lamps and their plug was a terrible and unreliable fit in the sockets. Before I spend any more $$ I wanted to ask if someone has found the "holy grail" of back-up lamps?

Just for clarification, by Nova I don't mean the car but the exploding star. I want back-up lights bright enough to make roosters crow in the next county.

I'm certain that these are too tall to fit within my stock housing but you get the idea. What have you found and tried?

I don't think you're going to find a bulb that fits the stock backup light housing that will be as bright as you want.

I picked up a pair of cheap work lights and mounted them under the bumper of my truck, and it's WAAAY better lighting--there's simply no comparison.

I picked up a pair of flush mount lights with 6 leds each and put on a switch. Cut them into the bumper. Problem solved for hooking up trailer at night. Could easily use a relay that would prevent one from using them when not in reverse but with the first glance in mirrors you know they are working. About $20 for the pair, $5 for switch and was worth far more than that for the early AM get away.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AlaskaMike
I don't think you're going to find a bulb that fits the stock backup light housing that will be as bright as you want.

I picked up a pair of cheap work lights and mounted them under the bumper of my truck, and it's WAAAY better lighting--there's simply no comparison.

Interesting! I would imagine that provides a nice fantail splay of light. In Virginia where I live, the State Safety Inspection requires all installed lights to work yet will deny approval if the light is not in a approved location or color. One year I had to argue with a shop to approve my '64 Galaxie with the optional Unity spot light. I'll have to research this. I like the idea.
coffee2.gif

I've looked into this a lot for my F150 as the reverse lights are indicators only...at best. I've seen a lot of people who swear this LED or that LED made a difference, but given that the reflector/housings are pretty lame I'm hesitant to drop $20-$50 for a set of led bulbs (plus, what about heat soak?).

Best solution I've seen in the auxiliary led lights out there. I would bet you could find a nice balance between light output and power usage to allow you to tap directly into the reverse light wires without any extra wiring. I haven't done that yet as I don't like the idea of extra lights hanging down from my bumper- and I just don't need them that badly. If I did more trailer hook ups at night or whatever, then it would be done already.

I've found and ordered a pair of 18watt enclosures that really spray the light like a fire hose! They're something on the order of 1.5" X 6". There was a video on utube and they seemed to have more output than low beam head lights. There was a compact flush mount you might want to consider for your F-150. Once I get mine in and mounted I'll provide some pics.

Fianlly got the lamp assemblies installed. Total material costs would be around $14. Lamps can be found on ebay. They are either cast aluminum or pot metal and powder coated. LED's are six COB style sealed behind a hard plastic faceplate. 18 watt draw (1.5amp) so you can tap them off your feedwire to existing backup light. Here are the photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back