Cleaning cotton bonnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

What is the best way to get the wax residue off cotton buffer bonnets. Throwing in the wash does not really remove the wax residue. When re using they do not seem to be as efficient and load up quickly on the next job.

Last edited:
My x-father in law would turn on the buffer and hold the blade of a long-bladed screwdriver against it while it was turning and just knock the dried residue off. He was an old-school guy, did complete paint jobs with out even a paper mask. I watched that rascal shoot Imron with no respirator...and he's still alive in his mid-70s.

Last edited:
There are dedicated 'pad cleaner' type products you can use, but most of them are basically just concentrated citrus cleaners.

So once a year, I take all the towels and buffing pads I use for polishing and put them in a 5 gallon bucket with HOT water and a good amount of Home Depot bought citrus cleaner and let it soak. You can go in and agitate pads and stuff to work it in.

Usually does the trick quite well.

I just fo it the way my father showed me back in the 70's. Find the biggest flat blade. Screwdriver and let it lay across the wool. It works fine and doesnt cost a dime.

I always soak all my pads/bonnets in hot water with a degreaser or dawn for about an hour before I use the washer. Anything that removes wax from your car can do the same for your bonnets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back