Still Honda shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went and looked at a few yesterday,just nothing I felt 200% about. There were always "little" issues that bothered me,maybe I'm being petty,but I like things to be near perfect if I'm throwing down my hard earned money. I compare the condition of these cars to my 21 year old car,and if my 21 year old car is cleaner than these 2012's,it just puts me off. Here's a few things that just bother me about cars' conditions that I keep seeing. Do you all think I'm being too petty and picky on condition?

Dirty headliner
Missing or broken interior pieces
Bolster wear on the driver's leather
Scuffed up chassis
Broken or scuffed lower engine bay cowl
Scuffed exhaust
Dirty fluids
Dirty chassis
Scuffed chassis as if the car was bottomed out at some time

Looks like these cars are selling in the $12-$14,000 range with anywhere from 40-90,000 miles. I don't think I'll find one cheaper. But man these cars drive soooooo smooth!! I just still can't get over the way these 2.4 4cyl engines run and how sturdy and solid these cars are.

So what years are you looking at?

I hate light colored car interiors, they show dirt way too easily.

I'm looking at 4cyl 2012's which someone here recommended. One I looked at yesterday was red with black leather,but the headliner was dirty,the driver's side leather had pretty bad bolster wear,and the driver's side sun visor wouldn't stay up. But the body and paint were in perfect condition. 62,000 miles and wanted $12,900 for it.

Dude, it's a used car. If these things...normal wear and tear..bother you, then pony up and buy new.

You were the one deciding between a 2012 and 2013 Accord, right?

And remember, a lot of people buy into the "lifetime fluid" myth, and it's also possible that the 12's were former lease vehicles that nobody cares about. Your issues sound more like people who just don't take care of their cars.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
You were the one deciding between a 2012 and 2013 Accord, right?

And remember, a lot of people buy into the "lifetime fluid" myth, and it's also possible that the 12's were former lease vehicles that nobody cares about. Your issues sound more like people who just don't take care of their cars.

Haha yep that's me
laugh.gif
Yeah,I guess I'm just one of those who are compulsive about maintenance. I love seeing clear clean fluids on cars,no matter how old they are. My 1996 Nissan has crystal clear clutch and brake fluids,pristine atf in the power steering reservoir,and no varnish whatsoever on the valve train. I guess it's just how I was raised,to take care of your things because we should feel fortunate and blessed to have a car to drive and never take it for granted.

Most dealers are equipped to clean cars to as-new condition as part of the CPO program. You could ask that your car be thoroughly cleaned (headliner, engine bay, etc) and fluids changed as a condition of sale.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Most dealers are equipped to clean cars to as-new condition as part of the CPO program. You could ask that your car be thoroughly cleaned (headliner, engine bay, etc) and fluids changed as a condition of sale.

Good idea! My ding dong self never even thought about that. The one I looked at yesterday had bald tires and I brought that up. They said they'd either replace all for for me or knock off $500 of the selling price.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'm looking at 4cyl 2012's which someone here recommended. One I looked at yesterday was red with black leather,but the headliner was dirty,the driver's side leather had pretty bad bolster wear,and the driver's side sun visor wouldn't stay up. But the body and paint were in perfect condition. 62,000 miles and wanted $12,900 for it.

Use those as negotiating talking points. Either they correct, or price drops accordingly.
If they aren't motivated to please, you don't want to be wasting your time there anyway.
A problem with that generation is upholstery wear, especially in the bolster area.
I experience it first hand.

Here's my driver's seat bolster,and brake and clutch master. I know I'm really picky but if a 21 year old car can have fluids this clean,so should a five year old car imo. I don't know why the clutch master looks a little darker in the picture,but it's just as light as the brake master in person. Any specks you see in the seat picture is from my dusty cellphone camera lens and are not on the seat (including that large orange dot near the bottom).

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

Use those as negotiating talking points. Either they correct, or price drops accordingly.
If they aren't motivated to please, you don't want to be wasting your time there anyway.
A problem with that generation is upholstery wear, especially in the bolster area.

Nope,these people won't budge on their prices.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

Nope,these people won't budge on their prices.

In two words: keep shopping.
They work for you, not you for them.

Here's my driver's seat bolster,and brake and clutch master. I know I'm really picky but if a 21 year old car can have fluids this clean,so should a five year old car imo. I don't know why the clutch master looks a little darker in the picture,but it's just as light as the brake master in person. Any specks you see in the seat picture is from my dusty cellphone camera lens and are not on the seat (including that large orange dot near the bottom).

I agree 100%. I had a friend at a BMW dealer run the vehicle history on the 2er I bought so I knew it was properly maintained. It's just shameful the way some complete morons can ruin a good car in just a few short of years of ownership.
mad.gif

When you take care of vehicles the way you do, people should be lining up to privately purchase your ride. I am like you. Keep those leather seats nice and soft with some Meguiar's or Eagle conditioner and they look good and feel good.

Good luck with your Honda Accord search. Supposedly this Memorial Day weekend is one of Honda's biggest discount sales weekends of the year. It worked well for me yesterday. NC dealer gave me a $2,000 over allowance on my Subaru Outback trade plus almost 11% off the MSRP sticker (no supplemental stuff) on a new Odyssey.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
When you take care of vehicles the way you do, people should be lining up to privately purchase your ride. I am like you. Keep those leather seats nice and soft with some Meguiar's or Eagle conditioner and they look good and feel good.

Good luck with your Honda Accord search. Supposedly this Memorial Day weekend is one of Honda's biggest discount sales weekends of the year. It worked well for me yesterday. NC dealer gave me a $2,000 over allowance on my Subaru Outback trade plus almost 11% off the MSRP sticker (no supplemental stuff) on a new Odyssey.

SWEET!!
thumbsup2.gif

A Honda Accord is a mass market vehicle built well for price.

A 1996 300zx Nissan retailed for likely twice the price if adjusted for inflation so materials are in different realm. Don't expect trim or leather of 2012 Accord to hold up as well.

You're not going to find a used car to meet your criteria unless you find another fanatic like yourself and such a car will sell at a premium at a dealership. As previously said, your 1996 $40k car would cost $60k in today's dollars. Your sights are too high for a $13k 4 year old commodity sedan. Going backwards, a $13k used car today would have been around $8.5k then. The only way you might be happy is to buy a new one and be the only one to touch it. Good Luck.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
When you take care of vehicles the way you do, people should be lining up to privately purchase your ride.

When I bought the Clubman I mentioned that the X3 was for sale. I got a PM from a friend that night and he bought it for my asking price 2 days later. I'm sure OP would be in the identical situation.

You should be able to get one in good shape.

We just picked up a 2011 CRV for my grandma in November with 62k miles, $11,999. Showroom condition except for 2 very small scratches that you have to look for.

1jkp60.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back