charter vs. scheduled flight

Status
Not open for further replies.
We booked an all-inclusive to Punta Cana through Apple Vacations. It's a direct flight CVG-PUJ on Allegiant. The seating chart suggests it'll be an A320.

My question(s) pertain to the fact that it's an Apple charter, not a "normal" Allegiant flight. What should I expect to be different? Do they use older planes, or just whatever equipment happens to be scheduled? Will there be any other differences?

Before people pile-on and complain about Allegiant, we've flown them several times and have been satisfied with the whole experience. There's something to be said for using smaller airports like they do in their domestic service. Flying into Ft Walton Beach or St. Pete is SO much different than fighting the crowds at bigger airports, it's a completely different vibe.

As you probably know allegiant doesnt have 500 flights a day out of one airport like delta, sw etc. So if theres a mechanical issue or delay, youre gonna be waiting. They wont have another plane ready to take you in 30 minutes like bigger airlines. Ive flown with allegiant a handful out of savannah, and that is the only draw back imo. Ive had to wait 12 hours, but they put me in a hotel. I think that is why they refer to themselves as 'charter' vs scheduled, imo.

Well, this particular flight is an Apple charter, that's the only reason I'm curious. When we fly Allegiant we try to catch the earliest flight we can...our experience is that delays magnify themselves as the day goes on and if they're gonna be delayed significantly, it'll be late in the day.

My most recent Allegiant story is from March...first flight of the day from Phoenix Mesa to CVG, A320 loads, then two mechanics come into the cockpit, tinker with something for 45 minutes, then depart...we get an announcement that the delay was due to pilots finishing up paperwork (like we didn't see the techs in the cockpit?!?). Didn't think much more about it until we arrived at CVG, and the first people on the plane were two more techs...so clearly whatever the issue was, didn't magically cure itself.

We flew to Tampa in April on Delta, and they were only $20 per head higher than Allegiant round trip. We travel with a couple a couple of times a year, and the woman in the couple flat-out refuses to fly Allegiant or Spirit...only "real" airlines for her.

Allegiant uses MD88 antiques. It's the only local carrier (10 mins from house). I will state when issues arise they take time to address.

Definitely low key. I was able to take child home and return when plane was sorted.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Allegiant uses MD88 antiques. It's the only local carrier (10 mins from house). I will state when issues arise they take time to address.

Definitely low key. I was able to take child home and return when plane was sorted.
Just curious, Mad River, what local airport are you flying from? Marshfield is landing jets on an irregular basis.

Allegiant is ok . They fly thousands of folks from PBG Plattsburgh ny to Fla every year. 737's on this route far as I know.. here it's a regular daily service and I wouldn't have reservations flying them.

Right, DL has plenty of antique Mad Dogs still in service.
We've flown on aircraft built when I was still in my twenties in the past year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back