3.25% - 10 yr Refi at no cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talked with a major bank that has handled all my insurance needs for the past 40 yrs. Figured I'd try them on a Refi of my 30yr VA loan. $55K left to go and 8.5 yrs. Never had PMI. My current rate is certainly "stupid" high....I'll just leave it at >5%. Been in this home for 26 years. So nothing has changed with the property and/or title. My only debt is this home. Everything else I own. C/C is paid off monthly. My soft credit rating is 823. I'd imagine my current credit rating/FICO score should be plenty good.

So should I be able to get a "no cost" 3.25% or better 10 yr REFI? No cash out. Just a lower interest rate leading to lower payments. Since I no longer qualify to itemize my taxes as I approach retirement, the home deductions don't matter.

I talked with Quicken Loans on Friday and was so put off by their "hard sell," I finally hung up on the guy. They promised me a "rate quote" w/o personal information and the guy keeps badgering me for DOB, SSN, etc. A few minutes later I talked to my own insurance company. Their Mortgage agent offered me a 3.25% loan with no costs...and listed all the costs they would assume. I wrote them down. And I asked them is there anything else that would show up at closing that I would have to pay....and they said "no." Note that in 21 yrs with my insurance company on this home, there's never been a single claim made.

No VA funding fee / no origination fee / no appraisal fee / no title fee / no closing costs. We repeated this list twice. And twice the rep said their company WILL assume all these costs. All I have to do is to pay the appropriate escrow balances in advance for the 1 month or so as the lenders swap over. I assume that meant a month's mortgage payment which includes insurance/taxes. My current monthly payment should drop 19%.

So I get their package in the mail yesterday. And what do I see? PMI funding fee of $283 rolled into the new mortgage balance. Credit report of $18. Appraisal fee estimate of $575-$785. Title and escrow fees of $725-$1200. This runs $1300-$2000. The official numbers don't show up until the HUD-1 is received. Still, why even put those "ranges" in there if they are paying everyting?

Then there are some "pre-payments" of $2361 which don't make good sense to me. They want a year's worth of insurance ($1300) up front to roll into the new mortgage. I don't know what the other $1,061 could be ....a mortgage payment + something else? In another part of the document they say closing costs paid by me at $1790 (which is 1 yr of insurance + 2 months of property taxes). I know how to read a contract and do the math (even some abstract algebra).

The Loan WILL transfer from them as soon as they do it. I was sort of surprised to see that checked off in the documents. So why even show them any "loyalty" if they don't show me any? I guess it comes down to $$ and that's it.

So am I chasing a ghost figuring no costs? Should I be prepared to fork over $500 /$1000 / $2000? It's such a small loan (most won't even do a loan under $50K) and I've been here for 26 years (5 yrs renting + 21.5 ownership). If I went through my current Mortgage company would that make any difference, or do I all the steps still have to be done with hands in my pockets? I always figured Refi's would be "simple"....far less detailed than an original mortgage.

Previous refi thread here ...I read a few of the older threads on financing and mortgages.

I probably should have asked if a 3.25% rate w/o costs a good deal? I suspect it would be. Then again, "why" would a lender do it...or where would they be profiting on your loan?

Current 10yr REFI rates appear to be in the 2.8-3.4% range based on lender/terms. 2.95-3.00% appears to be the norm.

Sorry I can't help you with your question, but thanks for reminding me to check if my principal balance is low enough for me to stop paying PMI.. looks like sometime later this year I'll be able to drop PMI and save a few hundred a month.
grin.gif

Take it to a professional. Unless all of those fees are in writing as to be assumed by them and any funky wording about additional costs removed, I'd shop around. Heck, you should shop around anyway. Loyalty to corporations means very little these days.

With that said, I would choose USAA or Navy Federal over a local credit union, if the difference was small. They've treated me well enough and, for me, it's nice having things consolidated. If their loan costs hundreds per year more, it would take a lot to stay. Hundreds per month? See ya!

I'll be looking to buy a home within the next couple of years. I haven't looked very hard, because we're not there yet, but 3.25 seems good with no points or fees.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
With that said, I would choose USAA or Navy Federal over a local credit union, if the difference was small. They've treated me well enough and, for me, it's nice having things consolidated...

Same here. This 3.25% offer was through USAA....my insurance company for 40 yrs. Been more than satisfied. That's why I didn't expect a bunch of "add ons" in the paper work that was sent. As I said above, their intent is to sell the loan and not service it once financed. I didn't know that Friday. So "consolidation" is out the window.

I've run this through all sorts of calculators. I know exactly where I'd stand no matter how I do this. I'm just trying to find out if a 3.25% rate + no fees is achievable. And if not, what's the "best" I could expect? Or what higher rate would I expect in order to go in with $0 in fees and costs? My brother was a private RE broker in Mass. for many years. I ran it all by him on Friday too I really couldn't get much more in details. He said a 3.25% rate + $0 closing costs sounded too good to be true....it wasn't obvious to him why the broker would even do such a deal. I'm not big on giving every Tom, **** and Harry Mortgage Lender my personal info just to talk to them....and have them eventually compromise it on-line to some hackster. Small foot prints are preferable.

That is a really good rate for no cost, if it really is no cost. I got a 10 year credit union no cost for 3.74 and was happy to do that.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Sorry I can't help you with your question, but thanks for reminding me to check if my principal balance is low enough for me to stop paying PMI.. looks like sometime later this year I'll be able to drop PMI and save a few hundred a month.
grin.gif

Glad to help. At least we're guaranteed a positive outcome of this thread.

Originally Posted By: dareo
That is a really good rate for no cost, if it really is no cost. I got a 10 year credit union no cost for 3.74 and was happy to do that.

Good information. Thanks for posting that. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for....figuring people who have done it or are in the business side of mortgages, know exactly what you can expect to get.

Went through a primary residence and almost went through a refi recently. I would approach as if you were getting a new loan from scratch.

Will your loan to value be under 80%? There should be no PMI.

Shop around the rates, fees etc. I used Costco and had two competitive offers - 1 from eRates and the other from National Bank of KC. Check your rates against what you see at bank rate.

The fees are tricky as there are some that you can find your own provider - such as the notary, etc. This should be listed on the papers you get.

Also try your local bank, PenFed, and Navy CU, etc.

I have never gotten a bank (traditional banks and credit unions) to give me zero closing costs on a residential property. Now, on commercial properties they will do it.

Also, beware if you do find a lender that will give zero closing costs as you are paying for it somewhere. Like .05 higher interest or requiring PMI (which they can do even if you have 20% equity) and working the float on your money.

If a lender is going to bundle/sell your note they only make money on the closing costs and initial up front costs. I only deal with banks that keep the notes and get paid to service them.

Was Quicken trying to roll in PMI etc; or was it the major bank? Sorry, couldn't quite follow. Whoever was doing that sounds shady.

Hey if it costs nothing to go from >5% to 3.25% I would jump at it. Saves money. Seems odd--but what seems odder is how banks get you coming and going on mortgages (pay $$$$ for 30 minutes of paperwork even though they will make >100k over the course of 30 years? charging a higher closing cost on a cash out refi?).

I'd do the usual and run the numbers. If you save money once all the details are figured in, sure. If not, then it sounds like you're in the home stretch anyhow.

Do you own more than half your house?

Can you get a HELOC and just pay off the 1st mortgage with it?

+2 on Navy Federal Credit Union. Way less shade.

69gtx,
quicken loans is actually one of the better loan cos out there, they are no nonsense, 100% black and white, transparent, and trying to get you the best deal possible.

try your local credit union to compare.

What you got from your ins is the same, the rate is great,
Nobody will refinance you without those fees, at most they will waive the origination or loan fee of 400$.

Instead of going for a full refi, and paying mucho fees, why not take a fixed rate 2nd mortgage, and use it to pay off you loan or leave a $1 balance on your main loan if that is needed.

think creative, save money, don't be afraid to for a GFE, and yes they need all your details,

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I own 65-70% of the property now. PMI shouldn't even be an issue. Which is strange that it even showed up on the paperwork. I didn't even have PMI when I first opened the loan as the VA didn't require it...or guarantees it.

I considered a HELOC but really didn't want to assume another loan to pay off a current loan. Might as well find a way to pay off the mortgage myself shedding assets as needed. After 21 yrs with a mortgage, and still looking at "wasting" $10,000 over the next 10 years in interest with a 3.30% APR REFI....maybe the only reasonable path is to pay it off as soon as possible. I'll look into the HELOC further though.

I never got to 1st base with Quicken as their rep ticked me off when they wouldn't even give an idea of what kind of rate/package to expect before giving all my personal information. Not even a "gross" estimate. Since their own on-line advertising claimed they could give me that information w/o "personal information," I found it quite aggravating that it was just a baited tactic. I have no use for that kind of stuff.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: eljefino

I own 65-70% of the property now. PMI shouldn't even be an issue. Which is strange that it even showed up on the paperwork. I didn't even have PMI when I first opened the loan as the VA didn't require it...or guarantees it.

I considered a HELOC but really didn't want to assume another loan to pay off a current loan. Might as well find a way to pay off the mortgage myself shedding assets as needed. After 21 yrs with a mortgage, and still looking at "wasting" $10,000 over the next 10 years in interest with a 3.30% APR REFI....maybe the only reasonable path is to pay it off as soon as possible. I'll look into the HELOC further though.

I never got to 1st base with Quicken as their rep ticked me off when they wouldn't even give an idea of what kind of rate/package to expect before giving all my personal information. Not even a "gross" estimate. Since their own on-line advertising claimed they could give me that information w/o "personal information," I found it quite aggravating that it was just a baited tactic. I have no use for that kind of stuff.

I always wondered about those "quotes". How could anyone give you any sort of reasonable quote without any information. I would think a credit check would be the LEAST they would need to give you a ballpark figure.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I always wondered about those "quotes". How could anyone give you any sort of reasonable quote without any information. I would think a credit check would be the LEAST they would need to give you a ballpark figure.

They couldn't give me a quote with my current mortgage info + soft credit score 823 + no credit card balances + cars paid off + no debt outside the mortgage balance + age/income + no late mortgage payments going back years. What else would they need to give me ball park estimate as they had already promised? I gave them all that info within the 1st minute. It would take then 1-2 minutes to get a rough quote not binding to anyone. If they don't want to....that's their loss. There are rates posted all over the internet...they're not binding to anyone. Once they ask for name/DOB/SSN then that's into a hard back ground check which shouldn't be needed until they can at least give you a ball park quote/deal. What else is needed for identity theft....the next time they're hacked?

I suggest taking a serious look at a fixed home equity loan, not a HELOC. Let us know what you find out.

I'm in the same situation, lots of equity in the property, loan balance around 50k, but at 5%+ interest rate with about 15 years to payoff.

Never got around to doing a refi because of the small loan balance, hassle and cost, as mentioned you're basically doing a whole new mortgage.

http://www.thetruthaboutmortgage.com/using-a-home-equity-loan-to-pay-off-your-first-mortgage/

Originally Posted By: dja4260
I recently refinanced and was paid $1800. If it makes sense for you, go for it.

We refinanced, and walked away with some money as well.

Lowered the rate, eliminated PMI, and saved about $300 per month.

Also we got to skip a monthly payment, so that was another $900 we didn't have to shell out for that month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back