Plastic Engine Covers - just for looks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under most engine covers you'll find insulation. On the 3, it's now turning to dust and making the engine area dusty. Is there a purpose for the engine cover other than looks? Some have suggested it's for airflow and keep the hood from getting too hot. I'd like to not use it.

I have removed my cover over the throttle body assembly. I don't miss is and the engine doesn't seem to either.

Just for looks. Any foam is for noise abatement. Ive seen engines with the fuel rail/injectors encased in foam to reduce the injector ticking too.
Mine engine cover remains on to hide my Trick Flow Intake Plenium and BBK throttle body.
Otherwise, I'd remove it. Probably.

I took all mine off. I'm under the hood every couple of weeks checking stuff and they just get in the way.

Thanks for the responses. I couldn't think of any other reason but noise reduction. What about insulating the coil packs?

They insulate, deaden sound, and I guess are appealing to some people. Mine comes off in May and goes back on in November.

Its a visual thing.The 58 Edsel was supposed to get a really elaborate engine cover,yes way back then.However cost must have been an issue or serviceability.I'm sure it was going to be done to make Edsel "Different" from everybody else,pop the hood and show it off to everybody.Hey,look at my Edsel powerplant....does your Oldsmobile look like this?

They insulate noise and heat, and clueless buyers think a sleek, branded cover looks less intimidating/more attrative than a big piece of metal with wires and belts and spinning things.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Injectors on my IS are muffled significantly bythe cover, so it stays on.

Definitely a slight increase in injector noise. I can deal with that.

Looks better with them on than off. Why bother removing it and having to store it? It's under the hood and out of sight. I think you all just look for issues....lol

We saw some upper end car at the car show a couple of years ago. The "modesty cover" over the engine was like a second hood, under the hood. A bit much for me.

Hyundai/Kia has a sense of humor. Their engine cover on the Sedona is the best. It makes the engine look longitudinal
laugh.gif

2010-kia-sedona-lx-lwb-van-engine.jpg

I actually prefer the look of it on. The only reason I was asking is because the insulation underneath mine is now deteriorating and it's falling apart.

The base Altima doesn't come with the cover. It also doesn't come with rear speakers (just the 2 front ones) or cruise control. On most cars the cover is just there for the looks and make it harder for diy'ers.

I took a look under my CX5 expecting to find a nice aluminum head and was met with coils on spark plugs, wires and "stuff". Looks better with the cover on IMO. I would hope it provides some air flow to the coils ans some insulation for noise from the HP pump. Ed

The insulation underneath the engine cover is long gone on my 2006 Mazda 3. It started deteriorating about 4-5 years into the ownership. Once I noticed it falling apart, I removed all of it.
I still keep the cover on, as it provides protection from water and salt for the ignition coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back