Buying grandsons pickup (yes I'm insane)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok.. I'm buying the grandsons 1989 Dodge Dakota LE pickup with a manual Trans. Which is good cause I really wanted to have a manual one last time before I DIE..... anyway, is there an oversize oil filter I can put on this 3.9L engine? It calls for a Bosch 3330 or Fram 3614 etc.. and these are TINY. I'll put Mobil 1 5/30 in it and hope for the best...

thanks.

k

Fram PH16 should fit just fine as the diameter isn't the issue so much as the length. If memory serves a PH-8A won't clear the frame but the PH-16 fits perfect.

I hate to be critical but if you're buying an 89 Dakota, you should have a lot more concerns than the oil you're going to put into it.

Last edited:
the fram 3600(Motorcraft FL400s, Wix 51516,etc) is one size up..

while the 3614 is on the small side compared to others, it is by no means "tiny".
also widely used.
in my family alone it fits:
My old neon(now belongs to my buddies brother)
Dad's Riding mower(17HP Kohler engine)
Dad's Escape (2.0 Ecoboost)
the mustang(2.3 Ecoboost) my brother briefly had (bad drive line vibration)
brother in law's 09 Dodge caravan(his is the Flex Fuel 3.3l, but all 3 engines used that year took that size filter)
and my Sable and Mom's Taurus take the 3600, the next size up.

Last edited:
Let's assume he has that somewhat handled. Yes, I believe there is an oversize filter that will fit on it - not the biggest one, but the middle one. I did some work on a '99 with the 3.9 Magnum that came in with no power steering (had been that way for a while) and at best 1.5 qts. of oil in the sump. Filled it back up with Supertech 5w30, ST filter, and a quart of ATF, and let it sit and run (under supervision) for 20 mins. at close to 2 grand to try to wash some of the filth out of the engine. Refilled with Maxlife + Napa filter and close to a year later it's still going - saw him driving it today. The lifter tick on startup even quitened down by the time it left the shop.

Last edited:
I want to manually switch gears before I die....more power to you. That's not on my bucket list......

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kafka45
Ok.. I'm buying the grandsons 1989 Dodge Dakota LE pickup with a manual Trans. Which is good cause I really wanted to have a manual one last time before I DIE..... anyway, is there an oversize oil filter I can put on this 3.9L engine? It calls for a Bosch 3330 or Fram 3614 etc.. and these are TINY. I'll put Mobil 1 5/30 in it and hope for the best...

thanks.

k

Nice of you to buy him a truck, hopefully he appreciates it.

I'd look at the pep boys economy version of the PF 16, it might be 1/2 inch shorter than the industry average which could help it fit.

I had a 92 dakota with the magnum V6 and some fuel injection and it was fun to row through the gears.

this is correct i'm the buyer.. it has 106000 miles and has been taken care of actually, so... it is what it is....

preciate the responses and I apologize for putting this in the wrong forum initially.

My 94 S-10 SS that the wife of this grandson in law hit a TREE with... is finally starting to give out. (has a nice smushed front end that I've been driving for several years...

not as bad as it sounds...... been taken care of fairly well.. it IS brown though... which is sad.

Toyota 90915-yzzD1 or D3 for a longer version. Trasko if it were mine as I have an itch to try one. That should be different enough.

Originally Posted By: kafka45

thanks.

k
No,you aren't insane.I wouldn't mind a 88-91 Dakota manual myself.Shortbed,2wd...basic.Before OBDII,body control modules and troublesome cost cutting components.Seeing these as having a mix of K car and minivan interior bits is a plus for replacements.And I far prefer the boxy styling that a truck should have as opposed to the Mini-RAM/Kenworth styling that came later.Alas in New England the frames on these are all rusted out and as such the trucks are scrap at that point. Congrats!

ok.. I cross referenced the ph16 with Napa filters.. and I get seven choices.. NAPA 1084, 1085, 1307,1309,1362,1452,1614.
Now my ignorant questions is... which Napa Gold filter is the one I need? I hate sounding this uninformed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back