Dress Shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some cole haans 5 years ago that had nike air insoles and im over 300lbs and they lasted extremely well...guess it depends...

Originally Posted By: BrianF
When I was in the military I was issued officer dress shoes as well as the regular DEU dress boots. The shoes are Oxfords, Canadian made, excellent leather and the toe takes a wicked polish.

From what I recall you can get these for cheap at surplus stores. They are classy, quality built and look [censored] sharp.

I have been using them for almost 17 years and they keep softening up and just look good with a suit.

Laugh !!! When I enlisted in the army, they issued me with a set of black leather dress shoes for formal occasions (called "After Fives" and made by Baxter). Plus the usual 2 pairs of combat boots for real work and a set of parade boots (called "High-Shines").

Being a Sapper, I wore out quite a few pairs of combat boots (as we call them), did a few formal parades and marches in my parade boots, but never once used my black dress shoes in uniform. For some reason Generals don't invite Sappers (Combat Engineers) to their cocktail parties. Go figure.

Anyway those army after-fives look sharp as, and work great with a good suit. I wore them to a wedding just the other week. They have a classic, elegant and clean look that works with everything.

A good pair of surplus formal military shoes are worth looking at, half have probably never been worn or maybe only once or twice. Alternatively finding out what is issued, then buying the civy equivalent from the supplier is another option. Also, I'm sure you can find an on-line supplier that deals in formal military uniforms that will happily sell you a pair of shoes, and probably for less than a high end fashion retailer, while being better made too.

Thanks guys. I just find it amazing that shoes wear out in a year. I am on my feet most days and need something to last.

Now, this suggestion isn't so easy, but it's what I did. This was about 25 year ago, and it isn't any easier now. I had some dress shoes that were comfortable, but I wore the soles out like you did. I went to a cobbler and had them resoled. They're still serviceable to this day.

Last edited:
I'll second Allen Edmonds...I have some that I bought 25 years ago that are finally dying, but I figure I can't complain. I have about 15 pairs of dress shoes in rotation, and AE shoes are a great combination of comfort, appearance and durability. Truth be known, Alden shoes last longer, but they're over $500, they NEVER go on sale and I don't think they're as comfortable.

Funny thing is this: I'm 50, I figure some of the shoes and suits I'm buying now will likely become part of the yard sale when my widow clears out my stuff.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
For everyday wear, for example, with my airline uniform, or with jeans, I've had good luck with Timberland. They're a wide fit, durable, comfortable and often waterproof with good all weather soles. I wear them all the time.

I have the same problem with width as you do. It never used to be like that, buying shoes. Are people's feet getting obese, too, as a trend?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Now, this suggestion isn't so easy, but it's what I did. This was about 25 year ago, and it isn't any easier now. I had some dress shoes that were comfortable, but I wore the soles out like you did. I went to a cobbler and had them resoled. They're still serviceable to this day.

There is a still a cobbler in the city nearest to me, and he is well respected and affordable. I only went once myself, to see if he could fix up some hiking boots that were insanely comfortable but were also shedding the upper metal guides for laces...he was honest and told me there was no long lasting way to fix them.
There is a tailor right next door to the cobbler and I brought a leather jacket that I just loved there after I tore a panel behind the shoulder on my garage door. The guy fixed it with a new piece of black leather for $20 and I wore it for 5 more years, that panel looked a little odd but I didn't care. Finally gave it away when the leather on the bottom front of the jacket got too ratty looking, jacket was maybe $150 new and not the kind of leather that was going to look better with age ad infinitum.

I was lucky in that the rest of the shoes were serviceable. The soles were shot. I even replaced the shoes with a new pair, very similar, different brand. The new shoes got thrown in the garbage a few months later, and I still have the old, resoled ones.

I wear Cole Haan shoes with Nike Air cushion. They don't go flat and retain the cushion but you are right, within a year the soles are gone.

The new pair is about $400, resoling through Cole Haan will be around $80 to $100. So financially it makes sense, especially if it's a pair I like. If it's a pair that I don't like, it goes in the bin.

Alfred,
Its funny you mention Cole Haan. I have a pair with the Nike Air Cushion. Within about one year, the soles are gone.
To be honest, the air cushion part is flat as well.

Is this the norm I guess?

I used to have to wear a tie,slacks,dress shoes (thank goodness not a coat) for my sales job. I always wore Rockports. They're as comfortable as my Asics running shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back