BG Ultra Guard 75w90 gl5 gear oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/drive-line/bg-ultra-guard-full-synthetic-gear-lubricant/ has anyone ever used this brand gear oil or know its quality compared with other well know brands. I was thinking about using it in my Toyota Tacoma, based on the prices of the recommended 75w85 gl5 by Toyota I think im going to use a 75w90 instead that is readily available and at least 1/2 the cost of 75w85 oil, even tho the MPGs may suffer slightly? but have a bit better protection, the trucks a D. Driver and I don't tow, just light loads occasionally. Ive used BG DOT4 brake fluid in the truck and it seems to be a good product im assuming the same will go for the Gear oil.thanx if anyone has info on it.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90 is what I use.
yes, I have used Severe gear before, although its a great oil I am pinching pennies because of a work situation so im looking for something over the counter or I can get through the internet minus shipping fees and handling. I can get the BG stuff for $11.00 a quart and free shipping on EBAY. I MIGHT JUST USE mobil1 OR VALVOLINE Syn which I can get locally. I am trying to get info on the BG stuff ive found a few threads here on BITOG forum, nothing too in depth but positive usage and rec's about it and BG products in general.

Originally Posted By: jrvn
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90 is what I use.
yes, I have used Severe gear before, although its a great oil I am pinching pennies because of a work situation so im looking for something over the counter or I can get through the internet minus shipping fees and handling. I can get the BG stuff for $11.00 a quart and free shipping on EBAY. I MIGHT JUST USE mobil1 OR VALVOLINE Syn which I can get locally. I am trying to get info on the BG stuff ive found a few threads here on BITOG forum, nothing too in depth but positive usage and rec's about it and BG products in general.

If pinching pennies, go to Walmart and get the SuperTech 75W-90 semi-synthetic for $5 and change a quart. Your Tacaoma will do fine with it.

I recently had a transfer case change done by my local Toyota dealer on my 2015 Tacoma 4x4.
This is the fluid they used as they gave me the empty bottles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: burch2217
I recently had a transfer case change done by my local Toyota dealer on my 2015 Tacoma 4x4.
This is the fluid they used as they gave me the empty bottles.
I was thinking about using it in the rear differential, I know tacomas are spec'd for a 75w85 gl5, but it costs $17.00 per qt. Redline, I can get the BG 75w90 gl5 $11 per quart, if it works as well for the 30 OCIs why not. im looking for any feedback from people who have used the 75w90 in tacomas diffs as opposed the 75w85 also.thanx for the responses

Last edited:
I am using the previously mentioned SuperTech 75W-90 in both my FJ's differentials with no issue in over 50K+ miles of use. My FJ owners manual also called out the 75W-85 also.

The whole reason Toyota went to calling out a 75W-85 grade gear oil was to ensure a full synthetic was used. In previous years, they called out a 80W-90 but found out vehicles sold in the Canadian market were having high instances of differential issues due to the extreme winters there.

Using a 75W-90 in place of the Toyota 75W-85 call out is a non issue unless you expect to be in extreme negative temp cold environments.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
I am using the previously mentioned SuperTech 75W-90 in both my FJ's differentials with no issue in over 50K+ miles of use. My FJ owners manual also called out the 75W-85 also.

The whole reason Toyota went to calling out a 75W-85 grade gear oil was to ensure a full synthetic was used. In previous years, they called out a 80W-90 but found out vehicles sold in the Canadian market were having high instances of differential issues due to the extreme winters there.

Using a 75W-90 in place of the Toyota 75W-85 call out is a non issue unless you expect to be in extreme negative temp cold environments.
thanx for the response, I previously used the Supertech 75w90 in the transfer case and front diff but used Redline 75w85 in the rear diff, but the cost factor of the 75w85 is twice as much as a good 75w90 I can get locally. the 4 wheel drive I only use during winter months and seems like the supertech has done its job had no issues shifting or noises. A lot of owners seem to be using Valvoline syn or mobil1 in place of the rec'd 75w85 no issues Ive heard of. if anyone has had an issue using the 75w90, if someone has please respond im curious to know about it or any reasons not to use the 75w90 in place of the 75w85 other than maybe a slight MPG loss.

Last edited:
It's a non issue. Many if not most Toyota dealers do not even stock 75W-85 for normal servicing and use whatever bulk flavor 75W-90 they can get. My three closest Toyota dealerships parts counter has to special order it and most will tell you to just use 75W-90. Quite frankly all these HINO designed rear Toyota diffs would run fine 99% of the time using dino 80W-90 if temps are above freezing.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
It's a non issue. Many if not most Toyota dealers do not even stock 75W-85 for normal servicing and use whatever bulk flavor 75W-90 they can get. My three closest Toyota dealerships parts counter has to special order it and most will tell you to just use 75W-90. Quite frankly all these HINO designed rear Toyota diffs would run fine 99% of the time using dino 80W-90 if temps are above freezing.
thanx for the input, I can feel better using the 75w90 knowing others used it without any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back