Bosch filter won't fit/screw on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up four of these in March on clearance. Bosch 3332D for the GM 5.3L. $2.50, I believe, marked down from $11 or so at Wal Mart. They were a great deal, I thought, until I went to use one on my Suburban yesterday.

It wouldn't screw on. Got the idea the hole wasn't big enough. Spent 10 minutes trying to start it in different spots on the threads, at different angles, etc. Retried the Fram TG I'd had on there. It was fine, of course. I ended up using a NapaGold and it went on fine.

In almost 20 years of changing oil, I've never had a filter fail to fit the application it's supposed to. I'll reach out to the company and ask if they'll make it right. Clearance filter of not, it seems like they should fit. Had I paid $45 for 4 of these, I'd really be frustrated!

Happy Memorial Day weekend. Thanks to all who served. You all are awesome.

Check to see if the markings on the filter (not the box) match your application.

There have been reports of filter switches at Walmart in the past.

I saw those filters on clearance just the other day, but wasn't sure what part number I would need.

What year is your Suburban? The threads changed from SAE to metric somewhere in the mid-to-late oughts. If 3332 is the number you always use, I guess it must be a defective filter.

Well #%^@.

You're exactly right, Sayjac. This is on me. It looks like the 3332 fits on older 5.3s but not the 2008. So much for a quick iPhone look-up in the Wal Mart filter isle. That didn't work.

Carry on. Bosch is good.

Related: Anyone need three Bosch 3332D filters?
cool.gif

^^^ Actually a good thing it didn't screw on. Using the fram xref, the 3506 the 3332 equivalent, unlike the 3334, the 3332 has no filter bypass. As you note, many/most applications are 2006 and earlier GM. Perhaps why GM changed the thread pitch.

One thing about Purolator and it's Bosch cousins that I don't like (besides the tearing) is the complexity of their filter numbering system...When a filter has so many letters and numbers it makes it hard to remember what you need without looking it up...ie PL20195...why can't it just be PL-195?
The Bosch filters use very similar numbers which make it easy to confuse applications...ie ...3321,3322,3323...too close for my liking.

Originally Posted By: HawkeyeScott
Well #%^@.

You're exactly right, Sayjac. This is on me. It looks like the 3332 fits on older 5.3s but not the 2008. So much for a quick iPhone look-up in the Wal Mart filter isle. That didn't work.

Carry on. Bosch is good.

LOL, I feel for you. I actually bought two D3423 thinking they would fit my Scion, but they don't (I need a D3422). I agree, iPhone screen and Fram cross reference failed me. That was a waste of $10. I cut one of them open for the heck of it, the other is sitting on my shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back