I bought way too much oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the OP.
Now i dont feel so crazy.
I thought m1 0w20 ep would be discontinued with "invention" of m1 AP lineup. So i bought 16 5 quart jugs !!! Even crazier i have to return them to beloved walmart with receipts since my expy has taken a liking to 10w30.

I'll have 60 quarts of Synpower 5w30 from the Walmart deal.

Synthetic cheaper than cheap conventional is a no brainer. I'll buy it if it's a great deal and/ or hard to find. (My Castrol Edge HM 10w40 for example.) I'll only buy it on sale. $7+ a quart normally is a no.

The truck will like the Valvoline. Plus I'm keeping the OCI's short for a while.

I'd say the OP does have a stash problem. With longer vehicle recommended ocis combined with using synthetic oil, I try now not to stash too much oil or many filters.

I hope the people with the stash problem when they buy a new car, don't go to dealership and say "I am only interested in a car or truck that takes 5w-30 oil." ......lol

Time to start doing a few more charity oil changes here and there.

Maybe your church knows someone in need.

To the OP. Yes I think you went way overboard. I have about 6 jugs in my stash which will take 2 more years to use up based on my OCI.

Once I use up this stash current oil and filters, I'll buy less jugs when on sale. Usually WM up here has VWB on promo for $9.99 for a 4 liter jug.

BITOG'ers hoard oil that is on deep discount. You simply, needlessly puchased way too much oil.

If oil prices sky-rocket you'll look like a genius. If they stay roughly the same or lower (all the while likely improving in quality) you'll look quite mad.

I see a lot of filters, too. Instead of appropriately maintaining your car, there's a high risk of simply over-maintaining by changing things out too soon, further depreciating the VALUE of your stash.

I hate to be the one to bust your bubble, but you are no oil expert.
Its never a good idea to come on a forum and declare yourself an expert.
You just bought alot of oil that's all.
Anyway, welcome.

in the grand scheme of things it doesnt matter and is harmless so do as you like

but if somehow you are ashamed or feel guilty or need validation from internet strangers about; and you dont like feeling that way or you want to change, then that's a different personal to work through so you can lead a more happy life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: johnnylove
I've taken good care of my car but I know it got a lot of wear when I had conventional Castrol GTX 5w-20 that had 4,000 miles on it and was being started in -10 to -15 degrees Fahrenheit.

Conventional oil at 4,000 miles is still good oil. And using 5W-20 at -10 to -15 F is not that bad. 30 or 40 years ago 5W-20 was the usual winter weight oil, even at -30 and -40 F. (They usually used block heaters at those extreme temperatures however).

So 0W-20 would have been better, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I try to stay about 2 oil changes ahead.

I currently have enough oil (4 liters) for one change on the Honda, two 1 liter bottles of 0W-30, and a couple of liters of 5W-30 for the mower.

I do have a few oil filters for the Honda however (bought at a good price in the US while on vacation).

02.gif

Jeeze and I thought I stocked up a lot on oil. It's a good thing you're not this way about cats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back