New Jeep Renegade Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.jeep.com/renegade.html

We got anybody on these forums with one of these Jeep Renegades?

I never considered myself a Jeep kinda guy,but these IMO are neat looking,a vehicle with personality,if you will.

Anybody got one and any issues or problems?

I'd be sure to do my homework on the 9 speed ZF transmission in it. There were lots of problems with it, I'd want to be certain they were sorted out before buying one. My wife liked them back in 2016 when we were car shopping. I told her about the problems and she changed her mind real fast.

Yup,I've read alot of the transmission hunting around for gears in user groups on Facebook.

Another issue I've been hearing about is high oil consumption on the 2.4 engines.

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
Yup,I've read alot of the transmission hunting around for gears in user groups on Facebook.

Another issue I've been hearing about is high oil consumption on the 2.4 engines.

I didn't hear about the oil consumption issues, but to be honest once I talked my wife out of even thinking about buying one I lost all interest. From what I read the 9 speed ZF is a real dog, and hunting around for gears is only one issue with it, there's more. OTOH the 8 speed is great. Honestly I'd stay clear of the Renegade!

One of the worst cars I've ever rented. An atrocious driving experience wrapped up in cheap plastic.

I think these have the poor "Jeep reliability" this whole forum talks about..

If I wanted something that kept my weekends busy I'd certainly buy one.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Judged on appearance and presence alone, there is plenty to like about the Jeep Renegade...

You simply copied-and-pasted your entire post directly from a Consumer Reports article.

Copying someone else's text without attributing it is called "plagiarism". In addition, it looks to me like what you posted was CR's "for pay" information.

Link to the "not for pay" CR article here:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/08/jeep-renegade-review/index.htm

I have a brand new Renegade at the body shop right now that was rear ended and I have the Jeep cut apart right now. Not to get into details but this think is a piece of Fiat junk.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I like 'em. They would be the perfect size for off roading.

Yeah, the size is about right.

But so is a 2nd generation 4 Runner. And even at 26 years old with 280,000 miles, my 4 Runner was a better driving truck and very capable off road. That's what disappointed me about the Jeep as a rental: the brand new Jeep was worse than my ancient truck and it was a horrible interior of rattling cheap plastic with poor visibility outside.

That won't get better with age...

Poor visibility is an issue with lots of new vehicles...I miss the big windows, narrow pillars, and upright seating position of 80s era BMW cars...had a couple of E28 bodied cars that had amazing visibility. I also miss the days of buying a relatively nice 528e for $500-750 and driving it for a year then selling it for $500-750. That hasn't worked for about a decade.

I have seen very few of the new Renegades in the wild, and only a few of the Fiat 500x version. They do look SMALL. Nothing FCA builds is even on my radar.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I like 'em. They would be the perfect size for off roading.

I like them too, but not with the ZF 9 speed in it.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

27.gif

Seems like way too many gears for their vehicles that have less than 250hp. Seem like a good ole 6 auto or maybe a 7 speed dual clutch would be more efficient.

I'll tell you what,there's not much to like about the compact SUV's on the market,I've looked.

I also like the new Compass Trailhawks
smile.gif

It's not fun vehicle shopping these days..

Makes you wonder how long Fiat can trade on the Jeep image.

Some people down the road bought a new Subaru Forester to replace their Compass. The Subaru dealer gave him $100 to take the Compass somewhere else and not ask to trade it in. He told them it would cost him more than that to get rid of it. Evidently the Compass has been one problem after another and they really like their new Subaru It goes everywhere the Compass did with a lot more grace. There was not a lot of love for the Compass in that family.

It's really too bad. I thought the Compass was a nice size SUV and with the Jeep name should have been a mountain goat with it's small size.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Makes you wonder how long Fiat can trade on the Jeep image.

Some people down the road bought a new Subaru Forester to replace their Compass. The Subaru dealer gave him $100 to take the Compass somewhere else and not ask to trade it in. He told them it would cost him more than that to get rid of it. Evidently the Compass has been one problem after another and they really like their new Subaru It goes everywhere the Compass did with a lot more grace. There was not a lot of love for the Compass in that family.

It's really too bad. I thought the Compass was a nice size SUV and with the Jeep name should have been a mountain goat with it's small size.

yes kind of like my co-workers 14 crosstek on its 2nd engine, sucking a 1 qt of oil every 400 miles or cousins 2010 outback that blew head gaskets at 70K and had the Outback cancer above the atrocious cladding at the rear wheel well.

I think the other poster was referring to the new redeisgned compass, not the old Dumbler Benz atrocity the DB cost cutting under Shcremp foisted on Jeep.

Originally Posted By: DaRider34

27.gif

Seems like way too many gears for their vehicles that have less than 250hp. Seem like a good ole 6 auto or maybe a 7 speed dual clutch would be more efficient.

I think so, maybe a nice 5 or 6 speed AT. You need a lot of torque in the low rpm range to run all those gears w/o constant up and downshifting, hunting, skipping gears etc.

I found this interesting bit of footage. I think there is a small bump in their track helping get the back end up but still.
Find an old secretary owned Tracker, then you've got a real 2 speed transfer case, and it sounds like the same ride and build quality for a tenth the price.

Originally Posted By: DaRider34

27.gif

I think so, maybe a nice 5 or 6 speed AT. You need a lot of torque in the low rpm range to run all those gears w/o constant up and downshifting, hunting, skipping gears etc.

I'll disagree. "lots" of gears means it can idle going down hills and rev to the moon off the line; and hit any rpm at any speed between. It's the high power motors which can better tolerate less gears.

Yeah it's annoying to hear something constantly shifting. That's why you always get the bigger motor.
wink.gif
Or take a page from those manual transmission Luddites and... lock out some of the upper gears.

IIRC the ZF units can skip shifts--go from 9th down to 2nd, if need be. I wonder how many of the 6+ speed transmissions also can do likewise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back