Munmorah Power Station Chimney's dropped today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Down in London for an anti-nuke demo, I was lucky enough to do a Battersea Power Station tour in maybe its last week or two of (very low level) generation. Very Art Deco, looked like a film set for Metropolis, and was used as a set for the film 1984 not long after.

The engineer doing the tour seemed a bit bitter. Nothing was said, but I got the impression when it was finally scrapped he would be too.

Snuck into the site much later but, though still impressive as an empty shell, it wasn't the same. The excellent greasy spoon cafe by the gates sadly closed when the station did.

The later picture of Meremere Power Station in New Zealand is a good example of them possibly doing what they say they are going to do - turn these sites back into something not industrial. You can't see the ugly power station, or the equaly ugly overhead coal conveyer going back to the big scar of the open cast mine...a tourist going through there wouldn't know what I had seen on that road most of my life. We have a lake in town that was an old mine, it is now a park with lots of trees, walkways and bike tracks, the lake used for water sports and an underwater diving school. Another mine that is just closing will get the samme treatment. I am seeing their utes for the last time, they are coming in for servicing with logos removed, going to auction. I'll get some pictures of these sites and post in due course.

https://www.bcd-urbex.com/battersea-power-station/

Dig that "Synchroscope" in the control room. Straight out of "Metropolis"

battersea-power-station-switch-room-b-3.jpg

IIRC there was a bigger man-sized-dial one in one in the older control room (there are two) but theres no picture of that. There's this

battersea-power-station-control-room-a-13.jpg

but that's not what I remember. Maybe its gone or I'm remembering wrong.

Last I heard the site had been bought by a Malaysian property development group and the buildings future was uncertain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back