Beloved Highlander sold, Tundra hunting....

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Highlander was perfect for the 65k and 4 years I owned, moving on to a used Tundra 4x4 for light part time duty here at the camp..I'd like to keep it below $15k so in the 2006 generation would be fine...advice welcomed as I know little about them...

I'm waiting for a post as follows-

You took the initial deprecation and now someones going to get a bargain. It's a shame you couldn't put a trailer hitch on it and use a utility trailer instead of getting rid of a perfectly fine car hat will go another 200,000 miles.

There now you won't see that post......

Last edited:
well I bought Highlander used..and got a good price for it yesterday..a 4x4 pick-up will be better for camp as I do the 500mi. weekly commute with the Civic nowadays..I'd consider any brand if there were any outstanding generations back 2000-2010 Ford, Chevy, Dodge..I'll be putting very few miles so a big fuel pig wouldn't be a problem either.

Unfortunately Toyotas hold their resale value and you're going to have a hard time finding one in that price range unless it has some very high mileage on it. Avoid the 5.7 if you can, especially the ones with flex fuel. In 2010 they went from the 4.7 to the 4.6 which has a steel timing chain. It's a good engine and I've not seen or heard of many problems with it. There have been some problems with cam tower leaks on the 5.7 but they are far and few between.

If you know little about them why does it have to be a tundra?

What about a similar year 2006 GMC work truck with the 4.3 V6, short wheelbase, short cab, 4x4?

Yes, most are 5.7's but I'm telling you the experience others have had with with the 5.7's from what I've read on the Tundra forums. You can find a used 4.6 if you look. It's hard to find any bad press on the 4.6. You'll find a little on the 5.7 especially the flex fuel.

2006 would be the 4.7, which is known to be thirsty and is a timing belt motor. But otherwise a very good motor. Given how Toyota's rust I would not buy one locally; that will be the big issue.

2007 brought the new generation, which brought the 5.7. I'd avoid flex fuel 5.7's but otherwise... I'd rather have the 5.7 over either of the 4.7 or the 4.6. For pure highway driving it probably does not matter, but the 5.7 is just more motor. My 4.6 seems a bit over-whelmed in pedestrian usage; it's up to the task but it has to spin to get up practically any hill.

The 4.6 and 5.7's got the six speed automatic which bumped the mpg nicely. 4.7 was 4 or 5 speed depending upon the year, as were the V6's. If you're just doing some highway then some off roads a V6 would work too.

I'm partial to Toyota's but I'd be open to a decent GM offering. Cheaper parts, more common, usually less to purchase. Buy out of the rust belt. But it and the Toyota can rust like mad.

Last edited:
The Tundra is older technology, DOHC V-8. Port FI.

But that's why I bought it: simple = reliable

All of the trucks that get better MPG do so through various technologies, MDS, turbos, "flaps" on the radiator, that have the potential to break or cause problems. I get relatively low MPG. 14 HWY on E85. 17-18 HWY on gasoline.

But I don't care. I really don't.

I wanted a reliable truck. I was replacing a much-loved 1990 Toyota 4-Runner that had gone nearly 280,000 miles (and is still on the road). And I wanted that crew max configuration to balance passenger comfort for road trips. I put 3,000 miles on it in the first 9 months I owned it. I put nearly 5,000 miles on it in the past month - drove back from Colorado, hauled dirt from Lowe's, gone out to dinner, moved furniture, ran up to D.C. and bought furniture, and twice drove to New York.

It's been great.

I love the truck. It's been used exactly as intended: road trips, hauling big and/or dirty things, taking several people places in comfort.

The 5.7 loves to rev, makes great power and sounds great doing it. I like the flex fuel option (I don't save $$ with the alternative fuel, but the octane boost provides noticeable performance increases). The six speed shifts smoothly and drops the RPM on the highway for comfortable cruising. The big brakes have good feel and are smooth and powerful. The interior is just plain nice. Comfortable, well put together, tons of room and lots of nice features.

The F-150 was an impressive truck. So was the Silverado. And I really liked the Ram.

The Tundra was a decision predicated on reliability and a love of the 1794 Interior.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dblshock
what does 1794 mean?

Trim level. Tundra's top of the line. Western style. Brown stitched leather, cooled and heated seats. Sun roof. JBL sound system. Navigation with weather map overlay.

It's nice...

Wow that's a pretty interior and a nice change from the tan/light gray/black options most vehicles offer. VW has a Marrakech brown leatherette in one of the little station wagons that is a great color too, not that it's relevant to a truck discussion
eek.gif

So you're looking for us to validate your emotional decision? Go for it if that makes you happy; life's short.

Originally Posted By: TheBus36
Unfortunately Toyotas hold their resale value and you're going to have a hard time finding one in that price range unless it has some very high mileage on it.

This

Here's the Highlander replacement...2006 4Runner 4.0 tow pkg. locking diffs, sunroof, oil cooler, nice bridgestone tires trans cooler, 1 owner 127k $9,250.00 the new upgraded camp truck.

I'll use this maybe 3k a year on cabin duty, dunk the boat a block away, get back in the forest on old logging trail and run back to the city 240mi. in icy foul weather that's too much for the Civic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back