I bought way too much oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of weird but I formed an obsession with oil for a bit, I wanted to test all kinds of oils. I live in Iowa so winters here are very frigid.

From my experience with cold Iowa winters I will only run Mobil 1 0w-20 formulations in my Honda Civic.

However, after calculating the amount of oil I have and if I am to follow the typical OCI on the synthetics... I'll never get through all of this
frown.gif

Just sharing one of my dark secrets, I haven't bought any new oil for a while btw. Thing is, I've got about $700 of oil here. Far less than the cost of an automobile and my engine is guaranteed to stay clean.

Around 165k I started reading up on oil and formed an obsession about it, I consider myself an expert.

With that said I expect some attacks, either out of me being stupid or some of you just having oil envy
smile.gif
lol

Wh8Bf2j.jpg

OJ8tChQ.jpg

EGmsugf.jpg

cAO9gZL.jpg

8F41q52.jpg

I've browsed this form as a lurker for a while, thought it would be fun to contribute.

Also, my plan was after running out of oil I would already have an electric car by then...

wow.. you are a true BITOG member! You definitely fit in with the rest of us!
01.gif

and those spark plugs, they look familiar, are you driving a civic?

EDIT: duh you mentioned civic.. but I was thinking 96-2000 model year
smile.gif
just looked familiar

Last edited:
Unbelievable........
confused.gif

Only 10% of active members hoard oil BTW.

Last edited:
I just realized I have about 100 quarts of oil and I am still watching sales...I have a lot of 0w20 and 5w40, not sure if I am in the thin or thick camp yet!

I did the same, but Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck, back when it was on sale for $12.99 per gallon at Autozone. I got hundreds of gallons stashed all over the house, garage, shop, etc.

Slowly using it, one gallon at a time in my TDI (every 10,000 miles), 12 gallons at a time in my Caterpillar RV (every 25,000 miles)

oil.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car54
I did the same, but Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck, back when it was on sale for $12.99 per gallon at Autozone. I got hundreds of gallons stashed all over the house, garage, shop, etc.

Slowly using it, one gallon at a time in my TDI (every 10,000 miles), 12 gallons at a time in my Caterpillar RV (every 25,000 miles)

smirk.gif
I've been beat! lol

The nice thing is from what I read, Mobil 1 lasts years and years. I am well aware of the 5 year expiration they mention and I'm not sure how some of the newer more advanced additives hold up, but I'm pretty sure you are good as well as I am.

The only thing I try to do is use any opened bottles first.

Granted chemistry in the oils are always being tweaked but I'm fairly confident all my oil is good. Plus when folks and family visit I can offer to do an oil change
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing.

Blackstone Labs does an interesting newsletter and a few years ago one of their employees bought a bunch of antique oils off ebay and analyzed them. He then ran them in his pickup. 50+ year old oil ran just fine. so I will never worry about this shelf life B-S (which they have to do, as certain industries require expiration dates) but I will run oil no matter how old it is, and have never had an issue.

Originally Posted By: researcher
wow.. you are a true BITOG member! You definitely fit in with the rest of us!
01.gif

and those spark plugs, they look familiar, are you driving a civic?

EDIT: duh you mentioned civic.. but I was thinking 96-2000 model year
smile.gif
just looked familiar

Yes, 2004 Honda Civic. I plan on getting a new model or even an Accord, Oil filters still fit just not the air filters.

Oil is something that truly makes the difference in the longevity of a vehicle.

I'm glad I finally posted. Some of the threads on here are actually pretty funny. This site is known for having a strong personality
smile.gif

Blackstone Labs does an interesting newsletter and a few years ago one of their employees bought a bunch of antique oils off ebay and analyzed them. He then ran them in his pickup. 50+ year old oil ran just fine. so I will never worry about this shelf life B-S (which they have to do, as certain industries require expiration dates) but I will run oil no matter how old it is, and have never had an issue.

Yeah, that's good to hear. I'll be running full length OCI now. I went through about 4 cycles of changing the oil every 300-500 miles to clean the engine out. It is clean now.

I've taken good care of my car but I know it got a lot of wear when I had conventional Castrol GTX 5w-20 that had 4,000 miles on it and was being started in -10 to -15 degrees Fahrenheit. Conventional (and a lot of oil) is like thick wax or taffy at that temp and it's just bare metal. The card barely turned over. It was something I wasn't even aware of at the time.

I now know how well Mobil 1 0w-20 works at those temps and it starts just like it does on a 100 degree Fahrenheit day.

Last edited:
welcome2.gif

I have a lot of oil too! Don't feel bad. If you want you can try to sell some on craigslist or other apps. I've had some success with that. I know that I will eventually use it all so I'm not worried. Just not buying anymore anytime soon. As for the air filters, I'm pretty sure you can go walmart and exchange them for your new accords size as long as their the same/similar price.
smile.gif

oil.jpg

I have like 10 gallons of this, havent used it yet but I will be mixing it with 0w20 for my minivan and truck. Got it for 15 at walmart

I have a huge stash of about 5 quarts of oil. That is probably too much since none of my vehicles use any oil between changes. I buy when ready to change the oil. Always get fresh oil with the latest formulations. Buying on sale is a great idea but buying more than you can ever use ties up money that could be used for important things like beer and pizza.

That size stash is a joke. Can't honestly believe in hoarding more than a few jugs. By the time you use all that oil up, something better will come out and you will likely be creating a thread asking if your old oil is still good to use. Might want to consider getting professional help with your hoarding disorder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back