Alternatives to CK-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this CK-4 mumbo jumbo is getting me concerned. Today I realized I use better oil in my mowers than I do in my truck. Anyways, I've been using Delo400 since day one on my truck. This last fill I put CK-4 in because they already switched over by the time I needed to change.

Anyways, are there alternatives? It seems like buying oil at walmart for $12.87/gallon was the cheapest. Even buying 5 gallon pales it still calculated out to being like $17/gallon.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why I got SAE 30 and SM DELO 15w40. Wal Mart and stores don't have everything. I use trade papers and ads; amazing what's out there if you're willing to deal

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Non-SN CK4 is not affected by the hysteria about phos cuts.

Well supposedly the new delo is the also SN just like the CJ-4 was also SM rated.

Ditto.

To put it even simpler:

- If the HDEO is ONLY rated as CK-4 (and there are NO SN/SM/SL ratings) then the Zinc/Phosphorous levels are identical to CJ-4.
- If the HDEO has CK-4 AND SN ratings, then it will have lower Z/P ratings.

So just look for oils that don't have any SN ratings on them and you're getting the same stuff as back in the CJ-4 days.

I haven't seen an only CK-4 oil all the oils I looked at when I was at walmart said CK-/SN This was delvac, rotella and delo.

Our Walmart made a shipment error and ordered an insane amount of Castrol diesel. They had probably 100 1 gallon jugs and had them all marketed down to $9 each.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I haven't seen an only CK-4 oil all the oils I looked at when I was at walmart said CK-/SN This was delvac, rotella and delo.

I recently bought the T4 15W40 and it was ONLY rated CK-4.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

Ditto.

To put it even simpler:

- If the HDEO is ONLY rated as CK-4 (and there are NO SN/SM/SL ratings) then the Zinc/Phosphorous levels are identical to CJ-4.

So just look for oils that don't have any SN ratings on them and you're getting the same stuff as back in the CJ-4 days.

This.
And Ford WSS-M2C171-F1 spec has a P of 1000ish ppm..... which is really a CK4 w/o SN rating.

Petro-Canada was kind enough to leave their Duron 5W30 unchanged as CJ-4.
A 20L pail of that and a 20L pail of Duron SAE 50 and you are in business.
With an online calculator, you can mix.... I mean blend a mid-saps from 5W30 to SAE 50.
As long as your blend doesn't cause an engine blow up or to squeak to a stop.... it meets the BITOG gold standard of achievement.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

That's only required if it's a 10w-30 or 5w-30 or 0w-30 dual rated HDEO. The other grades are exempted, but, of course, a formulator can do what he sees fit, and a 15w-40 or 5w-40 could have lower P.

Of course, we went through this all before with the CJ-4 roll out. Then, it was Kubota that had weird manual wording and confusion. Now, it's Ford.

I'm sure there are plenty of CK-4 and CK-4/SN lubes with the Cummins approval.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Our Walmart made a shipment error and ordered an insane amount of Castrol diesel. They had probably 100 1 gallon jugs and had them all marketed down to $9 each.

I wonder why they would do that. Is their working capital that small? It's not like they wouldn't sell it eventually. My walmart is always out of diesel oil, or at least very low

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: 3800Series

I wonder why they would do that. Is their working capital that small? It's not like they wouldn't sell it eventually. My walmart is always out of diesel oil, or at least very low

Its a fairly large town so they do move product but they had a huge amount of it out. They staked it up in front of the lube center and even put up 2 new shelf's with it and a couple of end caps of it in the oil section.

For all I know they could have far more then that in the back tho. I asked them why they had so much and they told me it was a shipment error. It was all the same exact oil tho 15w40.

You'all know that Chevron is touting 50% less wear with their new oils... If they have to pull Phos and Zinc, they make up with other chemistry. It just costs more ... Fleet operators like UPS could sue their refiners if they started having engine issues with the new oils. They run diesel, gas, and propane trucks in some areas. I don't see Chevron messing with these guys ...

Maybe Ford has an issue ... Like GM did with their small block cams years ago. It was not the oil. It was improper hardening and surface treatment.

I'm having a hard time with the hysteria ...
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Maybe Ford has an issue ... Like GM did with their small block cams years ago. It was not the oil. It was improper hardening and surface treatment.

I would agree. With those small blocks, you could run whatever oil you wanted, and it didn't help. Replacement cams always seemed to last longer than the factory ones, for whatever reason, and the taxis ran enough miles to show that a few times.

Ford has something going on that no other OEM is concerned about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back