Back in the day, what was your dad's go to oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was small , Dad bought Propane / butane for the John Deer and heating the house , from the Gulf distributor . He also bought most of the oil & grease from them , also .

He ran one of the Gulf 20 in the car and tractou , year around .

God bless
Wyr

Originally Posted By: whitearrow
wow, this is one of the things i remember distinctly about my dad. he used quaker state in 10w-40 and i remember the old cans that you had to use the metal funnel that actually pierced the can and was used to pour from. i also remember he always changed his oil at 4k intervals and got 212,000 out of a 1986 chevrolet chevette that had a whopping 60hp. he drove the whole state of mississippi everyday going to all the public schools to see what textbooks they needed. i also remember him pulling a small 4x8'ish trailer behind it as he also delivered the textbooks to the schools. he always bought cheap cars due to the reasoning that he put a ton o miles on them per year.

Fantastic story. I grew up in Mississippi, too, and about the same time. I miss those days. Are you Choctaw? I'm part Cherokee.

My Father & Grandfather were both Pennzoil fans. I have tried pretty much everything out there besides Red Line & Amsoil. I would lean on buying Pennzoil products over anything else after years & years of driving & oil changes.

Quaker State Deluxe 10w-30 No issues at all. Opened the engine up on my 327 ci engine and it was nice and clean inside at 77k miles.

Dad ran Castrol GTX 20W-50 in his '82 and '86 Toyota pickups. He also used some Havoline as that's what the shop he worked at used. My grandfather used a lot Havoline. Dad was also pretty fond of Castrol Syntec 10W-30.

Now dads not picky.

Dad was a fan of Castrol. There were usually a few bottles around to top off the crankcase in the Jaguar XJ6 mom was driving. There was also usually a case of Aeroshell oil, since he's a pilot and that's what he prefers to run in the plane.

These days he's using a local mechanic and not doing much DIY- not sure what's going into the car.

All his big Ford sedans from the Galaxy 500's to the later LTD Brougham's ran Castrol 10W40 in winter and 20W50 summer. I think in the '80's he switched to the "thin" 10W30's with the Oldsmobile Cutlasses. Never any engine problems as I can recall.

My dad swore by Pennzoil until he claimed that it seized up the engine in his 65 dodge pickup in 1978. Ever since then he will only use castrol 10w30. He also views synthetic oil like its the worst thing he could do for his truck now lol

My father was never one to be brand loyal to one brand - still isn't. While I do see a lot of people mentioning either that their fathers were brand loyal to one, or chose whatever was the cheapest, I think my dad didn't (and doesn't) fit into either category. He's a bit like me in that he sometimes will have a flavor of the year thing, or when he's not in the caring mood will just buy whatever fits his needs. By that I mean, sometimes he will go out of his way to buy something specific, but other times if he's at a store getting something else and remembers, "oh I need such and such, I'll just grab this." Basically, he's used a little bit of everything over the years, except niche stuff like Redline and Amsoil.

What I explained is basically what he told me: I don't remember, but I've used most of the brand names at least once, and sometimes generic if I was low on cash. So, Havoline, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol, Quaker State, Peak, and Supertech... etc.

One thing he has been consistent on, though, is going by the books. Many of us BITOGers don't always use the exact grade of oil that their car/truck manual specified. He pretty much always has done so. If it says 10w-30, he uses it. If it says 5w-20, he uses it. He's never questioned "is that too thick?" or "is that too thin?" He trusts the manufacturer to know what their vehicle's engine needs, and follows their instructions.

However, ever since I delved into the oil scene here on BITOG and learned about stuff, I've taught him about the differences in grades/weights, and also about aftermarket products (like oil filters). He probably never would have come to use High Mileage oils had I not told him it would benefit him since his vehicle have been pretty high in mileage and probably burn more than he may have realized.

Click to reveal..

My dad used Quaker State 30 Weight (paper can) in our Toro lawn mowers. I remember he would take the pointy end of a metal file and punch a hole or 2 into the top to pour into the mower. He was not much of a mechanic but an above average handy man and a great father. He died 9 years ago tomorrow, he taught me a a lot about how to be a man and a gentleman, I sure do miss him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back