2000 Grand Marquis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in a quandary. My inlaws have a car that they bought new and they want me to sell it for them.

I took the car and checked it out. It's an average mileage 17 year old one owner car and it's been garaged since new. The only problem that I have found with the car is that the front passenger window doesn't work.

I sat on the car for about a week and ended up giving the inlaws $1500 for it. I just had this feeling that if I let a perfectly good car go that I would regret it.

But now a few more weeks have passed and I don't need a 4th car in addition to all the motorcycles in the garage so I really should sell this car.

KBB says that $1500 is about right as far as valuation. My gut says that this clean rust free Florida car should bring a bit more.

So you guys always seem to be able to come up with stuff that I had not thought of so here are what I see as my options...
- Post on CL here in Florida (already done)
- Keep the car as a backup family car
- Drive the car to Vermont this summer to sell there since I will be there anyway

Here are a few pics...
2017-05-25%2021.02.32-L.jpg

2017-05-25%2021.02.02-L.jpg

2017-05-25%2020.59.14-L.jpg

2017-05-25%2020.59.07-L.jpg

2017-05-25%2020.59.52-L.jpg

2017-05-25%2020.59.20-L.jpg

2017-05-25%2020.59.31-L.jpg

2017-05-25%2021.00.04-L.jpg

2017-05-25%2021.03.49-L.jpg

What do you guys think that I should do with this car?
21.gif

Great hiway cruiser, take it north and if still not for you sell it and fly back to fla. on hiway should get about 25-26 mpg,good for riding on a couch.

Aside from the 1/2 vinyl top & wheel lip mouldings I like it. I assume the top and dealer-installed leather kit were some sort of local-market upgrade?

I'd keep it as a back-up car, not worth enough to justify going through the headaches of trying to sell it.

A non rust belt car is worth more in the rust belt.

Drive it up here, and someone like me would appreciate it and give it a good home.

Originally Posted By: copcarguy
A non rust belt car is worth more in the rust belt.

Drive it up here, and someone like me would appreciate it and give it a good home.

That's what I thought too. Someone really needs this car.

Other than somewhat high mileage, that's a good looking car for what you paid. Put an aftermarket power window regulator on it (guessing that's the likely culprit), that's a $2500-$3K car in that condition. They are capable of 25 MPG highway, mine gets that at reasonable speeds (70 or less).

I would have to add another vote for selling it further north, if possible. The lack of rust is incredible.

Originally Posted By: fsdork
I would have to add another vote for selling it further north, if possible. The lack of rust is incredible.

+ 100 That would be a great car up North
smile.gif

The underside of that car is cleaner than my 2002 with 74K miles. And I drive mine very sparingly in the winter. Not sure I agree that's $3K car with 214K miles but it's worth more than $1500 in the north.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Other than somewhat high mileage, that's a good looking car for what you paid. Put an aftermarket power window regulator on it (guessing that's the likely culprit), that's a $2500-$3K car in that condition. They are capable of 25 MPG highway, mine gets that at reasonable speeds (70 or less).

I have replaced a window regulator in a 99. It takes a couple of hours. There is a videos on 1aa auto's website.

Six months ago I sold my 2005 Crown Vic LX with 310K miles for 2500 bucks..Everything worked perfectly and a/c was ice cold. Interior was like new except for the driver seat which was worn but no tears in the leather. Body was very good. I was asking 1500 for it but 2 guys came over at the same time and wanted it in the worst way so one offered 2500.

I had all the service records which really helped the sale. It was serviced every 5K with 5w20 Mobil 1 with a Motorcraft oil filter. Used no oil between changes. It had mostly highway miles.

You should get at least 2K bucks for it IMHO. Hopefully you have some service records.

Gotta love the 4.6 V8

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

I have replaced a window regulator in a 99. It takes a couple of hours. There is a videos on 1aa auto's website.

Now that I'm not on my tablet, easier to paste the link:

Thanks for the replies fellas.
thumbsup2.gif

I have had a couple of inquiries from the CL ad so hopefully this will work itself out.

I honestly didn't think the mileage was that high until I saw the odometer.
I suppose the cracks in the leather should have been an indicator.

Regardless, it's a very nice can that would sell.

I betcha some livery driver by me would pay well more than $1,500 for that car. To livery drivers, that mileage is just past the break in point with many of those drivers having well over 300K on their odometers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back