RIP Gregg Allman

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard this today on NPR while out driving on our weekend errands.
What's your favorite Allman Brothers track?
I'm torn between "Whipping Post" and "Midnight Rider".

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I heard this today on NPR while out driving on our weekend errands.
What's your favorite Allman Brothers track?
I'm torn between "Whipping Post" and "Midnight Rider".

Too many good ones to pick an all time favorite. A few of mine are:

Whipping Post
Dreams I'll Never See
Southbound
Revival
Jessica
In Memory of Elizabeth Reed

There were a lot of great songs from the Allmans. If I had to pick my ultimate favorite it would be Blue Sky.

So much great music from the band in the late 60's and early 70's. This means we too are getting old. My fave: In Memory of Elizabeth Reed. My fave by Duane was the guitar solo on Loan Me a Dime on the Boz Scaggs album. Searing guitar!

Come On In My Kitchen
Dreams I'll Never See
Southbound
Revival
Jessica

RIP brother
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
"Whipping Post" for me. Brings back a lot of good memories.

Good memories?
Really?
Did you let that mean woman make you a fool?
Did she take all your money and wreck your new car?
J/K; I know what you mean.

Hopefully, Gregg is singing "I Am An Angel!" somewhere right now.
He lived one heck of a life, and had a voice that could somehow be soulful and tough at the same time.
"Blue Sky" is probably my favorite Allman Brothers song, "Midnight Rider" would be my favorite of Gregg's.
Also like "I'm No Angel" (solo) very much despite the arrangement being a bit too pop-flavored for my tastes.

The allman brothers hold a special place in the hearts of the folks here in muscle shoals. Great guitar players and musicians that contributed to the success of the local music industry.

Lots of sadness in my household right now with the loss of so many favorites. But Gregg's loss really hit home.
frown.gif

Both my wife and I really, really enjoy music. My wife saw them in concert when Duane was still alive and apparently it was quite a concert! By accident while calling a radio station, she talked to Butch Trucks a couple of years ago. As he was there and answered the phone! The two of them recalled the concert and could not stop chatting about it! Kind of funny to hear the conversation from my end.

This is really hard to take. Been listening to these guy's since the early 70's. I don't think there would have been a southern rock genre if it were not for these guys. Gregg is with Duane now, he missed him dearly.

Last edited:
I just learned of this... R.I.P.!!!

Too many really good songs to list them all, but a few stick out (in no particular order)

One Way Out
Don't Keep Me Wondering
You Don't Love Me- a really awesome jam on the Fillmore East album

There is a documentary that about 2 or 2.5 hours long on the AXS cable channel titled something like "Allman brothers - after the crash" That chronicles the band to some degree before Duane's crash but mostly after. If you are a fan of southern blues/rock, check it out.

There is also one on Skynard that is very good also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back