Dress Shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy question for an oil forum, but does anyone have experience with dress shoes? I am looking for the most comfortable shoe to wear. I do not mind paying more for quality. I have a set of Cole Haan's that I spent $100 for and after one year the sole is flat and starting to hurt my heels.

Thanks in advance

Seeing as I am in Canada but perhaps you can find similar. When I was in the military I was issued officer dress shoes as well as the regular DEU dress boots. The shoes are Oxfords, Canadian made, excellent leather and the toe takes a wicked polish. Mine are the older models with leather outer sole.

From what I recall you can get these for cheap at surplus stores. They are classy, quality built and look [censored] sharp.

I have been using them for almost 17 years and they keep softening up and just look good with a suit.

Wright makes good shoes some of which feature a small stiffener of metal deep in the construction of the sole. IIRC it's called the "Arch Preserver".
Absolutely, 100% dress shoes.
The Allen Edmunds (sp?) line is quality. They're available at Nordstrom's and other places. Nordstrom's has a HUGE sale after Father's Day.

There are other good makes. The trouble is there are good looking shoes made less well and you can't tell when they're new and shiny on the shelf.

If you want them to last a long time get cordovan shoes. Cordovan is horse hide and wears like iron. Complete top end shoes.
Of course $400-$750 for a pair of shoes might be a tad dear. And of course if someone steps on them whilst dancing at a wedding...you'll have to strangle 'em.

Originally Posted By: GGorman04
Crazy question for an oil forum, but does anyone have experience with dress shoes? I am looking for the most comfortable shoe to wear. I do not mind paying more for quality. I have a set of Cole Haan's that I spent $100 for and after one year the sole is flat and starting to hurt my heels.

Thanks in advance

It's an excellent question actually...

Doc Martins. Bought a pair of their plain black leather oxfords in Ireland a few years ago. Wore them daily with my uniform for 3+ years. Leather takes a great shine, the rubber "air sole" is comfy enough for 12+ hour days on your feet and also barely wore with daily use on concrete, steel, and asphalt. Oil, chemical, and slip resistant.

All you need to shop is Allen Edmunds factory seconds at shoebank.com.

US made and typically sell for $400-500 but got for $150-250.

To order you have to call the store listed for the show you like and they will ship it to you. You can return to any Allen Edmund retail store.

I work at a fortune 50 company and wear suits everyday and these are noticeably better than a lot of the square toe, overseas made shoes most guys wear.

Originally Posted By: NYSteve
All you need to shop is Allen Edmunds factory seconds at shoebank.com.

US made and typically sell for $400-500 but got for $150-250.

To order you have to call the store listed for the show you like and they will ship it to you. You can return to any Allen Edmund retail store.

I work at a fortune 50 company and wear suits everyday and these are noticeably better than a lot of the square toe, overseas made shoes most guys wear.

Thanks for this!

ALLEN EDMONDS will last your lifetime. Why do I have so many pairs?
confused.gif

Allen Edmonds is a good bet.

I've had a pair of Johnston&Murphy wing tips for about 20 years. They fit great, look new. I've got narrow feet, however, so, my recommendation is to try them on in a store. Each maker uses different lasts, and you need to make certain that they fit perfectly. Good shoes won't "give" and stretch a bit with use. That's cheap leather breaking down quickly...they've got to fit in the store...

Red Wing Heritage. I bought a pair a couple of months ago and they are taking forever to break in. However now that they are getting closer to being broken they are really comfortable walking around the office.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Maybe not the most dressy stuff out there, but Ecco shoes are very comfortable, IME.

Big +1 from a guy with problem feet. All of the shoes mentioned here are fine shoes but, as Astro points out, some will simply fit YOUR feet better. In my case for instance, Allen Edmonds, as good a shoe as there is without going bespoke, does not have a single last that will fit my high arch, high instep feet. So many shoes have changed over the years. I wore Florsheim Imperials for years but they changed. Much of the US shoe industry used to be located in Missouri but like so many other industries nearly all have been offshored. Love my "old-guy" Ecco's (jk Pete) though. Company hails from Denmark but I'm pretty sure they are no longer made there either.

Well it is not the most dressy, and has a square look, I have found Hush-Puppies in the model called Gus to be extremely comfortable and very lite weight. It is a great walking shoe. I save a new pair for formal occasions and have another pair that I wear every day.
I wear a 13 WW (double wide) and there are few shoes to chose from in that size.

JC Penney sells them, and you can also buy them direct from the Hush Puppies web site.

Originally Posted By: GGorman04

Thanks in advance

Since you have a pair that you like, what about having them re-soled? Fairly inexpensive if you can find a good shoe repair shop (a disappearing art).

I like Clark's, they've been very comfortable for me.

For the best look, I wear my Bostonians.
If I need to be dressed up and on my feet all day, I go with the Eccos.
I have long, narrow feet with very high arches...I'd probably be something like a B for width, of course I can only get Ds and the two sides of the shoe just get pulled very close together when I tie them. Eccos feel great for me, maybe if you have flatter feet you wouldn't care for them.

I have two pair of Mezlan shoes bought in the late 90's early 2000, still going strong , only have replaced heels once in a while. Wife was PO'D due to price when I bought them but I still have them and not bought new shoes since. YMMV/. I am sort of retired now but they are comfortable shoes to wear and I would buy them again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back