82 Moto Guzzi SP1000 restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

So, I'm restoring an 82 Moto Guzzi SP1000 and among other things I have replaced-
-Cam
-Camchain
-Cylinders
-Pistons+rings
-Refurbished top-end (rehoned, valve guides, valves, lifters etc.)
-Oil pump

So to give this engine the best possible start, does it need some special break in oil?
And how many miles between oil changes in the beginning?

It does not have shared engine/ gearbox oil btw, and it's air/oil cooled.

Back in 1982 I don't believe they recommended anything special for break in for that motor. So I would use whatever wt oil the manual specs for it. Oil nowadays is better then oil from way back then, plus it made it 35 years on that oil. Post some pictures of it when it's road ready.,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Back in 1982 I don't believe they recommended anything special for break in for that motor. So I would use whatever wt oil the manual specs for it. Oil nowadays is better then oil from way back then, plus it made it 35 years on that oil. Post some pictures of it when it's road ready.,,

The new parts are supposed to have better tolerance than the originals.

Quote:
Depending on the ramp angle and spring pressure you might want an oil with a fair dose of zddp.

Yeah, planning on Amsoil Z-ROD or Valvoline VR1 racing.

Originally Posted By: rekre
Yeah, planning on Amsoil Z-ROD or Valvoline VR1 racing.

A vote for Valvoline. My Harley will get VR1 as soon as I run out of my stash of Brad Penn 20W50.

Nope, VR-1 street (Silver Bottle).

VR-1 Racing (Black Bottle) has the wrong add pak for street use. It is made to be changed after every race, or once a weekend, whatever...

My HS best bud had (has) a bunch of old Guzzi's. Started buying them new in the 1970's with a 750 Ambassador. Been through many motors. Question is are the barrels Nika-Sil or iron? If Nika-Sil they are a bit more touchy about oil. If iron liners they will run fine on HDEO (Delo400 15W-40 would be a good oil).

Prolly the best all around oil might be Delo400 15W-30 SD (severe duty) for break in and for the first 30,000 miles. Change every 3K for a while. After that, you might step over to regular Delo 400 15W-40.

These are not hard on oil as bike engines go. Ring fitment and bore prep are pretty crucial, but the rest of the motor is not more critical than any air cooled big'ish bike engine.

Rear end lube is another story. Guzzi's can push out a set of rear gears pretty easily. The seals will go and may oil up the rear tire... We usually use Mercury Quicksilver super tough gear oil, aka High-Performance Gear Lube. But Red Line Lite Shock Proof works pretty good too
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Nope, VR-1 street (Silver Bottle).

VR-1 Racing (Black Bottle) has the wrong add pak for street use. It is made to be changed after every race, or once a weekend, whatever...

My HS best bud had (has) a bunch of old Guzzi's. Started buying them new in the 1970's with a 750 Ambassador. Been through many motors. Question is are the barrels Nika-Sil or iron? If Nika-Sil they are a bit more touchy about oil. If iron liners they will run fine on HDEO (Delo400 15W-40 would be a good oil).

Prolly the best all around oil might be Delo400 15W-30 SD (severe duty) for break in and for the first 30,000 miles. Change every 3K for a while. After that, you might step over to regular Delo 400 15W-40.

These are not hard on oil as bike engines go. Ring fitment and bore prep are pretty crucial, but the rest of the motor is not more critical than any air cooled big'ish bike engine.

Rear end lube is another story. Guzzi's can push out a set of rear gears pretty easily. The seals will go and may oil up the rear tire... We usually use Mercury Quicksilver super tough gear oil, aka High-Performance Gear Lube. But Red Line Lite Shock Proof works pretty good too
smile.gif

I thought it was your sulphur rich fuel, not oil, that degraded nikasil? It's not really a problem over here where we've had ULSU & ULSD for years and years..

Could be. But good oil seems to slow the process. A few of my buds older Guzzi's went over 100,000 before they had to be rebuilt, even on USA gas...

He also started running 100:1 2-stroke oil every few tank fulls. That may have helped ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back