2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8l Automatic - Cooland drain &

Status
Not open for further replies.
fill .

We have owned the car , not quite 2 years . It has set on the lot for around 200 days before we bought it .

Went down to Wally World and bought a gallon of 100% Dexcool . Pulled the radiator hose off of the water pump , after I had removed the cap from the pressurized coolant reservoir .

The hose has a bend like a " p-trap " and I did not get all the coolant out of the radiator / block . Let it drain for about 15 minutes . Re attached the hose . ( Do I hate factory spring clamps ! ) Re-filled the reservoir , squeezed both radiator hoses to burp air out of the system . Repeated until I was no longer getting any air to burp out .

This left the reservoir over filled . Had Wifey start the car & looked for leaks . Found none . Praise the Lord ! :)

Wifey left on an errand . Will check fluid level & for leaks , when she returns .

I have read all kinds of things , good & bad , about Dexcool . This is my first experience with it . I suppose we will see , in time . It looked , maybe a little dirty ? Hard to tell if I am seeing a little rust or the orange dye .

I have used the cheapest green coolant , in all my other cars .

God bless
Wyr

The service interval on the FF of dexcool used to be like 5 years/150k miles.

Any reason you did it early? The only issue I'm aware of is the possibility of it gelling if you have an air pocket trapped in the system.

Yes , well , mostly just unfamiliar with Dexcool . Have read the horror stories concerning Dexcool . Including gelling .

Have used the old green AF for over 45 years .

Figured , drain & fill at about 2 years could not hurt anything & might possibly help . And only cost me $ 15 + tax .

My Wife & me , this is only the 2nd new car we have ever purchased . At our age , may be the last . Hope being more proactive about preventive maintenance , may make it last as long as we are still able to drive ?

God bless
Wyr

Well, as long as you recycled the coolant then I can't think of any reason it would be bad.

You diluted it, yes? I try to always use distilled water to just help avoid any potential deposits from forming. I'm not sure how much of an issue that actually is with today's antifreeze, though.

To ensure there are no air pockets, you can jack up the corner of the car that makes the coolant reservoir cap the highest point (remove the cap), and then run the engine until the thermostat opens. A light rev or two of the engine will help move things along as well.

As the new coolant moves through the heater core and various other places, it will push any air bubbles along until they find their way back to the pump and the air will release out of the open reservoir cap.

So , have the negative issues with DexCool been solved . I hear of it allowing severe corrosion , attacking gaskets / o-rings and the gellong .

Thanks ,

I think the issues you mention were mostly on earlier GM models using plastic 'type' engine gaskets, angle neck fill holes and non pressurized recovery tanks. That combination made for issues with the 2eha inhibitor used in Dex attacking non compatible gaskets. The latter two design characteristics would tend to lead to gelling as filling the radiator to the top was difficult, and air in the system a component of the gelling that occurred.

In newer models engineered specifically for Dexcool those issues should be a thing of the past. With compatible gaskets, orings and pressurized recovery tanks, I'd have no fear of using Dexcool. Ford switched over to DexCool on newer and models from G-05 some years ago. However, they did not back spec Dex for earlier models specing G05, that could tell you something about gasket and oring compatibility.

Otoh, because of 2eha I won't use Dex and universal Dexclones on vehicles not specing it. 'Might' be fine, but with readily available reasonably priced aftermarket alternatives in most all AF types now, no reason to take a chance imo.

My Buick is a 2006 model & the Chevy Sonic 2015 .

If any problems develop , I would think it would be with the Buick . I think / pretty sure the owner's manual calls for Dexos . Is that new enough to be " out of the woods " ?

I do not think the coolant recovery tank is pressurized ?

Seems to me Dexos was a solution in search of a problem ?

Thanks ,

The Sonic should be fine. The Buick specing Dex, hard to say. I'm not sure when GM reengineered the LIM gaskets which was the main issue with compatibility with DexCool. But if they've lasted this long, they've done well. And if you can view recovery tank and down fill hole, should be able to detect any gelling, which as long as regularly maintained and kept filled, imo is less an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back