Tire choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally gave in and took my LTX's back to see what I could get on prorate. I don't yet know what they will do for me. My guess is that I'm stuck with LTX's again.

But on the chance that I have some freedom, what do I want? I don't want Michelin. Putting aside any bad feelings, truth is that I will be putting under 10k/year onto the truck. Up here 40k is often an upper limit on tire anyhow. [My LTX's had 5-6 32's left after 42k and that was with lots of highway commuting.] With so few miles I would like something with more off road traction. Not mud bogging but something won't need 4WD on wet grass. Nothing crazy, preferably no tire hum, but something I won't worry about getting stuck in either.

Suggestions?

BTW, I plan on running my iPike's for a winter tire, so snow and ice traction aren't high on the list. If the tire has them, great--I'll make those snows last longer by only using for 3-4 months of the year.

What tire size do you need? What car is it for?
smile.gif

Look at Cooper SRX or AT3's. Continental TerrainContact is what I just put on my Tundra a couple weeks ago.

Apologies! Forgot to mention vehicle. This would be my Tundra. Tire size 255/70R18 although I'm tempted to plus size into 275/65R18.

I have run Cooper Discover M+S tires on my previous F150s and while they were awesome winter tires, they were overly aggressive (and fuel consuming) for the rest of the year.

My current F150 was purchased with worn out Firestone Destination A/T tires and they were very quiet and smooth. I mention that because some tires get noisy late in their life. I almost went with them for that reason. I ended up going with Yokohama Geolandar G015 in the stock size of 275/65 R18. They ride and handle very nice, but I don't race through the curves either. Very quiet, too (although I mostly drive only 55mph or less). They have the mountain/snow flake symbol indicating the severe winter weather rating. My fuel economy seems to be unaffected going from the worn out Firestones to the new Yokos, but it may be just the improved weather and summer fuel, though. They're certainly not causing excessive fuel consumption, anyway. I've had the new tires only a few weeks now, but very happy so far.

Originally Posted By: supton
I finally gave in and took my LTX's back to see what I could get on prorate. I don't yet know what they will do for me. My guess is that I'm stuck with LTX's again.

Having to replace it with the same tire may depend on the dealer. DTD/DT told me that when my Coopers die at less than 50% of their tread-life expectancy, I can get any tire brand I choose, that the refund will come from Cooper regardless. I'll likely get Coopers again in any case.

Apologies! Forgot to mention vehicle. This would be my Tundra. Tire size 255/70R18 although I'm tempted to plus size into 275/65R18.

ok

For 255/70-18

DTD still has their memorial day sale, and the General Grabber HTS60 has two rebates. If that tire does not suit your needs, there's also the Yokohama Geolandar AT G015

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

ok

For 255/70-18

DTD still has their memorial day sale, and the General Grabber HTS60 has two rebates. If that tire does not suit your needs, there's also the Yokohama Geolandar AT G015

I won't know what the tire shop will give me yet. Might be another week before Michelin gets back to them, I'm guessing. Maybe more. They thought it might take up to a month.
frown.gif
Waited too long to get the issue fixed.

I went BFG K0 2s and they are treating me quite well (Quiet, smooth, ect) for my mostly street and once in a great while dirt use. I've also enjoyed cooper AT3s. I would consider the Michelin AT2 tire as well if you are given a generous pro rata. It wont last as long as the LTX but should be more durable and off roadable.

Get out a calculator and calculate how much it'll cost if you have to buy Michelins again at the Pro-rated rate and see what it costs for the short life of 3-1/2 years or so.

Then if they won't let you get any tire other than Michelin, calculate the cost of the tires over 6 years (or whatever you expect them to last). Might be cheaper in the long run to get a non-Michelin if they won't Pro-rate for another brand.

If you want something a little more aggressive, BFG All Terrain is what I'd use. We've had a lot of sets in my family, my Jeep has them. Great tires, reasonable noise, handling, and tread life. They're really tough off-road which is what my Jeep sees. They're the only tire my Jeep will ever see, and I'm keeping it forever.

I won't know what the tire shop will give me yet. Might be another week before Michelin gets back to them, I'm guessing. Maybe more. They thought it might take up to a month.
frown.gif
Waited too long to get the issue fixed.

Forget about the useless pro-rate and just get one of the DTD specials now. But if you can wait a month, DTD will have another sale for the 4th of July
smile.gif

I can wait. I have some 4 year old Duelers still in the shed, must be hard as rocks now, which I could use, if I had to. Right now I gas up the truck maybe once a month! It's a bit pitiful, really. At this rate I might as well keep my snows on.

I like the hankook dynapro that are on my f150. not to noisy and handle the small amount of off pavement driving I do with ease

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Get out a calculator and calculate how much it'll cost if you have to buy Michelins again at the Pro-rated rate and see what it costs for the short life of 3-1/2 years or so.

Then if they won't let you get any tire other than Michelin, calculate the cost of the tires over 6 years (or whatever you expect them to last). Might be cheaper in the long run to get a non-Michelin if they won't Pro-rate for another brand.

If you want something a little more aggressive, BFG All Terrain is what I'd use. We've had a lot of sets in my family, my Jeep has them. Great tires, reasonable noise, handling, and tread life. They're really tough off-road which is what my Jeep sees. They're the only tire my Jeep will ever see, and I'm keeping it forever.

Looking at records I paid $978 in 2013 for these; removing the typical $20 per mnt/bal I get $224.50 each. Wallyworld has 'em at $194, BJ's at $188 and no idea what this shop now sells them for. Am guessing $200 if "everyone" else sells for less than back then. Or $220 if road hazard is added?

Anyhow, at 5 and 6 32's left, I come up with about 45% worn. So if I'm to pay 45% then it'd be 0.45*$200*4+$80 or $440. Or $484 if I go by the 2013 price. Technically it's cheaper to wait it out. Looking at DTD sales and skipping any road hazard I come up with $540 for General Grabber HTS60's, $541 for Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 (which I think I'd get if I were to buy anything), $496 for Cooper Discover A/T3. Then again, that's assuming I get a decent prorate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back